Found 18th Apr 2009
Looking at getting a HD TV (the 32" LG from Curry's on offer over the Easter weekend seemed good) but the picture quality for normal telly seems pretty naff overall.

I know that the picture quality of digital telly (freeview) isn't as good as analogue but via my freeview box it looks fine on my current standard CRT 28" telly, on HD TVs I've seen in store it looks a bit pants.

Obviously Sky and the HD channels look better but I don't want Sky, is it worth upgrading my telly just for the PS3 and blu-ray's?

1. Misc
  2. TV
  3. HD TV
7 Comments

i think so, the difference in quality for watching films, playing games etc on the ps3 is amazing especially with a good surround sound system...depends how much use you will get out of it...if your willing to pay for blu rays (which are coming down in price by alot actually) and watch alot of films, you'll notice and appreciate the difference...if not, might just be money wasted

In my own experience. Freeview looks fine on my Samsung Hd lcd but SKY looks pixelated on a lot of the channels

the new tv with screen of led nice

Original Poster

Just looking through the Curry's website... can't believe how many LG tv's don't have headphone sockets... not that it's a major requirement but it's something nice to have for when everyone else in the house is asleep!

With regards to contrast ratio, it is the higher the better, right?

Degeneratemoo;4966636

Just looking through the Curry's website... can't believe how many LG … Just looking through the Curry's website... can't believe how many LG tv's don't have headphone sockets... not that it's a major requirement but it's something nice to have for when everyone else in the house is asleep!With regards to contrast ratio, it is the higher the better, right?

completely ignore anything about contrast ratio matey...its all complete bullshlacker...it means how much the bright ares of the screen stand out in comparison to the dark areas, and the numbers are so stupidly calculated that they dont really represent much...even if they did theres not much at all to notice...its best just to look at tv's with your own eyes and make a decision that way...dont go for a tele straight away, simply because it has a higher contrast ratio...

Original Poster

Ok, thanks for that info.

theres no legal way of defining contrast ratio so any manufacturer can make a claim about their screen and it would be very hard to prove or disprove otherwise unless they specify exactly how they came to that figure and under what conditions.

native contrast ratio is very rarely stated on tv specs.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Has the amount of Apple fanboys increased on the site after the redesign?11
    2. Urgent help needed with travel agent56
    3. Submit Mobile Deals from Comparison sites22
    4. NEWBIE Help with a new laptop or PC please?!33

See more discussions