Quality "Pro" Android Apps - List your Favourites and Share with the Community

Found 23rd Aug 2017
Hello all, I've somehow managed to accumulate more than £33 in Google Credits from answering Google surveys. In an effort to reduce this balance, I'm turning to the HUKD community for help.

So, what do I want from the community? Good question! I'm looking for Personal recommendations for Android "Pro" Apps that Users feel are worth their weight in gold, and can justify their price tag - along with reasons explaining why they are worth buying.

The benefits of community involvement are two fold...

1) You'll hopefully open somebodies eyes to good quality apps they may not be aware of, thus spreading the love (and helping me reduce my balance).
2) Others in the community can hopefully also benefit from pooled knowledge and experience.

My hope is for as many people as possible to benefit from this thread, by collectively sharing top quality apps, so more and more people can take advantage of others' experiences (good and bad). There are far too many poor quality apps in the Play store, for various reasons:

» Poor developer responsiveness
» Too many ads (free versions)
» Little or no App development over time OR App abandoned by developer
» Broken apps after update etc.

Let's collectively help each other avoid the dross out there.

Lift up the quality apps and shine a light on the bad ones.

====================================================

To kick things off, I'd like to recommend an App I've been using multiple times per day for years!

Price: £1.99 at the time of buying
Reasons: The automation possibilities within this app are vast. Over the years, I've managed to replicate the functions of other apps within this single app, replacing the others completely!

If you've ever used IFTTT / IF, you'll understand this app very quickly.

In Macrodroid, you create Macros which have a specific function. It works on the basis of creating one (or more) TRIGGERS[T] - think of Triggers as criteria to be met before the app completes an ACTION[A] or Actions. You can also set CONSTRAINTS[C] so the Macro only runs under certain conditions.

Some Macro examples I have on my phones:

#Let family member(s) know that I've arrived at a given location safely with a single button press#

[T] Press Widget button - placed on the home screen of phone
[A] Send pre-scripted SMS "I've arrived" to one or more mobile numbers
[C] null

#Reminder to Drink more water during the day#

[T] Every 2hrs
[A] Play "water.mp3" audio file
[C] Restrict between 9am - 10pm

#Automatically OR Manually backup received media (photos / videos etc), this macro has 2 Triggers so I can either wait for the daily Trigger[T1] to fire or Manually fire the other Trigger[T2]#

[T1] Daily* at 11.45pm
[T2] Press Widget button - located on home screen of phone
[A] Backup media files (from multiple locations like Whatsapp, the Camera, Screenshots, Downloads) to the SD Card
[C] null

* this could be Weekly or Monthly, the choice is yours!

These are just 3 macro examples. I've hardly scratched the surface with what I could show you. One of my phones has roughly 36 macros helping to automate repetitive tasks!!!

The FREE version of Macrodroid is limited to 5 macros and has adverts within the app. I recommend this for people who like to save themselves time and effort on repetitive tasks!

I'm in no way connected to the Developer of this app. I just like it VERY much.

====================================================

Which apps do you love and why?
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Original Poster
Another App I'd like to recommend:

Price: Free
Reason: With this app, Google periodically sends me short surveys to answer and pays for my responses. You won't get rich from the surveys but they can help pay for apps over time.
It's pretty sad that you rely on an app to let you know you need to drink more water.

Surely, if you listen to your body, it'll let you know when it needs fluid.

Auto backup on my mobile does what it's supposed to do without the need for other 3rd party apps.
Original Poster
psychedelicrenegade2 h, 24 m ago

It's pretty sad that you rely on an app to let you know you need to drink …It's pretty sad that you rely on an app to let you know you need to drink more water.Surely, if you listen to your body, it'll let you know when it needs fluid.Auto backup on my mobile does what it's supposed to do without the need for other 3rd party apps.

Thanks for your constructive contribution
FolderPair Pro
Macrodroid (paid version)
Tasker, although Macrodroid is much easier to use and may be sufficient for your needs.
Original Poster
terriclarkfan1 h, 26 m ago

FolderPair Pro Tasker

Hiya Terriclarkfan,
I couldn't find "FolderPair Pro", do you have a link? I'm currently using ES File Explorer - not the Pro version (yet) I'm having to turn off a number of the 'extras'. Would like to try out "FolderPair Pro" to see how that compares.

"Tasker" I've used in the past, not the paid version though. I don't remember how good or bad my experience of it was.
@TheDiscountSeeker My mistake, it's "FolderSync". Try the free version, if you like it it's only £2.68 for the pro. It lets you automatically backup folders on your phone to various cloud services such as Dropbox, Mega, Google Drive etc.
AFWall+ (Donate)
XPrivacy Pro (Use this and AFWall+ to block ads/internet access of any app, no need to buy the Pro version, unless the Pro version has additional content).
Titanium Backup
Root Explorer
Tasker
TomTom Go
Locus Maps
Flightradar24
Sun Surveyor
Listen Audiobook Player
K-@ Mail Pro
Moon+ Reader Pro
AnyMote Smart Remote
Photo Mate R3
FingerSecurity
Greenify
MiXplorer. Easily beats ANY file manager app available and is free.

Pops
Original Poster
chocci22 m ago

I tried that and its awful. very basic with no customisation and cant even …I tried that and its awful. very basic with no customisation and cant even browse network drives

@chocci - Which one did you prefer / decide to use instead? I'm using the ES File Explorer (Free). I've had to turn off some of the many annoying elements, but I find it pretty good. Not tried any of the above suggestions posted previously - yet!
Original Poster
@SUMMONER Great list of apps! Thanks for contributing. I've only looked at the video for: UK Bus Checker - Live Times I currently use London Live Bus Countdown and it works fairly well. A few dropouts from time to time but on the whole positive. Your listing looks better, I'll give it a go! Thanks
TheDiscountSeeker27 m ago

@chocci - Which one did you prefer / decide to use instead? I'm using …@chocci - Which one did you prefer / decide to use instead? I'm using the ES File Explorer (Free). I've had to turn off some of the many annoying elements, but I find it pretty good. Not tried any of the above suggestions posted previously - yet!

Tried nearly all the file explorer apps as I use it a lot. Still with ES explorer free as it has the most options and network compatibility although its getting very bloated now with many annoying 'extras' that you cant turn off (daily space usage notification does my head in!)

the only ones I have paid for are:-

mx player pro (10p)

nova launcher (10p)

poweramp (10p)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My most used app is TV TIME as it helps me know what episodes I have watched and their worldwide air times

play.google.com/sto…ime

Plus FLUD for torrents

play.google.com/sto…lud

weather timeline (great widget)

play.google.com/sto…her

Diskusage is great for finding what is using all your space

play.google.com/sto…age

App Volume - sets volume on a per app level

play.google.com/sto…rol

Best browser by far I have used is OPERA
chocci1 h, 21 m ago

I tried that and its awful. very basic with no cusomisation and cant even …I tried that and its awful. very basic with no cusomisation and cant even browse network drives

It can, the technical term is SAMBA shares if you are referring to a Windows network. It's also built around customisation throughout so I am struggling to accept what you say.

Are you sure you are talking about the same app?

Pops
popolou4 h, 14 m ago

It can, the technical term is SAMBA shares if you are referring to a …It can, the technical term is SAMBA shares if you are referring to a Windows network. It's also built around customisation throughout so I am struggling to accept what you say.Are you sure you are talking about the same app? Pops

Yep, same app

Couldn't detect my NAS at all. Es file Explorer spotted it immediately.

Doesn't support multiple tabbed windows or favourites either from what I recall

Not on the play store either is it?

Update: just tried it again and worked out how to find nas and bookmarks and tabs

It's very quick, clean looking and no bloatware

Thanks very much
Edited by: "chocci" 25th Aug 2017
Coming from Astro, i know the feeling.

Pops
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions