Quality Street/Roses tins getting smaller every year?

Found 24th Dec 2012
Anyone else noticed how the Quality Street an Roses chocolate tins have been slowly getting smaller over the years but never seem to drop on price? I didn't notice the difference until we got out an old Quality Steet tin and compared on the two.

There 1.25kg of chocolate in the big tin, and only 795g in the smaller one.

Picture in the second post.
Community Updates
48 Comments
Original Poster Banned
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b213/Dan_man/image-6_zpseea8d006.jpg
in a couple of years you will have 1 Choc in a tin...
Have you ever considered the raw ingredients are getting more and more expensive, and that the transportation and insurance and producing costs are becoming more and more expensive.

Have you considered how narrow minded you can be creating posts like these that with little thought, and posts that are pretty pointless?
Of course, this has been done to death... every year, but wouldn't it be more honest of the manufacturers to just up the rrp? That's the point of these posts.
Edited by: "dazzer1975" 24th Dec 2012
Original Poster Banned
Chiptivo

Have you ever considered the raw ingredients are getting more and more … Have you ever considered the raw ingredients are getting more and more expensive, and that the transportation and insurance and producing costs are becoming more and more expensive.Have you considered how narrow minded you can be creating posts like these that with little thought, and posts that are pretty pointless?

Wow, sorry oh mighty internet warrior. I'll make sure to run an idea for a thread by you before I post it next time just incase it doesn't meet your standards.

I feel sorry for anyone who has to spend Christmas with a tool like you.
Not liking the ' antique pine ' one bit!
I would not spend my Christmas with my partner taking pictures of boxes of cheap chocolates and moaning that they are staying the same price, but getting smaller.

But, hey..

Merry Christmas
Chiptivo

I would not spend my Christmas with my partner taking pictures of boxes … I would not spend my Christmas with my partner taking pictures of boxes of cheap chocolates and moaning that they are staying the same price, but getting smaller.But, hey..Merry Christmas

Lmao
Chiptivo

I would not spend my Christmas with my partner taking pictures of boxes … I would not spend my Christmas with my partner taking pictures of boxes of cheap chocolates and moaning that they are staying the same price, but getting smaller.But, hey..Merry Christmas

But you are spending it commenting on said pictures LMAO
May I please make an public apology to the OP regarding this post. I am out of order, and I do apologise. I am very tired, and am going to go for a little sleep..

I am being sincere.
Chiptivo

May I please make an public apology to the OP regarding this post. I am … May I please make an public apology to the OP regarding this post. I am out of order, and I do apologise. I am very tired, and am going to go for a little sleep..I am being sincere.

Hang on, if this is the case , how do i get my like back?
Yes and every year they get more and more duplicate posts for them on here ...... easter egg deals anyone?

Edited by: "jase.2" 24th Dec 2012
Chiptivo

Have you ever considered the raw ingredients are getting more and more … Have you ever considered the raw ingredients are getting more and more expensive, and that the transportation and insurance and producing costs are becoming more and more expensive.Have you considered how narrow minded you can be creating posts like these that with little thought, and posts that are pretty pointless?

Whoa! Dry your eyes dearie, what's up...you work for Nestlé?

It's not about increases in price, it's about profiteering, pretending they are giving consumers a good deal when they patently are not. Tins reduced from 1kg to 750g, more expensive ingredient chocolates removed from the tin in favour of cheaper options. This seems to be common practice amongst a lot of their products nowadays and they think we are too thick to notice. Whilst there are happy clappers out there willing to keep taking these kicks in the nuts nothing will ever change.
I buy the smaller boxes when there on offer and fill two old tins with an assortment of everything roses, quality street, heroes, celebrations and anything else I find on special.
I buy Hotel Chocolat at £20 a box, eat them, and use the boxes and stuff them full of quality street. I then give them as gifts!

Win Win..
Edited by: "Chiptivo" 24th Dec 2012
I'm more bothered about why there's always less of the nice Roses (strawberry cream, orange cream, caramel keg) and more of the horrible ones (hazlenut in chocolate, Brazilian darkness)
Its called inflation. They could increase the price or reduce the product size. They chose to do the latter.
everything has become smaller as they are trying to keep the price down.

crisps being the most noticeable.
jonny619447

Its called inflation. They could increase the price or reduce the product … Its called inflation. They could increase the price or reduce the product size. They chose to do the latter.

That is what I said earlier, but in a horrible condescending way..

Sorry again.
mutley1

everything has become smaller as they are trying to keep the price … everything has become smaller as they are trying to keep the price down.crisps being the most noticeable.

The price isn't being kept down. Instead, they are raising it in a deceptive fashion, it is the deception that annoys people who complain about it.

Chiptivo

That is what I said earlier, but in a horrible condescending way.. Sorry … That is what I said earlier, but in a horrible condescending way.. Sorry again.

Its Christmas, I'm being nice.
dazzer1975

The price isn't being kept down. Instead, they are raising it in a … The price isn't being kept down. Instead, they are raising it in a deceptive fashion, it is the deception that annoys people who complain about it.

if the box stayed the same the price would be a lot higher and so they think people would not buy it as they would think it is too much for them to afford.

i would rather pay the higher price and they keep the same size.
Serious op? there is a lot more important things then a chocolate tin getting smaller ...................

Like where the **** is the galaxy truffle gone in celebration's?????

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4358549797_db7b161fdc.jpg

??????
Edited by: "alanlukeb1" 24th Dec 2012
dazzer1975

The price isn't being kept down. Instead, they are raising it in a … The price isn't being kept down. Instead, they are raising it in a deceptive fashion, it is the deception that annoys people who complain about it.

Yet people still buy them, and the people moaning will continue to buy them. The best way to protest would be to boycott the products.
Chiptivo

Tin is expensive too.

Aluminium & plastic would be cheaper.
mutley1

if the box stayed the same the price would be a lot higher and so they … if the box stayed the same the price would be a lot higher and so they think people would not buy it as they would think it is too much for them to afford.i would rather pay the higher price and they keep the same size.

Precisely, they choose to adopt the latter because they fear the perception of raising prices would impact upon their sales. Instead, they try to give the impression that you are paying the same as you always have, when you quite clearly haven't.

The fact they chose the method they did is what speaks of their cynical and dishonest motives... just doesn't sit right.

Of course it is their choice, and they can charge what they want, just wish they would make changes in an open, transparent and honest way.
jonny619447

Yet people still buy them, and the people moaning will continue to buy … Yet people still buy them, and the people moaning will continue to buy them. The best way to protest would be to boycott the products.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a boycott of quality street, merely a bit of honesty from the manufacturers rather than underhanded tactics to retain the appearance of normality. You are allowed to comment on something in a less than glowing way without demanding the organisation of a people's protest movement.
dazzer1975

I don't think anyone is suggesting a boycott of quality street, merely a … I don't think anyone is suggesting a boycott of quality street, merely a bit of honesty from the manufacturers rather than underhanded tactics to retain the appearance of normality. You are allowed to comment on something in a less than glowing way without demanding the organisation of a people's protest movement.

If I felt that a company were being underhand with me, I personally wouldn't buy the product again. To start a thread about a product and then take pictures of two tins on Christmas eve you must be pretty peeved. The great thing about the 21st century is the amount of choice we have, choose a different brand vote with your wallets.

I don't buy Budweiser anymore. That was my favourite lager until they decided to reduce the alcohol content by 0.2% so that they pay less tax, I felt they were trying to pull a sly one so I don't buy them anymore.

Edited by: "jonny619447" 24th Dec 2012
jonny619447

If I felt that a company were being underhand with me, I personally … If I felt that a company were being underhand with me, I personally wouldn't buy the product again. To start a thread about a product and then take pictures of two tins on Christas eve you must be pretty peeved. The great thing about the 21st century is the amount of choice we have, choose a different brand vote with your wallets.

I don't buy them personally for this precise reason. I am still not suggesting we set up a consumer action group with the agenda of altering the size of quality street tins.

I also can't speak for the motives of the op, what I have said on this thread is purely my thoughts and what I suspect the motives of the op where. I didn't however think he was trying to start a boycott movement... but I could be wrong.
whatsThePoint

so you think a tin should go up in price to £20 and the weight go back to … so you think a tin should go up in price to £20 and the weight go back to what it was originally

Of course it should, it is called consumer choice. If you want to buy 800g of quality street then buy a box or a jar ... or shock horror, a smaller sized tin retained at the price of £5

Tinned quality street whatever the weight, would (should) be priced on weight, so why wouldn't you buy the £20 old weight tin, if you would buy the old weight tin before.

£5 for 800g or £10 for 1.6g or presumably £20 for 3.2kg... whats the difference, aside from the manner in which they chose to present it to the public.
dazzer1975

I don't buy them personally for this precise reason. I am still not … I don't buy them personally for this precise reason. I am still not suggesting we set up a consumer action group with the agenda of altering the size of quality street tins.I also can't speak for the motives of the op, what I have said on this thread is purely my thoughts and what I suspect the motives of the op where. I didn't however think he was trying to start a boycott movement... but I could be wrong.

I don't think he was trying to do that either, but boycotting rather than starting a thread seems more logical. Unless he thinks people are that dim they didn't notice that a tin has gone down in size by 30%.

Tins used to be a tenner anyway didn't they?
http://i50.tinypic.com/1zd8bah.jpg

Considering the average person nowadays is likely to be a lard ****, they're doing us all a favour by making the tins smaller.

I don't know what the figures are but I bet there are more diabetic people today than there were twenty five years ago.
Edited by: "Mark2111" 24th Dec 2012
sancho1983

I'm more bothered about why there's always less of the nice Roses … I'm more bothered about why there's always less of the nice Roses (strawberry cream, orange cream, caramel keg) and more of the horrible ones (hazlenut in chocolate, Brazilian darkness)

I emailed them about that one year, I sorted them out into piles of flavours and then took a picture. There was only about 3/4 each of strawberry and orange creams compared with 7/8 of the other carpy flavours. They sent me a £5 voucher for my trouble (so cost of another tine really).
And yes Im a housewife, so I really do have nothing better to do than sort through a tin of sweets!
Edited by: "manda1" 24th Dec 2012
Original Poster Banned
I didn't start this thread to "boycott" quality street, I was just posting a comparison in tins sizes. I don't see where in my OP I was moaning, I just stated quantity has gone down whilst price has stayed the same.

I'm not bothered about the size decrease, but like someone else said its their tactics that are sneaky. They've slowly decreased the quantity and kept the same price without stating they're doing so, they've done it slowly in hope that nobody notices. It's sneaky and dishonest, is rather a price hike and straight up honesty.

I still buy their chocolate because I like it, but that doesn't mean I agree with their tactics.
jonny619447

I don't think he was trying to do that either, but boycotting rather than … I don't think he was trying to do that either, but boycotting rather than starting a thread seems more logical. Unless he thinks people are that dim they didn't notice that a tin has gone down in size by 30%.

I don't know if he thinks that, but I do know nestle (if they are the ones who make qs?) do think that.

but anyway, wtf am I doing? Merry Christmas dude and everyone else bored enough to be posting on here
Original Poster Banned
Indeed I not think people are dim, I was just expressing my opinion in the OP. Like I said on the previous page, I don't agree with their sneaky tactics of decreasing size whilst keeping the price the same, I'd prefer a price increase and honesty.
Edited by: "thequid89" 24th Dec 2012
thequid89

Indeed I not think people are dim, I was just expressing my opinion in … Indeed I not think people are dim, I was just expressing my opinion in the OP. Like I said on the previous page, I don't agree with their sneaky tactics of decreasing size whilst keeping the price the same, I'd prefer a price increase, same size tins and honesty.

unfortunately honesty doesn't exist much in commerce.

how many times have you seen adverts to make you think that if you buy boss aftershave all the women will fall over to sniff you? won't happen.
manda1

I emailed them about that one year, I sorted them out into piles of … I emailed them about that one year, I sorted them out into piles of flavours and then took a picture. There was only about 3/4 each of strawberry and orange creams compared with 7/8 of the other carpy flavours. They sent me a £5 voucher for my trouble (so cost of another tine really). :)And yes Im a housewife, so I really do have nothing better to do than sort through a tin of sweets!

I sort them out every year!!

We always buy two tins (Roses and Heroes usually), sort them all out then put the nice ones in a tin we hide for ourselves and the not so nice ones in a tin we put out for guests. I had 3 Strawberry and 4 Orange creams this year. 9 Brazilian darkness or whatever they are called.

I should have taken a picture
whatsThePoint

the tin has halfed in size, of course people know its getting smaller … the tin has halfed in size, of course people know its getting smaller X)but hopefully you won't of noticed crisps have gone from 40g a packet to 28g or less over the last few years or you'll be starting a thread about that

the crisps get me the most as it makes me feel guilty when i have eaten 6 packets at once and think i have pigged it but actually i have only eaten 2 packs in the old equivalent.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants