Groups

Query regarding new telephone line and switching provider

Hi - this makes no sense to me - maybe it does to someone else.

My friend is moving into new property- it has a pipex phone in there. She cannot get BT phoneline connected until next Tuesday (i.e. no phone for ages) so she thought she would get a pipex number as line already there. Pipex has said they cannot help unless she already has a BT line, So she had to get BT line put in (£122) and then she can switch ( which she won't be able to do either as she will have a minimum 12 month contract). Does this make sense to anyone or have we misunderstood (BT can't /won't comment)?

Thanks very much

12 Comments

" ... It has a Pipex phone in there" What does that mean?

Only BT and cable companies provide phone lines so it can't be a Pipex line. Therefore it must have been on a BT-provided line. If that line has been disconnected by the previous owner then a new connection has to be provided by BT before anything can be connected to it. Therefore, if I read this correctly, both Pipex and BT are right. Or have I mis-understood something?

I think you still may be able to get a BT line installed for free - the offer was untill 30th September but I believe it has now been extended again untill December.
    This applies to new lines, reconnections or even having second lines fitted and isn't dependant on already having a master socket.

The only catch is, you have to sign to an 18 month contract, rather than the usual 12, and you'll need to make at least ten calls per month but these can be inclusive calls if you get a BT package & line rental from only £11.25pr month.

This isn't available online : to get it you need to ring 0800 800 150, lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 9pm, Saturday 8am to 8pm, Sunday 9am to 6pm. When you call, ask for the 'New line free connection offer'.

]http//ww…htm

Original Poster

BT said they have no line there - it is deceased and that it is a pipex phoneline. Pipex have a phone in there (they confirmed this) hence my confusion. Are Pipex not a cable company then?

Original Poster

BeeKeeper;6486599

I think you still may be able to get a BT line installed for free - the … I think you still may be able to get a BT line installed for free - the offer was untill 30th September but I believe it has now been extended again untill December.This applies to new lines, reconnections or even having second lines fitted and isn't dependant on already having a master socket.The only catch is, you have to sign to an 18 month contract, rather than the usual 12, and you'll need to make at least ten calls per month but these can be inclusive calls if you get a BT package & line rental from only £11.25pr month.This isn't available online : to get it you need to ring 0800 800 150, lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 9pm, Saturday 8am to 8pm, Sunday 9am to 6pm. When you call, ask for the 'New line free connection offer'.]http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/public/current/Notice09_boo/2-FrameworkImpl337855.htm

Hi - Where have you seen that this has ben extended until December? Thanks

Telephone lines are installed by BT Openreach, not BT Retail (unless cable lines(NTL/Virgin))...Companies like PIpex/TalkTalk etc. can order a new line but due to cost etc. most companies only allow BT Retail to have a line installed, then take over the phone calls(so you end up paying BT for line rental and the other companie for call/broadband). If the phone has not been used for a couple of weeks, it will need re-doing(therefore costing) and due to the cost Pipex wont get it done but will ask that you have a BT line put in. Any doubts, speak to Ofcom 0300 123 3333 (telecoms regulator).

Original Poster

If the phone has not been used for a couple of weeks, it will need re-doing(therefore costing) and due to the cost Pipex wont get it done but will ask that you have a BT line put in. Any doubts, speak to Ofcom 0300 123 3333 (telecoms regulator).

It is currently being used - they just want a phone on when they move in hence thinking ask the current provider for a new number. If they phone line is on why can't this be done am I missing something? Thanks

fairy;6486717

Hi - Where have you seen that this has ben extended until December? … Hi - Where have you seen that this has ben extended until December? Thanks

]http//fo…639
    Just to confirm that offer has indeed been extended until the 31/12/09. To qualify you must have both your line and calls through BT and make 10 chargeable or inclusive calls calls per month (30 per quarter) with BT or you will be charged a £6.80 per month/£20.40 per quarter on your bill. This charge will appear in the ˜One off charges’ section of your bill.

“Official Company Representative"

I would go further against Pipex...if the phone line in the property is active now and calls can be made/received...then there shouldnt be a reason why they cant open a new account for your friend.

davidn84;6486937

I would go further against Pipex...if the phone line in the property is … I would go further against Pipex...if the phone line in the property is active now and calls can be made/received...then there shouldnt be a reason why they cant open a new account for your friend.

The line may not have been ceased or stopped by the previous occupier. If it's still an active line BT or any other company can't take it over.
    Alot of companies can now install lines via Openreach, Talk Talk, Post Office, Utility warehouse to name a few. Your best bet is to take up the free BT connection offer, you may find that you may have to get a 2nd line installed if the 1st/pipex line is still active.

Banned

my mate just got free bt line installation using the above offer

[QUOTE=davidn84;6486767]..Companies like PIpex/TalkTalk etc. can order a new line but due to cost etc. most companies only allow BT Retail to have a line installed, then take over the phone calls(so you end up paying BT for line rental and the other companie for call/broadband). QUOTE]

Not true in my case, I pay my ISP for my phone line rental and calls.

inactive...i meant initially you can end up paying bt for line rental. A lot of companies now do LLU(local loop unbundling) so that they can take over the line as well as just the calls.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047112
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767266
      3. Show us your Photos 2017. September's Theme - 'Earth, Wind & Fire'32452
      4. love affairs1445

See more discussions