Groups

Question about an online order

Hello all, just want a bit of info, I ordered an item from America, in total including $14.94 postage it cost me roughly $32.99, the postman left a leaflet 2 days ago saying I owe customs £12.99, so I emailed the company I ordered from and told them I was not accepting the package as there was customs to be added and that I would like a refund, they emailed me back and said when they received the package they would only refund the $18.99 I paid for the item and not my postage costs, can try do that? I paid via PayPal, if I had have thought first I could have waited till it was returned and claimed all my money back of PayPal. is there anything I can do to get it all back?

25 Comments

I thought you only paid VAT on items worth over £15 and then import duty on items over £135 see here gov.uk/goo…uty

I do not know whether you will be able to get more back than they offered (I doubt it), but did you not check whether customs duty would be payable when you ordered the item? Did you check their terms for international delivery?

Why should the company pay for the P&P just because you dont want to pay the duty? Its not their fault.

Surely RM wont send it back to the USA without you paying the return postage either?
    Edited by: "chocci" 15th Mar

Original Poster

I've ordered the same thing from them before and never paid customs

feckineejit

I've ordered the same thing from them before and never paid customs

And this time it was stopped, it's the risk you take. You either pay the customs charges or lose p&p.

It is your responsibility to check custom duty/taxes not theirs but I would query it as someone has said you only need to pay it for the items above £15 which yours is not.

kvn618

It is your responsibility to check custom duty/taxes not theirs but I … It is your responsibility to check custom duty/taxes not theirs but I would query it as someone has said you only need to pay it for the items above £15 which yours is not.

he will still have to pay it now and claim it back from the RM as long as he has the correct documents i.e a customes declaration form filled in by the sender

paulj48

I thought you only paid VAT on items worth over £15 and then import duty … I thought you only paid VAT on items worth over £15 and then import duty on items over £135 see here https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

But they include postal charges in the total so , yes this is above the limit.

Plus you will be paying a handling fee.

On the plus side, give it a couple of years and this will happen with things bought from Europe as well.

If that's not the most appropriate username for an issue like this...

mas99

But they include postal charges in the total so , yes this is above the … But they include postal charges in the total so , yes this is above the limit.Plus you will be paying a handling fee.On the plus side, give it a couple of years and this will happen with things bought from Europe as well.

yes, just read that. If the seller had marked the item as a 'gift' he wouldn't have been liable.
    goes back to the same argument I've had before where people buy cheap items from abroad and say they wont pay VAT or Duty as they've never done before.

The customs value is the item price plus the postage. The price you pay is the UK vat price on top of the item and p&p.

If you are being asked to pay £12.99 then £8 of it will be the Royal Mail processing fee. The VAT charge therefore being £4.99. The item is valued (for customs purposes) as £26. The VAT is 20%. Give or take the exchange rate that is being used, the charge is absolutely correct.

Edited by: "windym" 15th Mar

Original Poster

Cheers everyone I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the £12.99 robbing ########

Original Poster

I would love go up and pay it with £13 in pennies but can't be bothered to get on the bus rattling with change

feckineejit

Cheers everyone I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the £12.99 … Cheers everyone I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the £12.99 robbing ########

don't pay.. if u don't receive the item then they have to refund you. just tell the post office to return it and then open a dispute with paypal. they will find in ur favour as u haven't received any item.

feckineejit

Cheers everyone I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the £12.99 … Cheers everyone I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the £12.99 robbing ########

Just think of it as a charge for all the imports you've made. If you've bought twice and only been charged once, then it's not quite as bad.

Next time, be aware that if the total value is over £15 you will need to think about the charge, usually £8 and the VAT of 20% of the whole order cost. If it slips through (and many do) then it's a bonus.
    Edited by: "windym" 15th Mar

brendanhickey

don't pay.. if u don't receive the item then they have to refund you. … don't pay.. if u don't receive the item then they have to refund you. just tell the post office to return it and then open a dispute with paypal. they will find in ur favour as u haven't received any item.

But that really isn't the right thing to do. Presumably the buyer wants the item. Why should the seller be out of pocket purely because the buyer didn't understand import charges?

I had the same problem when my sister moved to Hong kong, she sent me of course me! My nieces and nephews present along with something little for me. I didn't want it!
    Anyway it came with customs and vat charges, I was miffed to say the least.
    I have bought things from China before with nothing to pay with a cn22 label filled with gift, I was telling my sister that I think that is was you were meant to do, anyway she offered to pay it but I said don't worry I'll pay it u didn't know, I mean how can I when she had been so thoughtful.
    So I passed presents to my brother and sister in law with them not realising I had to foot half the cost. :(. Apologies for being a miserable git

windym

But that really isn't the right thing to do. Presumably the buyer wants … But that really isn't the right thing to do. Presumably the buyer wants the item. Why should the seller be out of pocket purely because the buyer didn't understand import charges?

sorry but that isn't his problem. there is no moral responsibility on his part. he ordered something at a said price only to have customs tax added later. he hasn't ret received the item and is well within is rights to refuse delivery.

slevinkelevra

I had the same problem when my sister moved to Hong kong, she sent me of … I had the same problem when my sister moved to Hong kong, she sent me of course me! My nieces and nephews present along with something little for me. I didn't want it!Anyway it came with customs and vat charges, I was miffed to say the least.I have bought things from China before with nothing to pay with a cn22 label filled with gift, I was telling my sister that I think that is was you were meant to do, anyway she offered to pay it but I said don't worry I'll pay it u didn't know, I mean how can I when she had been so thoughtful.So I passed presents to my brother and sister in law with them not realising I had to foot half the cost. :(. Apologies for being a miserable git

​you don't need to pay it for presents. gov.uk/goo…fts

brendanhickey

​you don't need to pay it for presents. h … ​you don't need to pay it for presents. https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/gifts

Yes I know, at the time I was saying I'm sure you don't need to pay for presents, I mean one of the items were baby ugg boots so I guess quite pricey, but I think it may have been because the lack of filling in the correct forms to indicate this, oh well I don't know

brendanhickey

sorry but that isn't his problem. there is no moral responsibility on … sorry but that isn't his problem. there is no moral responsibility on his part. he ordered something at a said price only to have customs tax added later. he hasn't ret received the item and is well within is rights to refuse delivery.

It IS his fault. If you are buying from outside the UK/EU you have to understand what charges YOU are liable for. Those charges are NOTHING to do with the seller. The person buying is IMPORTING.

Aside of that if you feel there is no moral obligation perhaps you need to reset your moral compass or get a new one, preferably from within the UK.

I

brendanhickey

don't pay.. if u don't receive the item then they have to refund you. … don't pay.. if u don't receive the item then they have to refund you. just tell the post office to return it and then open a dispute with paypal. they will find in ur favour as u haven't received any item.

If I'm not wrong it's enough for the seller to prove delivery was attempted and they will have proof if item was sent with a signed for/tracked service. Plus there will be a record of a refused delivery presumably I guess.

Original Poster

well I went and paid the extra told the post office it was a joke charging me £12.99 for stuff that only cost $18, he agreed but still had to pay, will not be buying from the company again, actually found someone closer to home that sells the same item and it works out even cheaper

windym

It IS his fault. If you are buying from outside the UK/EU you have to … It IS his fault. If you are buying from outside the UK/EU you have to understand what charges YOU are liable for. Those charges are NOTHING to do with the seller. The person buying is IMPORTING.Aside of that if you feel there is no moral obligation perhaps you need to reset your moral compass or get a new one, preferably from within the UK. I

Like!

feckineejit

I would love go up and pay it with £13 in pennies but can't be bothered … I would love go up and pay it with £13 in pennies but can't be bothered to get on the bus rattling with change

That would be living up to your username. They would laugh at you and send you on your way
    royalmint.com/hel…nts
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Upgrading qacoustic speaker setup36
      2. Audi A4 2 Batteries and memory card issue58
      3. 34 inch Ultrawide Monitor Suggestions33
      4. Amazon spend £20 and get £5 extra57

See more discussions