Question about bank account guarantors

Found 18th Feb 2012
I have an overdraft which I am very much into and my mum is my guarantor, does this mean she can ask the bank how much I owe because she seems to think this. I Realise its a weird Q.

She is unbelivably nosey and has no respect for privacy.
Community Updates
MiscBank Account
18 Comments
Being a guarantor also gives her the right to smack your bum.

This has to be some kind of a troll question right?
How is she invading your privacy or being nosey?
If you default and cant pay doesn't she have to front the cash?
If anything she's looking after her careless child and looking out for her own interests.
Original Poster
teh arn

Being a guarantor also gives her the right to smack your bum.

Lol im 25 but she would still try. X)
Basically if you default and decide not to repay your bank, they will chase your mum for the debt owed.
Original Poster
fluffyundacrakas

Basically if you default and decide not to repay your bank, they will … Basically if you default and decide not to repay your bank, they will chase your mum for the debt owed.

Sounds tempting but I just want to know If she can find out how much I owe lol.
She cant enquire into the balance owing at present, but as soon as you miss payments of default in any way then then a dept recovery office shall be straight onto her to seize her goods etc if she cant pay off your debt as she acted as your guarantor, a process that takes months. The debt recovery office shall be fast in letting her know whats owed. Good luck with getting it payed off. and if you do have problems paying it off always get in contact with them or a Citizens Advice Beauro for help.

And if your worrying about it you can always talk to the samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 as its a sad fact that up to 16 people take there lives each day in the UK worring about problems like debt.
thedoc23

Sounds tempting but I just want to know If she can find out how much I … Sounds tempting but I just want to know If she can find out how much I owe lol.

Not trying to be funny mate but you sound like a douche of a son. Your mum has acted as guarantor in good faith to get you a bank account obviously because you couldn't manage your own money properly in the past and now you're talking about it's tempting to default and leave her to pick up the pieces? So what if she wants to know how much your OD is, can you not just tell her? FFS it's your mum brah, fix up man and have some respect.
^^^ this ^^^^
Your mum was good enough to be your guarantor, so if you have any respect for her then you should tell her if she asks about it. Your mums probably worried because the banks will chase her for the money you owe. You say your 25, your not a kid so should look out for your mum more.
Edited by: "bigflump" 18th Feb 2012
Original Poster
fluffyundacrakas

Not trying to be funny mate but you sound like a douche of a son. Your … Not trying to be funny mate but you sound like a douche of a son. Your mum has acted as guarantor in good faith to get you a bank account obviously because you couldn't manage your own money properly in the past and now you're talking about it's tempting to default and leave her to pick up the pieces? So what if she wants to know how much your OD is, can you not just tell her? FFS it's your mum brah, fix up man and have some respect.

She guarantored the account when I opened it at the age of about 13. Im 25 now and my finances is personal nothing to do with her I just dont want her knowing how much debt im in. Stop so butthurt.
So close you're account if you're really not in debt (in which case it genuinely isnt her business) and open a new one without her being a guaranteur
thedoc23

She guarantored the account when I opened it at the age of about 13. Im … She guarantored the account when I opened it at the age of about 13. Im 25 now and my finances is personal nothing to do with her I just dont want her knowing how much debt im in. Stop so butthurt.

Your finances have got everything to her if she's the guarantor, she's understandably worried & thats why shes asking you about it!!! If your in trouble & you care for your mum them you should be honest with her and don;t make her phone the bank to find out what's going on oO
Edited by: "bigflump" 19th Feb 2012
Banned
You opened an account at 11? lol I thought you had to be 13 so waited. I went with my ATC (air cadet) ID to open one up with Lloyds (not TSB) as they were offering the best freebie, a black binder - 1997...
I was 9 when I opened an account at a bank and got my visa electron at 11 too.
why is your mother guarantor?? makes no sense.
Original Poster
because when I went to uni I got upgraded to a student account which came with an overdraft. If I cant pay the money back and they chase her for the money then its her problem too unitil then its my account and my debt, if she wanted joint control of my accounts wouldnt that be a joint account? she is guarantor in the event I cant pay the money back. Im not in trouble and will be paying the money back I was joking when I said it's tempting not too I just dont want her to know my limit as she will moan and offer to pay it off for me whilst I want to be independant. Hope you can all sleep at night now. oO
I would imagine your mum would had third party access to your account as part of the guarantor process so would be able to access your account.
Banned
Kids these days.
Original Poster

She guarantored it when I got my student account, thats when I got the overdraft.
tinkerbell28

Erm I think you'll find if they upgraded the terms and conditions of your … Erm I think you'll find if they upgraded the terms and conditions of your account. By changing it, offering different facilities, terms and conditions, introducing credit, etc.Her original guarantor agreement won't stand. It will only be for the account you originally signed up for and the terms of that account.I don't know of any guarantors needed for student accounts, or any ones for that matter, but, unless they got her to resign an agreement when you changed your account, they'll never be able to peruse her for your debt.

thedoc23

because when I went to uni I got upgraded to a student account which … because when I went to uni I got upgraded to a student account which came with an overdraft. If I cant pay the money back and they chase her for the money then its her problem too unitil then its my account and my debt, if she wanted joint control of my accounts wouldnt that be a joint account? she is guarantor in the event I cant pay the money back. Im not in trouble and will be paying the money back I was joking when I said it's tempting not too I just dont want her to know my limit as she will moan and offer to pay it off for me whilst I want to be independant. Hope you can all sleep at night now. oO

thedoc23

She guarantored the account when I opened it at the age of about 13. Im … She guarantored the account when I opened it at the age of about 13. Im 25 now and my finances is personal nothing to do with her I just dont want her knowing how much debt im in. Stop so butthurt.

What traumatic experience have you incurred which would make you come to the conclusion im trying to lie to you over the internet before considering I might have made a mistake in my statment. Im not out to get you, I dont even know you. I was asking a question and made a mistake in my reasoning, I dont know why your being so hostile.
Original Poster
tinkerbell28

So she didn't guarantor at 13 then?

Correct, she didnt. It was my mistake.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions