Question about cheap 4k TVs...

Posted 17th Dec 2019
I'm just starting to look at upgrading to a 4k TV, but am on a severely limited budget. Also, due the space I have to fit the TV, I'm limited to a maximum of a 50" screen. While nosing around, I have been told by both John Lewis and Currys staff that I could get a better TV at a similar price if I went for a 49" as opposed to a 50", although the Currys staff member said that didn't apply so much to LG & Samsung. Can anyone else confirm that? If so, does anyone know why?

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Why you opting for 4K? Nothing is aired in 4K so will be pointless
debcarr1917/12/2019 09:00

It's downhill from here.
Edited by: "Erudite" 17th Dec 2019

Fair point, but I've heard that they can upscale an HD signal, and I'm thinking of picking up a few 4k BluRays...

My current TV (a 46" LG) has started glitching occasionally (mostly just restarting itself every now and then, but very occasionally will come up with an "Insufficient memory to run this application" type error, and go into a restarting app loop), so if I'm going to get a new TV, I thought I may as well go 4k.
I think that may have been true when 50 inch panels first became available a few years ago. I am not so sure that it is the case now.

You also need to take into account the bezel size when looking at screen size. Is the extra inch actual screen size or is it bezel? It will depend upon brand and model.
tawse5717/12/2019 09:12

I think that may have been true when 50 inch panels first became available …I think that may have been true when 50 inch panels first became available a few years ago. I am not so sure that it is the case now.You also need to take into account the bezel size when looking at screen size. Is the extra inch actual screen size or is it bezel? It will depend upon brand and model.

Seriously?!? It never occurred to me that the quoted size would be anything other than the screen size, no matter how large the bezel!

I know that my current 46" is physically smaller than my previous TV (which I think was either 41" or 43"), because that had massive bezels!
Edited by: "NeoDoug1" 17th Dec 2019
NeoDoug117/12/2019 09:19

Seriously?!? It never occurred to me that the quoted size would be …Seriously?!? It never occurred to me that the quoted size would be anything other than the screen size, no matter how large the bezel! I know that my current 46" is physically smaller than my previous TV (which I think was either 41" or 43"), because that had massive bezels!

Yep, you have to be wary of the bezel cheat.

Manufacturers do the same thing with computer monitors and laptop screen sizes. Even smartphone screens.

When I visit Currys I take a tape measure with me to measure actual screen size. Quite a few turn out to be smaller than advertised but have added the bezel depth to make the TV look bigger in advertising.

Another trick is the picture not filling the entire screen - they have a black border around the screen of half an inch. Most people do not notice this when in the shops.

Best to go look at a load of TV's in store and take all of the above into consideration.
Edited by: "tawse57" 17th Dec 2019

Netflix, Prime, YouTube, iPlayer all have 4K content.
winzzz17/12/2019 09:38

Netflix, Prime, YouTube, iPlayer all have 4K content.

And sky, bt and Virgin media have 4k channels
Edited by: "Arto" 17th Dec 2019
Gormond17/12/2019 10:01

The Hisense posted yesterday looks ideal for you - …The Hisense posted yesterday looks ideal for you - https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hisense-h50b7100uk-2019-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-50-with-freeview-play-john-lewis-5-year-warranty-3366049

That's actually the deal that prompted me to ask this question - could I get a technically better TV for a similar price, by dropping 1" of screen size?

Obviously I'm not expecting to get anywhere near the quality of a top-of-the-range OLED screen for sub-£400, but I've heard there's different types of screen panels (Vestel & IPS, or something like that) - which is better?

Stood in Currys, looking at a Samsung 50", with a Sony OLED behind it, with something like a 75" screen, made the Samsung look like , but I'm never going to be able to afford a screen like that...
Don’t forget to check prices at richersounds because most of their TVs have a 6 year warranty included in the price.
Pilsbury1217/12/2019 10:18

Don’t forget to check prices at richersounds because most of their TVs h …Don’t forget to check prices at richersounds because most of their TVs have a 6 year warranty included in the price.

Top tip - thanks!
NeoDoug117/12/2019 09:10

Fair point, but I've heard that they can upscale an HD signal

All 'upscale' means is that they'll display it full screen, rather than as a box using the central 1920x1080 pixels surrounded by black space on each side.

There's no difference between 49" and 50", the quality will depend on the individual model.
EndlessWaves17/12/2019 11:28

All 'upscale' means is that they'll display it full screen, rather than as …All 'upscale' means is that they'll display it full screen, rather than as a box using the central 1920x1080 pixels surrounded by black space on each side.There's no difference between 49" and 50", the quality will depend on the individual model.

True but an upscaler will use some form of interpolation to approximate what the missing pixel would be - This should improve upon the original image although this will vary per manufacturer. The upscaler in my old Sony Bravia was excellent but the same can't be said for my Samsung QLED, especially from SD content.
Gormond17/12/2019 11:34

True but an upscaler will use some form of interpolation to approximate …True but an upscaler will use some form of interpolation to approximate what the missing pixel would be - This should improve upon the original image

It'll produce a different image certainly, whether it's an outright improvement is debatable.
You won’t tell the difference with a cheap tv, also you have to look at optimal viewing distance for 4K or it’s pointless... if you need a new tv then go 4K but get a decent one, otherwise buy a good 1080p...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions