Groups

Question about home insurance

Just wanted to ask if there were any home insurers that covered a manufacturing fault say after the 12 month intial period - i have looked but cant find any that do. Do they only cover accidental damage or both. Was just browsing domestic and general and there prices seemed high but then thought if there any insurers that covered manufactuing defects on say an lcd tv, could be a bonus with quidco being quite high

15 Comments

Well in the case of a TV it's quite easy, buy a Wii and let fly with the remote then claim accidental damage :lol:

I suppose if the fault caused it to catch fire or something you would be covered, but I wouldn't think they would insure it for breakdowns on a B&C policy.

csiman;1811951

https://www.domgen.com/live1/exttpq.nsf/TPQH101P?openform&INSW

I always thought they were a complete ripoff but earlier on I saw this: dixons.co.uk/mar…398

:shock:

you can get appliance cover from some insurers. for years i was covered by norwich union. it covered every domestic appliance upto 5 years old. cost around £12 per month. the policy was recently transferred to domestic and general and the premium has increased to around £15 per month.

I can't see faults like breakdowns, parts failing etc being covered on an insurance policy, only way as Shengis pointed out is if something accidentally happened then you could claim through accidential damage.

Hope this helps?

I use British Gas to cover appliances. They cover 3 at a time, but i can't remember the price. Some items are now 10 years old. They recently replaced the whole drum in a tumble drier. Must have cost more than a new one.:thumbsup:

Why would you need any insurance for this? You have up to 6 years under consumer law to claim against the retailer for a manufacturing fault.

Banned

KDH001;1812594

Why would you need any insurance for this? You have up to 6 years under … Why would you need any insurance for this? You have up to 6 years under consumer law to claim against the retailer for a manufacturing fault.

Have you ever succeeded in a claim going down this route?

Original Poster

KDH001;1812594

Why would you need any insurance for this? You have up to 6 years under … Why would you need any insurance for this? You have up to 6 years under consumer law to claim against the retailer for a manufacturing fault.

well i was considering buying something from play.com, who hide behind jersey regulations so i would have one hell of a hassle with them

Original Poster

oh forgot to add thanks for all the replies - rep left

shengis - thats a pretty good find especially with the dixons codes knocking about it should be even cheaper - you should submit it as a deal

csiman;1812843

Have you ever succeeded in a claim going down this route?

Yes actually, a 4.5 year old tv that the screen failed on. Philip's were most helpful when approached in a civilised manner as opposed to the usual ranting and raving that seems to be the norm these days, and a new tube was fitted at nothing more than shipping costs to myself.

Banned

KDH001;1813934

Yes actually, a 4.5 year old tv that the screen failed on. Philip's were … Yes actually, a 4.5 year old tv that the screen failed on. Philip's were most helpful when approached in a civilised manner as opposed to the usual ranting and raving that seems to be the norm these days, and a new tube was fitted at nothing more than shipping costs to myself.

Had a 3 year old 32" Philips TV with a failed tube damn :x it went to the big recycle dump in the sky

KDH001;1812594

It's not actually 6 years but 'an amount of time you could reasonably expect the item to function'. But I agree, try to claim on something out of warranty and see how far you get. Damn the UK government for not giving us the same protection that the rest of Europe enjoys :x

nipperkipper;1813227

shengis - thats a pretty good find especially with the dixons codes … shengis - thats a pretty good find especially with the dixons codes knocking about it should be even cheaper - you should submit it as a deal

I noticed that on the other thread, just posted the link so you could see the outrageous 'insurance' on it. Half the purchase price over 5 years and it'll be superseded and pretty much obsolete within 6 months anyway :lol: Now that is an insurance scam.

Original Poster

Oh right didnt see the deal - and didnt look at the insurance either - now that is a scam

anyway i guess i will have no protection from play.com, but then again the only other viable option is DSG:-(

The goods that are bought must be suitable for purpose and expected to last for a reasonable time. There is a Parlament Act, I think it is "The Comsumers Goods Act" that protects consumers. A tv, I believe, should have a life of up to 6 or 7 years. Write to the suppliers's head office telling them of your problem, inform them of the Act and if you purchased by credit card send a c.c. to them.
    I did this a few years ago with a tv and the suppliers renewed the tube for free, I had the tv approx 18months.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4532118
      2. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…27120
      3. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546
      4. How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and univers…66

See more discussions