Question about Kodi...?

Found 8th Feb 2016
Hi, Complete newbie on the Kodi front.
Couple of questions.....

I have a Samsung smart TV, do i still need to buy an external box or is it something that can be added on to this?
What channels can i get? (would love Skysports)
What is the picture quality like? Is it the same as the streams i watch on my PC?
I don't have fibre optic broadband, just the normal old one down the phone line. I just done a speed test and i download at 3.4Mb/s... is this a deal breaker?

Thanks

1. Ask
  2. Kodi
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Kodi
10 Comments

You will need some sort of device such as a firestick, raspberry pi or even your laptop conected. You can pick up nearly any channel you want if you know where look for it sky sports can be found with ease, picture quality again will depend where you look for it, i dont have fibre either and i manage just fine.

You can download kodi onto your PC/Laptop, see if you can stream on that device first . If your planning to connect via wifi with your current download speed - forget it. As for watching sports, via kodi streams, be aware the quality can be unwatchable and the buffering so great that you're many minutes behind real time. What kodi is very good for is accessing the catch up services, which is legal and of generally excellent quality. If your a film buff you'll think you're in heaven - but that's illegal and one day you might end up in jail.
Edited by: "Dumbstruck" 8th Feb 2016

proper dodgy

Kodi needs a good stable internet connection like fibre
When im at work i watch skysports on my phone on 3g/4g with a probram called mobdro
I also have both on my tablet and use a link cable to connect to my tv

OP'
You don't need fibre broadband to get kodi' although a good broadband speed is always better as you are simply streaming content from the internet!
You can't add kodi onto your tv - that's a no go currently.
You will need an Amazon Fire stick BUT that only works on wifi - so as your download speed isn't great you may want to consider a box with an Ethernet connection to enable you to cable the box back to your router ( this will help with better streaming ) wifi isn't ideal but by no means a non starter if you use a stick - hard wire will always beat wifi connections which are easily broken.

For a list of channels have a look on you tube' this will give you a better understanding of the content available

Dumbstruck

You can download kodi onto your PC/Laptop, see if you can stream on that … You can download kodi onto your PC/Laptop, see if you can stream on that device first . If your planning to connect via wifi with your current download speed - forget it. As for watching sports, via kodi streams, be aware the quality can be unwatchable and the buffering so great that you're many minutes behind real time. What kodi is very good for is accessing the catch up services, which is legal and of generally excellent quality. If your a film buff you'll think you're in heaven - but that's illegal and one day you might end up in jail.

End up in jail, you're having a laugh.

Dumbstruck

You can download kodi onto your PC/Laptop, see if you can stream on that … You can download kodi onto your PC/Laptop, see if you can stream on that device first . If your planning to connect via wifi with your current download speed - forget it. As for watching sports, via kodi streams, be aware the quality can be unwatchable and the buffering so great that you're many minutes behind real time. What kodi is very good for is accessing the catch up services, which is legal and of generally excellent quality. If your a film buff you'll think you're in heaven - but that's illegal and one day you might end up in jail.

Why on earth would you use Kodi to access cath up services which are free to access accross all major channels with a dedicated service? That is a complete waste of time and effort.

As for ending up in jail for streaming.... Well the amount of negative votes your comment has received is probably justified based on that made-up/ill-informed piece of "information".

Edited by: "RossD89" 9th Feb 2016

Can't you get VM. Would solve the streaming problem

snoopy18

End up in jail, you're having a laugh.

No need to worry tho. I'm using Kodi in my cell and I get free wifi every time a FirstBus passes by, the buffering is shocking tho.

Original Poster

ok, thanks all
Post a comment
@
    Text