Question about log cabin and planning permission.

Found 8th Apr
Evening everyone.

Hope I don't drag this question out and someone here would be able to answer it.

Basically my neighbours opposite my house are building a log cabin which is very close to the edge of my garden.

I think, not sure, but think it's a council house so don't know if they needed permission to build it with that anyway but would they of needed permission to build it so close to my garden. I read somewhere that it needs to be more than 2 metres away from any boundary otherwise permission is needed.

Would I be able to call the council to find out if it has been requested?

Don't want to be the moany neighbour and don't think it will bother me too much but as it was so close to my garden I was wondering if they got permission or not.

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Community Updates
AskCabin Case
10 Comments
Not sure if they would need planning off the council but this has some info.

logcabinhub.com/log…uk/
Define log cabin? If they’ve said that it is a shed then if it’s placed within 2 meters of the boundary it should not exceed 2.5m in height.

you will probably find it’s not classed as a log cabin and it doesn’t need planning permission providing it’s not higher than 2.5m
Dannyrobbo3 m ago

Define log cabin? If they’ve said that it is a shed then if it’s placed wi …Define log cabin? If they’ve said that it is a shed then if it’s placed within 2 meters of the boundary it should not exceed 2.5m in height.you will probably find it’s not classed as a log cabin and it doesn’t need planning permission providing it’s not higher than 2.5m

Ok so anything less than 2.5m in height does not need planning permission even if it's right up to my boundary?

Might have to get my tape measure out while they're not looking
emiratesstadium5 m ago

Ok so anything less than 2.5m in height does not need planning permission …Ok so anything less than 2.5m in height does not need planning permission even if it's right up to my boundary? Might have to get my tape measure out while they're not looking

That is if it’s not defined as a log cabin, they can build a large summer house as close as they like as long as it’s not bigger than 2.5
Hang on. No address has been given so NO_ONE here can answer the question. Your answer is specific to your council and your address.

Most councils will not help by phone or in person these days so go to your local council planning web portal and start reading.

> The area/property may have had Permitted Development Removed (not even a shed can be put up without Planning)
> They may have already used their permitted development rights on that plot
> There may be restrictions on outbuildings
> There may be (are likely to be) limits on proximity of this building to a boundary; and separately
> the building may be the subject of a Party Wall agreement (this is the 2m someone told you about)

Go to land registry and pay your £3 or £6 to pull down the deeds and see who owns the property (council or private). There may be covenants on the further development of the land although these have to be fought through the court usually and it costs shed loads.

Then consider putting up your own mirror shed.

If they have run power into it, they need Building Regs approval and the portal lists those applications that as well
As mentioned above
Cannot be higher than 2.5m
Ours is 1m from the boundary so we can walk around it and treat it etc
Also water running off of the roof lands in our property not the neighbours
Base is concrete above ground level so can be 2.5m on top of the base
It's so if we remove the cabin , we can break the concrete up and have the garden back if we ever moved
Also depends on the size of the garden and other out buildings as you cannot build loads of out buildings all over your garden
If I remember correctly our council stated I cannot cover more than 75% of my garden which included decking and sheds
Ours was inside the measurements I gave them although nowadays people don't give a monkeys to the rules
Edited by: "Bradleigh" 8th Apr
Bradleigh22 m ago

As mentioned aboveCannot be higher than 2.5mOurs is 1m from the boundary …As mentioned aboveCannot be higher than 2.5mOurs is 1m from the boundary so we can walk around it and treat it etcAlso water running off of the roof lands in our property not the neighboursBase is concrete above ground level so can be 2.5m on top of the baseIt's so if we remove the cabin , we can break the concrete up and have the garden back if we ever movedAlso depends on the size of the garden and other out buildings as you cannot build loads of out buildings all over your gardenIf I remember correctly our council stated I cannot cover more than 75% of my garden which included decking and shedsOurs was inside the measurements I gave them although nowadays people don't give a monkeys to the rules

I was told by my local council when I had my cabin built that 2.5m includes whatever base its installed onto.

I had the concrete base dug into the ground so as to avoid having the cabin over that height.
darlodge16 m ago

I was told by my local council when I had my cabin built that 2.5m …I was told by my local council when I had my cabin built that 2.5m includes whatever base its installed onto.I had the concrete base dug into the ground so as to avoid having the cabin over that height.

We were told 2.5m on top of the base for the cabin
I suppose each council is different
We also have a large shed that is 2.4m tall and raised up about 8" due to the garden layout , shed is 12x12 with a lean to on the back
The company we dealt with said by using neat concrete with no hardcore means it's easily removed and not permanent, I don't see how 15m2 and 6" deep is easily removed if I'm honest
They are a massive retailer of log cabins in the south east and this is how the do it
Believe ours is 2.4m tall plus height of base
Tbh our gardens since been landscaped and altered as now have approx 12m2 decking in front of the cabin and I'm still inside regulations
Also shed bases to put your shed onto grass etc are a few inches thick so don't see how anyone can be under 2.5m
Edited by: "Bradleigh" 8th Apr
Think carefully! If it is not a problem to you, why risk souring relations with your neighbours?
staffordsaver10th Apr

Think carefully! If it is not a problem to you, why risk souring …Think carefully! If it is not a problem to you, why risk souring relations with your neighbours?

Best answer
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants