Groups

question about my internet or pc?

Hi
    I have a problem with my pc or internet?

Started off about 2 weeks ago go on my pc every other day and if say i go on for more than say 20 mins, it seems to hog the internet?
    Sounds silly i no but say my wife or kid try and go on the phone or tablet its comes up with the loading sign but as soon as i turn my pc off the net comes back on.....
    This last few days aswell my pc runs for 30mins ssy then the net crashes on that says page cant be reached.

Whats going off?
    I have windows 10 and believe not to have any dodge viruses
    And have sky unlimted

Can someone solve this problem please
    Thanks

28 Comments

Is your PC trying to download updates?

do sky offer any way of monitoring your usage? must be a windows app that can do that .

have you got any peer to peer software on your PC? that's always a possible hogger .

Original Poster

cis_groupie

Is your PC trying to download updates?

No

Original Poster

doncoop

do sky offer any way of monitoring your usage? must be a windows app that … do sky offer any way of monitoring your usage? must be a windows app that can do that .have you got any peer to peer software on your PC? that's always a possible hogger .

No i only use for basic web and kodi but dont use that much

run malwarebytes, superantispyware and virus check it. then if it still does it get systemexplorer and see what is taking up resources.

all the software is free apart from your virus checker.

You should be able to get a good idea of what's going on by opening your resource monitor (just type "resource monitor" in the search box & it will open up).

malwarebytes will find anything that another web site has put on, and can also safely remove it, use the free version

do you have an anti virus on your pc ?

Original Poster

cis_groupie

You should be able to get a good idea of what's going on by opening your … You should be able to get a good idea of what's going on by opening your resource monitor (just type "resource monitor" in the search box & it will open up).

I have this up but im totally new to this what am i looking for?

sounds like your router isn't assigning IP addresses properly.
    Edited by: "jez794" 12th Dec 2016

Original Poster

On the network side says
    Steam.exe then big numbers but my gaming part isnt on or running

Original Poster

Malware 0
    Avg 0

sme24185

I have this up but im totally new to this what am i looking for?

On the "Overview" tab, look at the CPU section. Is there an app or process that is using all, or nearly all, of the CPU?
    On the "Network" tab, look at the graphs on the right hand side. Ignoring the top 2 graphs for now, are any of the other graphs (especially the 'Ethernet' graph) showing close to 100% utilisation? If so, is there anything in the lists on the left hand side of the screen that shows lots of activity?

is it just wifi or wired connection?

Original Poster

brendanhickey

is it just wifi or wired connection?

Wired

sme24185

On the network side says Steam.exe then big numbers but my gaming part … On the network side says Steam.exe then big numbers but my gaming part isnt on or running

It could be that steam is trying to connect to the internet, or trying to download something.

Windows 10 has a built-in data usage monitor.

Hit the start button and search for data usage this will show you how much data applications are using.

Sounds like something the pc is doing is killing the bandwidth. This could be your torrent program, steam, windows update or anything that would be making big up and down traffic.

On the more awful end, it could be some well-hidden malware. The best thing to do? Avast. Yes, the program is a pest, but it has a magical feature no other antivirus or antimalware program has. Boot time scan.

Viruses often hide as system files, and when you run another program in windows, it can't see them, touch them, or get rid of them. Boot time scan can get rid of these.

Always look for the simplest explanation first though. I've had customers that didn't know how to remove torrents from seeding. They had tons of torrents open. Their upload speeds were maxed out at all times.

sme24185

Wired

​does it say limited connection on the task bar icon?

Last set of WIn8/8.1/10 updates have been causing random internet issues, and it went out about 2 weeks ago.

No proper fix yet, if you can assign a static IP address, that should fix it, but not everyone knows how, and not all ISPs will allow it, or they charge a hefty premium to do so.

Cold reboot router and PC (shutdown and leave for a minute), might clear it for now.

lennshow66

Windows 10 has a built-in data usage monitor. Hit the start button and … Windows 10 has a built-in data usage monitor. Hit the start button and search for data usage this will show you how much data applications are using.

didnt know that

Original Poster

Oh righ. See im not to sure on how to assign address. Also dont like messing with router as i messed it up last time.
    So have i got to wait for a update? Or something?
    Windows 10 has built in data usage? Can this be turned off?

Original Poster

slain

Sounds like something the pc is doing is killing the bandwidth. This … Sounds like something the pc is doing is killing the bandwidth. This could be your torrent program, steam, windows update or anything that would be making big up and down traffic. On the more awful end, it could be some well-hidden malware. The best thing to do? Avast. Yes, the program is a pest, but it has a magical feature no other antivirus or antimalware program has. Boot time scan. Viruses often hide as system files, and when you run another program in windows, it can't see them, touch them, or get rid of them. Boot time scan can get rid of these. Always look for the simplest explanation first though. I've had customers that didn't know how to remove torrents from seeding. They had tons of torrents open. Their upload speeds were maxed out at all times.

My torrents site isnt on my steam not on
    On resource monitor
    Top things are one drive
    Steam.exe which as now gone off
    Background transferhost
    Svchost
    But this is just after reboot

Read Me if you are having connection issues.

There are hyperlinks to possible short term fixes in the article, with a few guides on what to do.
    Edited by: "Gentle_Giant" 13th Dec 2016

I know nothing about Steam but from your comments above I'm guessing you use it.

From what I've read Steam will still take up bandwidth even if it's not running to download updates etc. It probably has a background service to do this that loads automatically.

The bandwidth can apparently be limited via steam settings -> downloads -> limit bandwidth.

What setting you put in there depends on the speed of your connection.

there was an aricle on bbc news about this

bbc news

brendanhickey

there was an aricle on bbc news about this bbc news

Different issue.

M$ have quietly put out a patch for their last patch

Make sure your PC has downloaded it and do a full reboot, see if it fixes your issues.

sme24185

On the network side says Steam.exe then big numbers but my gaming part … On the network side says Steam.exe then big numbers but my gaming part isnt on or running

Steam will run in th background and download games + updates.
    Start the steam client and in the settings you can turn off load steam at startup. Also in your library you can disable downloading and updates.
    I'd guess that it is downloading your entire library in the background.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Walker crisps68
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767537
      3. Heads-Up / Reminder - How to avoid using PayPal's own conversion rates :{33
      4. Fakespot.com Amazon fake review detector.812

See more discussions