Question about NHS, please help!

5 replies
Found 8th May 2009
I'm an international student covered under NHS..

If I want to get treated for minor pains (non-emergency knee pains), can I go to ANY clinic or should I only go to the doctor NHS gave me?

The thing is, the doctor that NHS have me on my medical card is in another town - a nearby town, but not the town I currently live in.

Please help!

  1. Misc
  1. Misc

If it's an emergency you can go to any clinic for treatment, otherwise you should go to your doctor. However, you can always contact your closest clinic & ask them if you can see a doctor there.

phone nhs direct and they will advise you, also what town are you in because a lot of new drop in centers have just opened around the country..


Go to your nearest doctors surgery to register but mention you have been registered a different surgery. They will advise you to either tell the other surgery you have left or they will do it for you.

Register with a local surgery. Tell them about your knee problem and keep going back until it gets sorted / investigated / fixed.

You don't need to do anything about your previous surgery. Provided your new surgery has space to take you, you just sign a form at the new surgery and that's it, you are registered.

Walk in centres will check you over and can give you advice but if the problem is still there, you need tests etc, this can only be done via your surgery.

I'm not sure about this being that you are an international student.

In general a British National can register with any doctor they wish and walk into any clinic or hospital nationwide for treatment. Long term investigative studies usually go through the GP and then a specialist referral. I would assume that since you are covered for treatment within the NHS that this would apply, however I don't have specific knowledge about this. Do you have indefinite leave to remain? You may wish to contact whoever deals with your immigration status to ask them specifically....

hope this helps x
Post a comment
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition69750
    2. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines54
    3. Win 1 of 30 Gin Festival, Eastbourne Pairs of Tickets (Value £30 per pair)11
    4. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…44

    See more discussions