Question about PAC Codes

Posted 18th May
I want to move away from virgin mobile as there are better offers elsewhere. When I send a PAC request in I get:

3466078-RIjob.jpg
So much for the easy porting...

I'm confused as to what the penalty will be, Is it the £4.84 only or are there further charges? I'm particularly confused about the "This doesn't include your plan charges...." section.

Surely they should provide you with the FINAL penalty value if you choose to walk away today?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
The £4.84 is the fee for leaving your contract early (at a guess only a few days).

The other fees would be your normal bill - i.e. how ever much per month pro rata until you leave.
15 Comments
The £4.84 is the fee for leaving your contract early (at a guess only a few days).

The other fees would be your normal bill - i.e. how ever much per month pro rata until you leave.
They can't provide the value until you actually walk away because the switch does not happen real time.
Surly they can calculate an estimate... Like say I have 6 months to run on my contract at £10 a month, then if I go use the PAC code today, it will prorated for this month (Say half way through so £5) + 6*£10 for the remaining plan making it £65 as an estimate if I go today.
tmohammad18/05/2020 12:30

Surly they can calculate an estimate... Like say I have 6 months to run on …Surly they can calculate an estimate... Like say I have 6 months to run on my contract at £10 a month, then if I go use the PAC code today, it will prorated for this month (Say half way through so £5) + 6*£10 for the remaining plan making it £65 as an estimate if I go today.

Ask them...? Like Bozo said, they cannot give you an accurate figure until you actually leave them. But according to you it could be £65, so put aside £70 for the final bill inc £4.84 termination fee.

Either that or Ask them...?
I thought when you did this, they were supposed to give you a total of what you would need to pay if you used the code today. Which would then decrease over the coming days.

The message you got does seem too woolly to be useful.
tmohammad18/05/2020 12:30

Surly they can calculate an estimate... Like say I have 6 months to run on …Surly they can calculate an estimate... Like say I have 6 months to run on my contract at £10 a month, then if I go use the PAC code today, it will prorated for this month (Say half way through so £5) + 6*£10 for the remaining plan making it £65 as an estimate if I go today.

But thats already given as the Termination Fee?
alg18/05/2020 13:15

I thought when you did this, they were supposed to give you a total of …I thought when you did this, they were supposed to give you a total of what you would need to pay if you used the code today. Which would then decrease over the coming days.The message you got does seem too woolly to be useful.

my point exactly .... its too woolly
No they shouldn't give you a final fee today, you have not yet finished your contract. It will normally take at least a few days to port to another provider and you could rack up a load of charges in that time.

They've told you all you need to know, the early termination fee, the rest is just to cover any extra you may be charged for non inclusive coverage and / or the remaining air time / monthly rental you normally pay
That is all I want to know... My remaining airtime as I'm not sure when the contract ends. Or they could at least include the end date of the contract... together with your monthly line rental so I can work it out myself.
looks like simply an admin fee for early termination. how much is your monthly plan cost?
£6
Just to add, early termination will be monthly fee minus vat, as vat is not chargeable on services not rendered.
tmohammad18/05/2020 14:45

That is all I want to know... My remaining airtime as I'm not sure when …That is all I want to know... My remaining airtime as I'm not sure when the contract ends. Or they could at least include the end date of the contract... together with your monthly line rental so I can work it out myself.

You already know your out of contract date and monthly line rental from when you signed the contract or your online account.

Take some ownership of what you have committed to.
Thanks, That link is really useful. especially this:

The following worked example is given on the Virgin Mobile website:

An Early Disconnection Fee will be approximately 44% of your monthly plan cost multiplied by the number of months you have left on your contract, after your 30 day notice period. This is calculated as follows:

Early Disconnection Fee = (Monthly Charge – Monthly Discount) * Remaining Months * 44%

Example

A customer has a 24 month Pay Monthly contract costing them £20 per month, with a monthly discount of £5. They are in the 18th month of their contract and have 6 months left until their minimum term ends.

This customer requests to disconnect, they will pay their normal monthly charge of £15 for their 30 day notice period, plus following Early Disconnection Fee:

= (£20 – £5) * 5 * 44%
= £33.00

Giving a total of £48.00The % multiplier used to calculate the Early Disconnection Fee is reviewed by Virgin Mobile on a quarterly basis. For this reason, it may change slightly from time-to-time.

You can find out the early termination charge that applies to your contract by texting INFO followed by your date of birth in DD/MM/YYYY format to 85075.

Wow....Its a complex calculation. So why cant they just calculate it on the asumption that you disconnect today?

You would think that OFCOM when they introduced this PAC by Text service would have looked into this and made it as transparent as possible.
Edited by: "tmohammad" 18th May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions