Question about refund following premium charges SMS 78686 ??

Found 1st Mar 2016
I received messages from the above number, something about allfoxyladies. Never heard of it but I've been charged two weekly payments of £2.50. I found an email address for them admin@smsavalanche.com. They have now emailed back to say I've been taken off their records and want to refund me so are asking "Please provide your name, postal address for cheque or paypal email adress, as the service was never used. We do not keep any personal details on our database."
Has anyone done this before? Is it safe to provide my paypal email? Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Speak to your mobile network for refund.
Martin Lewis has advice for you...

What do I do if I get one?

There are three steps you can follow when it comes to spam messages. The first two tackle the wider problem – they won't completely stop them but the more of us that do this the more it helps to reduce spam in the future. The third should help stop repeated targeting from a particular advertiser.

1. Use the four numbers that can beat spam texts

The first option is to report it to your network provider. The big networks have a simple, FREE method to help you do this.

Just forward the message to 7726 (spells SPAM), making sure it includes the senders' number.

Text 7226 to report spam texts
2. Report it to the Information Commissioner

The second option is to report it to the Information Commissioner's Office, which can fine firms up to £500,000 for the most serious breaches of the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR), which govern spam texts. In 2013, a pay day loans company was fined £175,000 after it was found to be sending millions of unlawful spam texts.

The ICO can look at texts sent within the UK or on behalf of a UK company. Unfortunately, some messages are sent by companies outside the UK or through anonymous pay-as-you-go Sims, which means they are difficult to prevent or punish, and difficult to stop.

Spam messages in the bin
However, you should still make a complaint to ICO. It can then investigate the matter, and penalise firms if it thinks rules have been broken and they are based in the UK.

It looks at every complaint and the more detail you provide, the better. Check the ICO's website for information about recent investigations before making a complaint.

If you get one of these texts, you should record exactly what the text says and the number it was sent from, then complain to the ICO via:

Online: Complete the online survey
Telephone: 0303 123 1113
3. Block the number

The most direct way of ensuring you don't get any more messages from a particular number is to simply block the number. Doing so would also block calls from said number.

Unfortunately many companies use multiple Sims to send spam, so blocking one doesn't necessarily mean you won't here from them again. If you do it to every sender you get something from it will at least give them one less channel through which to contact you.

The method for doing this varies depending on the device you're using. See instructions for iPhones, Android phones (though the process may vary slightly form handset to handset) and Windows (Lumia) phones.
Original Poster
davewave

Speak to your mobile network for refund.Martin Lewis has advice for … Speak to your mobile network for refund.Martin Lewis has advice for you...What do I do if I get one?There are three steps you can follow when it comes to spam messages. The first two tackle the wider problem – they won't completely stop them but the more of us that do this the more it helps to reduce spam in the future. The third should help stop repeated targeting from a particular advertiser.1. Use the four numbers that can beat spam textsThe first option is to report it to your network provider. The big networks have a simple, FREE method to help you do this.Just forward the message to 7726 (spells SPAM), making sure it includes the senders' number.Text 7226 to report spam texts2. Report it to the Information CommissionerThe second option is to report it to the Information Commissioner's Office, which can fine firms up to £500,000 for the most serious breaches of the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR), which govern spam texts. In 2013, a pay day loans company was fined £175,000 after it was found to be sending millions of unlawful spam texts.The ICO can look at texts sent within the UK or on behalf of a UK company. Unfortunately, some messages are sent by companies outside the UK or through anonymous pay-as-you-go Sims, which means they are difficult to prevent or punish, and difficult to stop.Spam messages in the binHowever, you should still make a complaint to ICO. It can then investigate the matter, and penalise firms if it thinks rules have been broken and they are based in the UK.It looks at every complaint and the more detail you provide, the better. Check the ICO's website for information about recent investigations before making a complaint.If you get one of these texts, you should record exactly what the text says and the number it was sent from, then complain to the ICO via:Online: Complete the online surveyTelephone: 0303 123 11133. Block the numberThe most direct way of ensuring you don't get any more messages from a particular number is to simply block the number. Doing so would also block calls from said number.Unfortunately many companies use multiple Sims to send spam, so blocking one doesn't necessarily mean you won't here from them again. If you do it to every sender you get something from it will at least give them one less channel through which to contact you.The method for doing this varies depending on the device you're using. See instructions for iPhones, Android phones (though the process may vary slightly form handset to handset) and Windows (Lumia) phones.

I spoke to O2 my provider and they gave me a number to call for the company
hmm interesting question on providing solely your paypal email address - I am not sure
I would be worried about giving my physical address to spammers because you may end up with physical spam letters

Edited by: "davewave" 1st Mar 2016
Same thing happened to a friend of my she contacted Vodafone they gave her a number to text STOP to, that's the only way you can stop the subscription apparently.
Original Poster
ashopaholic123

Same thing happened to a friend of my she contacted Vodafone they gave … Same thing happened to a friend of my she contacted Vodafone they gave her a number to text STOP to, that's the only way you can stop the subscription apparently.

They have said my number is now removed from their records. I'm trying to get a refund as I have never signed up to anything. The email address I found for the company that sends these spam messages have asked for a paypal email address to refund as I didn't use the subscription. I'm just worried this will cause further issues.
http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/for-consumers/contact-us-for-consumers

I would suggest you speak tp phonepayplus because reading through posts on MSE forum, the Spammer may offer a fraction of the amount you were charges - seems like a bunch of conmen so be wary
Luciegoose

They have said my number is now removed from their records. I'm trying to … They have said my number is now removed from their records. I'm trying to get a refund as I have never signed up to anything. The email address I found for the company that sends these spam messages have asked for a paypal email address to refund as I didn't use the subscription. I'm just worried this will cause further issues.

Vodafone refund my friends as she never signed up either. Took a lot of calls but eventually they sorted it when she asked to speak to a supervisor. Said in the future text stop to any text like that received otherwise they take it as an automatic sign up.
Luciegoose

They have said my number is now removed from their records. I'm trying to … They have said my number is now removed from their records. I'm trying to get a refund as I have never signed up to anything. The email address I found for the company that sends these spam messages have asked for a paypal email address to refund as I didn't use the subscription. I'm just worried this will cause further issues.

go to hotmail, set up junk email account, then go to paypal and add this to your registered emails, advise text company of junk email. await refund. worse case = your junk email gets spammed everyday and therefore you can just close it down. best case, you get refund. no issues.
have you set up a paypal.me address? im not sure but i don't think they see your email using that, just the name you choose to sign up with
Original Poster
athunder

have you set up a paypal.me address? im not sure but i don't think they … have you set up a paypal.me address? im not sure but i don't think they see your email using that, just the name you choose to sign up with

Hi, I've just set up this and sent them the link so hoping this will work? Thanks for the advice
Just send STOP to 78686, all messages are FREE OF CHARGE.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants