Question about warranty

I bought myself a laptop three months ago in the Black Friday sales for £850 directly from the HP website. It has just suddenly stopped charging for no apparent reason. It's definitely not the power adapter as I've tried it in multiple plug sockets as well as tried a family members HP charger in my laptop as well, but to no avail so it would appear to be a problem with the laptop.

Given the laptop is just three months old this is obviously unacceptable and is still within the standard one year warranty period that you get with any product of this type. Where do I stand with regards to this warranty, will HP just repair the product at no extra cost to me, can I insist on a refund, I've never had an issue like this before so just want to know how to approach this before I contact them.

Thanks in advance.

15 Comments

What do their warranty terms and conditions say? Have you looked on their website?

If you're confident the item's faulty, you can say something like this:

"Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, goods should be of a satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. My rights have been breached because the item you sold me is faulty. I would like a refund/repair/replacement."

If they say the problem’s your fault, it’s down to them to prove it. Tell them you know this - and ask how long it’ll take if they send it back to the manufacturer.

If you paid by debit or credit card

You may be able to get your money back through your bank if the seller’s refusing and you paid by debit or credit card.

Contact your bank and say you want to use the ‘chargeback’ scheme. Many bank staff don’t know about the scheme, so you may need to talk to a manager.

If you paid by credit card and the item cost more than £100, it may be easier to tell your bank you want to ‘make a section 75 claim’. It’s another way to get your money back.

I am confident that HP will resolve this issue without any fuss, however, if they don't you can take them to the Small Claims Court but they will settle before it even gets to court.

To get a refund you would need either to make a claim under the sale of goods act or against your credit card company as a section 75 claim. It's unlikely you would get a refund under the warranty as these are generally repair only agreements.

just ring them and be nice and explain whats gone on usually if youre right with them they will be right with you.
First port of call for them would be repair but if faulty again you would be entitled to refund or replacement under the new guidelines.
Just be glad you didnt get it from Currys X)

Original Poster

Thanks for all your prompt replies, I'll contact them tomorrow to see what they say initially, but it's good to know there are other avenues to go down if they play hard ball.

Try taking the battery out and pressing the power button for 30 seconds. Then plugging it in and trying again.

As above, take battery out and press power button. Had the same issue once with another brand and this worked. Never had a problem again.

Original Poster

It has a non removable battery unfortunately otherwise I would.

dphesp

To get a refund you would need either to make a claim under the sale of … To get a refund you would need either to make a claim under the sale of goods act or against your credit card company as a section 75 claim. It's unlikely you would get a refund under the warranty as these are generally repair only agreements.

Consumer rights act, has been since May 2015. There are a few key differences so maybe have a read incase you ever need to make a claim

Get the serial number/service tag of the laptop and call up their technical support, you should be able to get them to send out an engineer to replace the battery, especially if it is faulty.

Either that or get them to replace the entire thing.

in the first instance I'd expect a repair.

chris75319

It has a non removable battery unfortunately otherwise I would.

Didn't know they sold ones without removable batteries, you live and learn. Maybe they will too and change back.

liamf12

Didn't know they sold ones without removable batteries, you live and … Didn't know they sold ones without removable batteries, you live and learn. Maybe they will too and change back.

​They are all removable it just some are screwed in under the bottom cover.

I had a problem with an hp probook still under warranty. The heat sink wasn't working and the processor overheated. I complained used the not fit for purpose argument. They got me to send it back to Poland for repair. Was away for 5 days. Came back still overheating. Complained again and they sent an engineer to my house who replaced the processor and the heat sink. I then complained that I had lost money because I was without a computer for over a week and they hadn't fixed it the first time. They gave me a 3 year on site repair contract for free as an apology. My advice is make it clear you know your rights as a consumer and don't accept a postal return.

You won't get a refund after 3 months. Under a month likely, but not after 3 months.

If the problem is not due to mishandling and you damaging the port then they will repair it free of charge as it's within the warranty.
Anyway, if I'm not wrong within the first 6 months they assume the fault was present at the point of sale and you don't have to prove anything.
Edited by: "mr_geese" 25th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Laser eye surgery33
    2. Selling advice33
    3. Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI (petrol) vs Rio 1.4 CRDI (diesel)711
    4. Job Centre sending text to confirm appointment33

See more discussions