Groups

question : can my car be towed away off private car park without even clamping?

ok so i made a silly mistake in parking on a pub car park only for customers

they towed my car away to another area without even clamping it or anything like that

what i want to know is - is this allowed? didnt even bother clamping it just towed it away!

release fee? £350 or so LOL my days pocket money went down the drain boo hoo

9 Comments

muffin247

ok so i made a silly mistake in parking on a pub car park only for … ok so i made a silly mistake in parking on a pub car park only for customersthey towed my car away to another area without even clamping it or anything like thatwhat i want to know is - is this allowed? didnt even bother clamping it just towed it away!release fee? £350 or so LOL my days pocket money went down the drain boo hoo

Answer YES. It is private property, the same as if they parked on your drive way, you could move it and ask for money in return IF you had signs up showing the terms, the only thing they have to observe is; that they do not damage your car when they move it.

Original Poster

do u have a link for some rules and terms for clamping and towing

as i cant seem to find anything saying whether its legal or it

it would put my mind at rest to know the legal facts

First of all was there a sign displayed in the car park? it does not have to be visible so it might be hidden around the corner somewhere, which is sneaky but legal.

Then look at the BBC watchdog site, the CAB website and do a general google search on wheel clamping. I think there is a law now about their carry on but you will find it with a quick google. Sorry I don't have any websites to hand but there is plenty therefor you to read. I also think the DVLA website might have something on it as well.

You may have a case see ]attached pdf from CAB

Yep, As said, If a sign was displayed then they can legally do it.

Original Poster

thanks stora

this part

[SIZE=4][LEFT]Towing away [/LEFT]
    [/SIZE][FONT=Arial,Arial][SIZE=3][LEFT]It may be necessary to tow away a vehicle parked on private land if it is:

• dangerously parked; or
    • causing an obstruction; or
    • blocking an emergency access

it was none of them the car park was empty
    [/LEFT]
    [SIZE=3]In order for your vehicle to be legally clamped

[/SIZE][SIZE=3]the landowner does not charge more than a reasonable fee to release your vehicle
    [/SIZE][LEFT]
    surely £350 is not a reasonable fee just to ''release'' a car
    seems loan shark style extortionate

been a couple of months now so i think thats that just wanted to know the facts really:santa:
    [/LEFT]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

muffin247

thanks stora[FONT=Arial,Arial][SIZE=3] [LEFT]it was none of them the car … thanks stora[FONT=Arial,Arial][SIZE=3] [LEFT]it was none of them the car park was empty[/LEFT][/SIZE][/FONT]

That was funny - it was empty when you parked it & it was empty when you collected but how do you know it was empty in the middle bit :whistling: if you were watching the car park all day you must have seen them take your car away :giggle:

Why don't you contact your local newpaper and explain to them what has happened, they might put a bit of pressure on the Ladlord to give you back your money and warn other people that if they are too drunk to drive home at night their car could be towed because the law would not allow them to park it on the road.

You could also get the paper to photograph the tiny sign and run a little name & shame game with the pub. You got to get something back for your £350 - have fun and post a link when you get it.

Original Poster

that aint the funniest part

the funniest part was i was gone for no more than 5 minutes lol

so they moved quick!!!

so im guessin the car park was empty during that 5 minutes too lol

muffin247

ok so i made a silly mistake in parking on a pub car park only for … ok so i made a silly mistake in parking on a pub car park only for customersthey towed my car away to another area without even clamping it or anything like thatwhat i want to know is - is this allowed? didnt even bother clamping it just towed it away!release fee? £350 or so LOL my days pocket money went down the drain boo hoo

It does seem like an exorbitant fee, but as you admitted - you did park illegally - albeit unintentionally(?). Have you tried you tried negotiating the fee? Was the fine to be imposed clearly displayed? Maybe if you appeal to their better nature... (assure them it was accidental/didn't see the sign etc) you may only have to pay a reduced fee?
    The bottom line is though - if you did park on private property (most pub/workplace/civic type car parks usually are) you may just have to bite the bullet, pay up and keep a sharper eye out for parking restrictions:-(
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944533
      2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927371
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1947
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767359

See more discussions