Question for a mechanic or someone familiar with car maintenance

Posted 5th Jan
basically I have had a leak on my car engine oil, the leak is coming from the dipstick tube, took it too couple of garages one guy said it will need all taking apart and take a long time and he will try deal it up. another garage said leave it almost all old cars have leaks and it isn't too bad, so I had engine oil changed and left it at that today I thought may aswell clean it up and see if I can spot where its leaking from, Then I notice there's 2 pieces too it, the bottom said is moving and top is secure I am thinking the bottom shouldn't move is that correct will it need tightening and a new o ring putting in place or Will just a new o ring between the 2 pieces fix it.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
On mine both sides look smooth so not sure how they will goo toghter and be tight and leak free after putting o ring in, it's a Toyota Corolla Verso 2006 1.8 petrol if anyone if that helps someone who know more about these cars. Thanks in advance for any help.
39597987-5lyBi.jpg
Mine had a leak like your describing on my Mazda 2 2005. My local guy just popped a ring on it to patch it up and tighten it and so far no more issues
Its either a faulty seal or a blockage in the engine forcing the oil out.

Whats the engine milage?.
BMW?

Don't just leave it (and dont use a garage tht suggests just leving it - oil on the road can kill bikers).

probably just failed o-ring but its often a right pain to actully get to it. Drain th oil, ort it out and refil. Worst case drain, clean, plaster with rtv.
markvirgo05/01/2020 19:16

Its either a faulty seal or a blockage in the engine forcing the oil out. …Its either a faulty seal or a blockage in the engine forcing the oil out. Whats the engine milage?.

The bottom part of the dipstick tube is moving, I think there should be a o ring but my uncle thinks its broken it's about halfway down the length of dipstick. Is the print right at the bottom I am confused know.
mas9905/01/2020 19:40

BMW? Don't just leave it (and dont use a garage tht suggests just leving …BMW? Don't just leave it (and dont use a garage tht suggests just leving it - oil on the road can kill bikers).probably just failed o-ring but its often a right pain to actully get to it. Drain th oil, ort it out and refil. Worst case drain, clean, plaster with rtv.

It's not dripping on the floor just when I start it in morning the engine oil smokes. So how is best if I use rtv I am thinking try that if it's broken if it's just a o ring seal I think I can push it in.
markvirgo05/01/2020 19:16

Its either a faulty seal or a blockage in the engine forcing the oil out. …Its either a faulty seal or a blockage in the engine forcing the oil out. Whats the engine milage?.

111k, don't think it is a blockage, its petrol converted too lpg. Think it's most likely the dipstick tube is broken or the seal gone missing if it's not broken problem is access is very limited.
I think youneed to get at it and find out if it is broken or not. If it is a broken tube then rtv isnt enough - you also ned to brace the tube - that might mean sliding something over it. That parts diagram shows a shorter tube at the bottom - whats that?
mas9905/01/2020 22:19

I think youneed to get at it and find out if it is broken or not. If it …I think youneed to get at it and find out if it is broken or not. If it is a broken tube then rtv isnt enough - you also ned to brace the tube - that might mean sliding something over it. That parts diagram shows a shorter tube at the bottom - whats that?

Not really sure that is the correct diagram for my car my car is a Toyota corolla verso 2006. 1.8 petrol, I am thinking it's broken I'd it is would say a slightly larfe sized pipe with rtv inside it work or not. Although it's real difficult access too get too it might try some epoxy putty stuff first though. As already got some at home
It will vibrate so not just epoxy
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions