Groups

Question for any telecom experts. . .

My lads just moved into a new flat and is trying to get a phone line set up. The last guy didn't have a phone but the one before him did.
    He's called the Post Office to have them install a line and was told that there 'maybe a change of £107 if the lines been disconnected'.
    After a few days they called him and said yes the lines is completely disconnected and there will be a charge.
    At the weekend he plugged a phone into the socket and got a dial tone, when he dials he gets a message saying calls aren't allowed.
    This doesn't sound like a 'completely disconnected' line to me ?
    He's called the PO and told them and they say a dial tone means nothing ???
    Are they just trying to get an extra 100 quid out of him or do you really get a dial tone on a disconnected line ??

Thanks...

26 Comments

Normally if its disconnected there is no dialtone there at all.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Normally with BT as long as there is a line, there is no charge.. as the charge is normally for installing a brand new line
    take a look on Bt's website[/SIZE][/FONT]

there pulling his leg, cant he get Virgin? as you can get that for free

You can still get a dial tone if the line is disconnected. There would only be a charge if the line had not been in use for the last 12 months if it has been in use in the past 12 months theres absolutely no fee to pay

They always quote this charge but it is for rewiring to the nearest pole, if you dispute it they should let you off and I think the charge is then about £35.....you only have to pay if the wiring is damaged, if it is already live you will be able to tell them that.....I evn got a refund wehn they rewired to the pole, just kept on to them that it was not my fault etc and they refunded the bill.

Post office phone told me the same, but they said they send their own engineer out, if there is a line i/e a wire connected to the house and it's in good order, then there is no charge.

Original Poster

Chuckles1001;4612225

there pulling his leg, cant he get Virgin? as you can get that for free

He's in a small town at the edge of west Wales. No virgin, no LLU. You have the massive choice of either BT or the PO...

One-off connection charge
    Connecting a new BT line costs £122.33 (incl. VAT). This charge only applies in some cases, but before we can confirm this we need to check your property. Most of our new customers find they don't need to pay this charge.
    If your home has had a telephone service from BT in the recent past, and the wiring and socket is undamaged and the line still has dialling tone, it's likely you won't need to pay this charge. But where there's no suitable BT line available in your property, no dialling tone on the line, or if you have been disconnected for non-payment in the past, the standard connection charge will apply.
    Please note that some properties, for example new property developments, may have a white BT socket installed that hasn't been connected (ie no dialling tone). In this case the standard connection charge will still apply.
    The connection charge covers engineering work in your exchange or your property in order to connect the line and is subject to survey.
    If you order a new line online, we'll let you know if the connection charge applies once we've checked your property and before we complete your order.If the charge does apply it will be added to your first BT bill.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Magenta"]This is off the BT website.

was it a bt line in the new place or cable? if it was BT then the above applies

hope this helps:thumbsup:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

hunter82;4612227

You can still get a dial tone if the line is disconnected. There would … You can still get a dial tone if the line is disconnected. There would only be a charge if the line had not been in use for the last 12 months if it has been in use in the past 12 months theres absolutely no fee to pay

[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]there is NO [COLOR="magenta"][SIZE="3"]charge as long as line is there and undamaged[/SIZE][/COLOR]

wend;4612294

there is NO [COLOR="magenta"][SIZE="3"]charge as long as line is there … there is NO [COLOR="magenta"][SIZE="3"]charge as long as line is there and undamaged[/SIZE][/COLOR]

doesnt mater if line is there or not there will still be the fee to pay if it has been out of use for 12 months or more

the line here hasn't been used for 5 years, and there was no charge for me ...

wend;4612339

the line here hasn't been used for 5 years, and there was no charge for … the line here hasn't been used for 5 years, and there was no charge for me ...

We had to pay the charge 6 months ago... my hubby works for them and the same has applied for lots of customers also

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Magenta"]Maybe different areas??
    as my mum was with bt , then virgin for 7 years then back to BT november last, no charges for her either...[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

wend;4612379

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Magenta"]Maybe different areas??as … [SIZE="3"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Magenta"]Maybe different areas??as my mum was with bt , then virgin for 7 years then back to BT november last, no charges for her either...[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Possibly because her phone line was still in use whilst with virgin? There wont be charges for switching services just for reconnecting a dis used phone line

hunter82;4612395

Possibly because her phone line was still in use whilst with virgin? … Possibly because her phone line was still in use whilst with virgin? There wont be charges for switching services just for reconnecting a dis used phone line

no virgin is cable, runs underground and into virgin box, completely seperate line, box etc...

reckon is could be areas... not fair really, think everyone should be able to get connected free

wend;4612440

no virgin is cable, runs underground and into virgin box, completely … no virgin is cable, runs underground and into virgin box, completely seperate line, box etc...reckon is could be areas... not fair really, think everyone should be able to get connected free

hmm quite possibly then.
    I will never understand it even my hubby doesnt....
    All it takes is an enginner a couple of minutes to switch a wire over its a joke really

hunter82;4612466

hmm quite possibly then.I will never understand it even my hubby … hmm quite possibly then.I will never understand it even my hubby doesnt.... All it takes is an enginner a couple of minutes to switch a wire over its a joke really

I'll agree with you there!

off to feed the family.. catch ya L8r:thumbsup:

Don't take any notice of the threat if there is a dial tone it must have been in use as the line is very dead if not in use..........I have never had to pay it just takes a bit of patience and make sure the engineer is in agreement that the line is ok ( or slip him a tenner), sorted.

wendyak;4612617

Don't take any notice of the threat if there is a dial tone it must have … Don't take any notice of the threat if there is a dial tone it must have been in use as the line is very dead if not in use..........I have never had to pay it just takes a bit of patience and make sure the engineer is in agreement that the line is ok ( or slip him a tenner), sorted.

Engineer has no say now, if you have to have an engineer visit it's likely its gonna cost (either you or your cp). Openreach will charge your phone line provider whether that gets passed on down to you depends. Get your sone to dial 17070 from the line, that'll give him the number to quote to bt, it should say this circuit is defined as 0123456789 then BT line test facilites. If its an unbundled line you'll get the phone number thats all, no further option. If it doesn't give you the number put 1470 in front of the 17070 = 147017070 you can then quote that number to your chosen CP.
    (Paddy Openreach CSE)

hunter82;4612466

hmm quite possibly then.I will never understand it even my hubby … hmm quite possibly then.I will never understand it even my hubby doesnt.... All it takes is an enginner a couple of minutes to switch a wire over its a joke really

It doesn't take an engineer a couple of minutes to connect a new line, before an engineer visits your premises, a different engineer will do exchange work, contractors could have to put in new line plant to get you service (especially new sites) another engineer could come out and prove the pair all the way to the house/pole (dependent on how your fed) then the final engineer could come and connect you. It ain't as easy as just connecting wires. Alot of work goes on behind the scenes. I ain't defending BT's charges ( i ain't over happy with them freezing our pay I mean a profitable company using the recession as an excuse but then thats another story.....) It costs BT more than £125 for a new provide

go to sky, they pay ur connection fee for u

Original Poster

Paddy_o_furniture;4612914

Engineer has no say now, if you have to have an engineer visit it's … Engineer has no say now, if you have to have an engineer visit it's likely its gonna cost (either you or your cp). Openreach will charge your phone line provider whether that gets passed on down to you depends. Get your sone to dial 17070 from the line, that'll give him the number to quote to bt, it should say this circuit is defined as 0123456789 then BT line test facilites. If its an unbundled line you'll get the phone number thats all, no further option. If it doesn't give you the number put 1470 in front of the 17070 = 147017070 you can then quote that number to your chosen CP. (Paddy Openreach CSE)

He's just tried that and got the number and a stack of options !! Does that mean it's connected ?

Paddy_o_furniture;4612950

It doesn't take an engineer a couple of minutes to connect a new line, … It doesn't take an engineer a couple of minutes to connect a new line, before an engineer visits your premises, a different engineer will do exchange work, contractors could have to put in new line plant to get you service (especially new sites) another engineer could come out and prove the pair all the way to the house/pole (dependent on how your fed) then the final engineer could come and connect you. It ain't as easy as just connecting wires. Alot of work goes on behind the scenes. I ain't defending BT's charges ( i ain't over happy with them freezing our pay I mean a profitable company using the recession as an excuse but another then thats another story.....) It costs BT more than £125 for a new provide

I wasnt meaning for a new line put in im not nieve lol. But when the line is already there but not in use it just needs the wires switching in an exchange doesnt it.
    I know a lot of work goes on behind the scenes.
    Openreach engineers dont get enough credit

steve1221;4613098

He's just tried that and got the number and a stack of options !! Does … He's just tried that and got the number and a stack of options !! Does that mean it's connected ?

It's connected but the line is stopped, as I said quote the number to your chosen service provider, they may be able to take over the line

Original Poster

Paddy_o_furniture;4613118

It's connected but the line is stopped, as I said quote the number to … It's connected but the line is stopped, as I said quote the number to your chosen service provider, they may be able to take over the line

Thanks Paddy, I'll get him on it first thing in the morning.

Original Poster

muffin247;4613015

go to sky, they pay ur connection fee for u

No dishes allowed on the building. . .
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tower Hill - Explosion reported..01
      2. One thing you've forgotten1721
      3. Bearded chat1223
      4. New TV,Film & Ebook Releases 2407243