Groups

Question for anyone good with cars!

Afternoon all,

I went to see a car today for my Mrs! Its a vauxhall Corsa 2001 model! We really liked the car just wanted to check out on two things! Firstly with these corsa's (1.2) model do they need a cambelt change? And Secondly when checking the oil, under the lid there seemed to be a white gunk kind of thing! I know its common on some cars but is it common on these cars?

Thanks

10 Comments

Every car needs it's cambelt changed at regular intervals!!

The white stuff you describe under the oil cap is only common on cars with head gasket /seal failure where the water and the oil mix.

So if the car you saw has never had a cambelt changed, and has white gunk under the oil cap, then don't buy it!!

You checked the place I always check first. Walk away from it now. This means that the there is moisture in the oil. More often than not the head gasket is on it's way out.

Heaverton you were quick.

As per the other posts WALK AWAY the gunk indicates water mixing with the oil as the other post said and this is a good sign the cylinder head gasket is on its way out
    I bet this is why he is selling it

the belts should be changed on all cars ususally 75,000 miles approx or about 5 or 6 yrs but check the manuals

think its a timing chain on these not a belt, but anyway the white gunk is not a good sign i'd stear clear mate

Didn’t the older vauxhall engines get condensation when stood for a while so the oil cap would show the white yogurt but would burn off after a good run

Hi,there is a cambelt on these and not a timing chain.The belt should be changed at 75000 miles.Obviously the white gunk means either the head gasket as gone or is going.The only option is to forget this purchase.
    Good luck with your search!

The white stuff may have absolutely nothing to do with the head gasket. Cars that do short runs tend to suffer from it as the engine never gets hot enough to evaporate all the moisture so it creams the filler cap.

Shengis;4971480

The white stuff may have absolutely nothing to do with the head gasket. … The white stuff may have absolutely nothing to do with the head gasket. Cars that do short runs tend to suffer from it as the engine never gets hot enough to evaporate all the moisture so it creams the filler cap.

Thought you were going to say buy a Ford!:)

GAVINLEWISHUKD;4971491

Thought you were going to say buy a Ford!:)

Well that is the sensible route :giggle:

Corsas are the one vauxhall I don't mind too much as it goes. Corsa B 1l is the best buy imho even though they do suffer from MAF related problems a fair bit.

Original Poster

ok thanks for all your comments and help! OK i went to see another Corsa and it had the same issue with the gunk in the oil cap! Doing some research on the net it seems to be common with the corsa's
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ditched Sky1315
      2. What would be a Mario Kart type game for the PS4?33
      3. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      4. Biscuit addiction1231

See more discussions