Question for anyone on EE payg

7 replies
Found 10th Jan
Hi guys,
I'm looking to move to EE from giffgaff as the signals Brewster near me.
I'm in the 2gb data package normally but ideally want about 3gb+ a month
I've been looking at their packages which start at 500mb but it says something about getting 500mb free data as long as I buy a package.
am I right in thinking if I start on the 1gb online offer then again each month it will increase 500mb each month.
so say in 4 months my monthly data allowance would be about the 3gb mark ?
or am I reading this wrong
cheers

7 Comments

I just got with Virgin media sin only £15 20gb unlimited texts on EE.

Original Poster

I'll have a look at that not sure what network virgin use but I know EE's better than O2 near us.
cheers

They're known as "Free Boosts"
ee.co.uk/hel…sts

In order to start getting 500MB, you first have to buy three 30 day packs. After that, 500MB will be added to each new 30 day pack but doesn't carry over to next month so buying a pack in your 5th month would still be 500MB. Look under "Getting more free boosts". In order for your free data to increase, you need to buy another set of three packs. Not sure if there's a limitation to how many that can be added but I think in order to get a free 2GB, you'd need a year's worth of 30 day packs.

Virgin use EE's network. Same for Asda, Co-op, Plusnet and BT mobile. So there's likely a few other better alternatives since EE's PAYG isn't good value.

stefromuk

I'll have a look at that not sure what network virgin use but I know EE's … I'll have a look at that not sure what network virgin use but I know EE's better than O2 near us.cheers

Virgin Mobile uses the EE network

Original Poster

dreadzone101

They're known as "Free … They're known as "Free Boosts"http://ee.co.uk/help/my-account/pay-as-you-go/ee-free-boostsIn order to start getting 500MB, you first have to buy three 30 day packs. After that, 500MB will be added to each new 30 day pack but doesn't carry over to next month so buying a pack in your 5th month would still be 500MB. Look under "Getting more free boosts". In order for your free data to increase, you need to buy another set of three packs. Not sure if there's a limitation to how many that can be added but I think in order to get a free 2GB, you'd need a year's worth of 30 day packs.Virgin use EE's network. Same for Asda, Co-op, Plusnet and BT mobile. So there's likely a few other better alternatives since EE's PAYG isn't good value.

​ ah thanks for that
that clears it up I'll also look at the others like Asda.
Not sure if it's the same with other providers but the O2 speeds seem to be slightly better than giffgaff speeds which use the same network.

stefromuk

​ ah thanks for that that clears it up I'll also look at the others like A … ​ ah thanks for that that clears it up I'll also look at the others like Asda.Not sure if it's the same with other providers but the O2 speeds seem to be slightly better than giffgaff speeds which use the same network.

They're often referred to as "piggyback" networks so they may not be the full speed of the parent/host network but I doubt the difference would be substantial for it to be that noticeable in normal daily usage. I'm on Three and have used Freedompop which piggback Three network. Didn't notice any difference, although I wouldn't be sure of other providers either.

giffgaff have significantly lower speeds than O2 because of their specific licence with O2. other MVNO's may have similar deals with the network they use. most on EE's network just have access to a maximum of 30Gb/s which in the real world should be perfectly fine. best thing to do is experiment! buy a payg SIM and try it in your phone (or a spare) and see what signal/ speeds you get in the areas you use
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition63660
    2. Win a google pixel phone at Stylist1111
    3. win free cash32
    4. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines10

See more discussions