Question for the Mods; Seeking clarification on merchant suitability.

Found 19th FebEdited by:"ThanksForThat"
If a mod could come back to me on this I'd very much appreciate it, as I'd like to know where I'm going wrong (I have sent an email but not had an answer as yet).

I posted a deal earlier that was pulled because apparently the seller "wasn't suitable". There's been plenty of deals from this seller listed on here, the last in December last year (which is still active).

The company is UK-registered, trading since 1964 with a 91% positive rating from Amazon based on 2100+ reviews over the last 12 months, and 99.4% postive rating on ebay based on over 63,000 ratings.

When I re-posted the deal with this information attached, it was pulled again for the same reason. If this kind of trading history and reputation is considered unsuitable, then what IS suitable?

I've had deals pulled before from another vendor who I and many others have dealt with many times without issue, and who have a 90% 5-star Trustpilot rating on over 26,000 reviews (ironically much better than HUKD's own Trustpilot rating) and a 99.5% rating on ebay on over 52,800 ratings.

I've also had deals pulled down from Amazon marketplace sellers. Aside from anything else, isn't it Amazon's job to police their sellers? Buying from a marketplace seller is as good as buying from Amazon, they guarantee all purchases and are very quick to act if there's a problem.

Call me a cynic, but this doesn't seem like vetting a seller for the benefit of the customer, it seems like censorship of certain sellers for reasons unknown.

I have asked for clarification on this issue before, but never get a reply, hence me now asking the question in the open.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
This happened to me several years ago and I discovered there was a list of "approved" companies/organisations.
The list was well hidden, but I eventually found it in a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory housed in an unlit cellar accessed via a missing staircase. After ignoring the sign on the door stating "Beware of the Leopard", I managed to get in.
Hi If you've emailed in (which you have and this was received at 11:33am) then you need ot wait for the team to review it and come back to you.

If a moderator has already reviewed and deemed unsuitable then we don't let another moderator jump in, it needs an independent review. Someone will be in touch with you shortly.
magicjay19862 m ago

Hi If you've emailed in (which you have and this was received at …Hi If you've emailed in (which you have and this was received at 11:33am) then you need ot wait for the team to review it and come back to you. If a moderator has already reviewed and deemed unsuitable then we don't let another moderator jump in, it needs an independent review. Someone will be in touch with you shortly.

Thank you Jay. Yes I emailed about this one specifically today, though I have asked the question before in every case of a deal being pulled for this reason, and have never received a response, or at least not one that ever offered an explanation.
As for your other questions...

Amazon might have their own vetting procedures but that doesn't mean for the benefit of our community we should rely on their decisions. So we take a look at the merchants offering the item and whether they'd be suitable for adding to our merchant list in their own right. We'll also look at feedback gained and over which period. If its borderline we'll spend some time working through some of the reviews to see if there are any anomalies (like 1/5 ratings but complimentary review etc). In isolation, 91% is quite low and lower than what we'd allow.
magicjay198618 m ago

As for your other questions...Amazon might have their own vetting …As for your other questions...Amazon might have their own vetting procedures but that doesn't mean for the benefit of our community we should rely on their decisions. So we take a look at the merchants offering the item and whether they'd be suitable for adding to our merchant list in their own right. We'll also look at feedback gained and over which period. If its borderline we'll spend some time working through some of the reviews to see if there are any anomalies (like 1/5 ratings but complimentary review etc). In isolation, 91% is quite low and lower than what we'd allow.

I understand, and appreciate the time you must put in, but it seems queer when Amazon have "got our back", as it were. I'm fortunate to only have had one issue with a marketplace seller, which was a case of a product not being as advertised (though not unusable). I contacted Amazon, they contacted the seller, got no reply so within a few days I had a full refund AND the item. Like I say it's as good as buying from Amazon direct, so I'm confused by the further need for vetting.

Conversely Trustpilot's scores for the likes of Tesco, Screwfix and B&Q range from bad to abysmal, yet deals for these are posting (without removal) daily.

If you don't mind me saying, something doesn't quite add up.
Edited by: "ThanksForThat" 19th Feb
magicjay198612 m ago

As for your other questions...Amazon might have their own vetting …As for your other questions...Amazon might have their own vetting procedures but that doesn't mean for the benefit of our community we should rely on their decisions. So we take a look at the merchants offering the item and whether they'd be suitable for adding to our merchant list in their own right. We'll also look at feedback gained and over which period. If its borderline we'll spend some time working through some of the reviews to see if there are any anomalies (like 1/5 ratings but complimentary review etc). In isolation, 91% is quite low and lower than what we'd allow.

91% is quite low and lower than you'd allow?

Gearbest has 76%, on Trustpilot, but they are posted all the time (with a more than equal amount of complaints).

Quidco has 87%, on Trustpilot....

Argos has 86%, on Trustpilot,....

I'm just going to search for 'The Bible' to see if there's anyone even trust?
Trustpilot ratings:

B&Q 7% 5-star, 81% 1-star; 1/5 overall
Screwfix 38% 5-star, 35% 1-star; 2/5 overall
Homebase 33% 5-star, 26%; 1-star; 2/5 overall
Tesco 29% 5-star, 38% 1-star; 2/5 overall
Amazon 57% 5-star, 22% 1-star; 2/5 overall
John Lewis 21% 5-star, 64% 1-star; 1/5 overall
I'm not sure why the conversation has moved to Trustpilot when we're talking specifically about marketplace criteria on Amazon. I've already said that 91% is lower than what we'd expect to see taking it in isolation. Due to the nature of what they are, we'd never just rely solely on review sites for merchant criteria when checking them out.

I'm happy to have an open discussion but lets not ruin it with the kind of off-topic remarks i've had to remove.
magicjay198617 m ago

I'm not sure why the conversation has moved to Trustpilot when we're …I'm not sure why the conversation has moved to Trustpilot when we're talking specifically about marketplace criteria on Amazon. I've already said that 91% is lower than what we'd expect to see taking it in isolation. Due to the nature of what they are, we'd never just rely solely on review sites for merchant criteria when checking them out. I'm happy to have an open discussion but lets not ruin it with the kind of off-topic remarks i've had to remove.

Sorry, I took your response to mean in general, as I'd mentioned a few different sellers (not just marketplace).

It's a fair point though, and not off-topic as I referred to certain sellers Trustpilot reviews in my OP; that sellers with great TP ratings can be removed while those with dismal one's aren't seems strange. I appreciate TP isn't the b-all-and-end-all but it must have some bearing on the decsions you take?

I'm not trying to have a go or anything, I just don't quite get the system. The second company I alluded to in my OP was FFX. I've used them plenty of times without issue (there was an instance where something that was supposed to be in stock wasn't, but I was well compensated for the delay caused), they're well-established and get overall great reviews. So what specifically is it that has got them banned?
magicjay198615 m ago

I'm not sure why the conversation has moved to Trustpilot when we're …I'm not sure why the conversation has moved to Trustpilot when we're talking specifically about marketplace criteria on Amazon. I've already said that 91% is lower than what we'd expect to see taking it in isolation. Due to the nature of what they are, we'd never just rely solely on review sites for merchant criteria when checking them out. I'm happy to have an open discussion but lets not ruin it with the kind of off-topic remarks i've had to remove.

Sorry , I don't know how to find the marketplace criteria on Amazon for Gearbest, Argos or Quidco etc. It seems there are two measuring 'yardsticks' here.

I too have had desks rejected because they didn't meet the 'strict criteria' then had desks from the same company posted a few days later. It would be great if there was some transparency or a section for 'Del Boy Deals' where HUKD does not endorse them, and people are made aware of the risks.
Anyone?
Interesting topic as I once had a deal pulled from an Amazon seller but just put it down to HUKD maybe getting a affiliate link that pays a commission from Ebay and Amazon but not individual sellers

Do not mind at all as this is a great site without adverts all over the place and i suppose they have to make cash as well
But i may be well off the mark and anyway it does not bother me at all
It does seem to change..I can think of two makeup vendors, one I posted a Deal for recently, last time was about two years ago, which was pulled (saveonmakeup) and there's a recent one for TAM Beauty (who own Makeup Revolution/Freedom Makeup etc, now allowed, I was always told it was an unsuitable merchant. )

Only really annoying if your posting style is of lists with lots of jpegs, and you've spent ages compiling your post
Edited by: "louiselouise" 19th Feb
There's more going on here than meets the eye. I finally got an email reply back- not with an explanation, just saying that HUKD had now decided the seller was suitable. So I re-posted the deal. A while later someone mentioned it was now OOS, so I went on to check before expiring it and noticed the price was wrong- someone's edited my post and changed the link to an older, now obsolete listing for the same product. The link I originally posted is still in stock at the price I'd said. So basically someone's tampered with my post to make it look like the deal has passed- somebody doesn't want this product listed at this price.
Edited by: "ThanksForThat" 21st Feb
ThanksForThat55 m ago

There's more going on here than meets the eye. I finally got an email …There's more going on here than meets the eye. I finally got an email reply back- not with an explanation, just saying that HUKD had now decided the seller was suitable. So I re-posted the deal. A while later someone mentioned it was now OOS, so I went on to check before expiring it and noticed the price was wrong- someone's edited my post and changed the link to an older, now obsoltete listing for the same product. The link I originally posted is still in stock at the price I'd said. So basically someone's tampered with my post to make it look like the deal has passed- somebody doesn't want this product listed at this price.

Can you re-edit the post? This might not be the case, but has someone edited it for a referral link? Just saying

Just look at how many Chinese deals get pushed through, regardless of mounting complains on here too
FreeDeal19 m ago

Can you re-edit the post? This might not be the case, but has someone …Can you re-edit the post? This might not be the case, but has someone edited it for a referral link? Just sayingJust look at how many Chinese deals get pushed through, regardless of mounting complains on here too

I don't know. The link was for the same company and product but an expired listing, so I don't think that would be the case even if it was possible. This deal was pulled down twice before, and on the second occasion, before it was removed, someone commented on it being OOS and the price wrong. At the time I put it down to my error, so when I finally got the green-light to post the deal I double-checked I was using the right link- it has absolutely been changed since I posted it up. And in hindsight I don't think I did get it wrong in the first place, I'd bookmarked the link so I don't know how I would have ended up with a different one. I think it was changed both times, and for the same reason it was pulled twice for no reason- I think someone doesn't want it advertised at this price, and the only logical conclusion is that it's "conflicting" somewhere. But this is really under-hand behaviour.
Edited by: "ThanksForThat" 21st Feb
Still no official explanation, but I had another deal pulled yesterday (ebay seller) that HUKD did their 5-second extensive background checks on, while currently two deals that have been flagged as fakes multiple times by members continue to run. Then had comment deleted today pointing at a better price for something (from a retailer that is listed on here all the time) as apparently it was "unsuitable".

"HotUKDeals is a community for deal seekers. Find and share the best deals"

Apparently not.
Edited by: "ThanksForThat" 21st Mar
Oh we're on a roll today! Posted up a 1p sim card on Amazon purely for taking £19.99 orders up to £20 for free delivery. "Not suitable". Fulfilled by Amazon, an Amazon add-on item. But not suitable.
Well this is interesting, in the context of my original post:

34108881-EtqDi.jpg
Just goes to show that the removal of certain deals has nothing to do with the legitimacy of the seller, and proof that if you lie constantly eventually you'll trip up.
Edited by: "ThanksForThat" 22nd Jun
Mods, any update on specific guidelines as to which sellers we can post deals about? I'm surprised that with this being a site with a high amount of community contribution that there are no detailed guidelines. The rules and regulations code of conduct looks very thin. A list of approved/not approved shops/sellers/sites would be very useful to all.
Edited by: "OdhranC" 23rd Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants