Question: Halfords Auto Centre

Found 12th Jan 2012
I'm taking my old Corsa to Halfords Autocentre tomorrow for a free brake check, since my old mechanic mentioned something about the brakes would need looking at soon. I have no intention of letting them fix anything, and intend to source whatever parts I need to fit myself, or find a cheaper garage to do it for me.

The question is...how long do you think it will take for them to do a brake check? I realise that this depends on how many other jobs they have to do, but I have to take the car down to an industrial park...and I can't really go home etc once I'm there, so an estimate on the job from someone who knows would be great.

Thanks.
Community Updates
12 Comments
More than likely it will need booking in, they are unlikely to do it on the spot imo.
Its free so once they start you are looking at a matter of minutes. they will not want to spend much time on it.
Original Poster
greg_68 - I should have mentioned, I have actually booked it in!

jonny619447 - Thanks, definitely what I was hoping for.
I don't know how they do it at Halfords, but if it's anything like the MOT brake test then it only takes a few minutes.
if you have drum brakes on the car they probably won't take the drums off to inspect the brakes there ' just in case anything pops off'.
Banned
the brakes are checked during an MOT why bother wasting your time? they'll just say yes they need doing like all garages do. Wait till you hear a grinding noise, then it's time to change the pads, leave the discs till you can feel the brake pedal pulsating, that's the discs warping/cracking.
If the old mechanic said they will need looking at soon it is likely to be either worn pads or discs, both are DIY achievable at a fraction of the cost of Halfords, they wanted around £250 to change my pads and discs, did it myself for the grand sum of around £50.

Why didn't you get you get the original mechanic to do it?
greg_68

If the old mechanic said they will need looking at soon it is likely to … If the old mechanic said they will need looking at soon it is likely to be either worn pads or discs, both are DIY achievable at a fraction of the cost of Halfords, they wanted around £250 to change my pads and discs, did it myself for the grand sum of around £50.Why didn't you get you get the original mechanic to do it?

Indeed, Halfrauds will only check your bank balance for you.

They cannot even assemble a push bike safely, I would not let them anywhere near my brakes.
Inactive

Indeed, Halfrauds will only check your bank balance for you.They cannot … Indeed, Halfrauds will only check your bank balance for you.They cannot even assemble a push bike safely, I would not let them anywhere near my brakes.

True i had a bike off them a few year ago and one of the breaks came off and it had to go back for repair and needed a new crank cos the threads were stripped off..
Visually inspect them yourself, Jack it up, Remove wheel and take a look at the pad and discs, Discs should be nice and smooth, If pads are low, Replace them before they damage the discs, When they get low they tend to break up and can damage discs as they can start digging in etc..

Same on rear if discs, Drums are a little different, However check handbrake, Park on an hill, Put handbrake on, If it holds ok then they are probably fine.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 12th Jan 2012
Brakes can be checked yourself, just make sure there is a good chunk of meat on the pads, if they are thin on the outside, they will be thin or thinner on the inside and they need changing.

If you have drums on the back halfords wont take the caps off to check them, wait for the MOT if you dont want to just change them.
Original Poster
I was given this brake checking advice from the previous owner, so I'm just following it up.

The handbrake doesn't hold well on a steep incline, as it happens.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions