Expired

Question: Has anyone tried getting stuff from ISP to not leave?

14 replies
Found 18th Sep 2006
Weird question but has anyone ever called to cancel their ISP and asked for or received offers for extras to stay? I was thinking of calling Tiscali and telling them im going to Sky who offer cheaper rates and wireless modem and maybe try an angle a new modem from them?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
15 Comments

There have been threads on here about this...some have had offers that match the Sky deal, one recently managed to get a free wireless modem from AOL on condition that a new 12 month contract was agreed.

The general view is give it a go as you've nothing to lose.

Yesterday i phoned AOHELL to cancel my account because i can only get a max download speed of 1 meg and i was paying for 2 meg on their gold package @£24.99 a month.Told them i wanted to change isp's but they informed me that whoever i was with i would still only get a max speed of 1 meg.As an incentive for me to stay with them i got a free wireless router,my monthly fee knocked down to £9.99 a month with the first 2 months free,needless to say i stayed with them on another 12 month contract...ah well,better the devil you know

for that price I wouldn't complain
lol

roadhog

Yesterday i phoned AOHELL to cancel my account because i can only get a … Yesterday i phoned AOHELL to cancel my account because i can only get a max download speed of 1 meg and i was paying for 2 meg on their gold package @£24.99 a month.Told them i wanted to change isp's but they informed me that whoever i was with i would still only get a max speed of 1 meg.As an incentive for me to stay with them i got a free wireless router,my monthly fee knocked down to £9.99 a month with the first 2 months free,needless to say i stayed with them on another 12 month contract...ah well,better the devil you know

Think I'm going to try that 2moro! The best I've ever done was 3 months @ £17.99 from Wanadoo / Orange for free

I'm experiencing downloading problems too, currently with Pipex on a contract free deal which is cool. Anyway i'm on a supposedly 1meg broadband deal with them but i hardly see 50kb/s or more whenever downloading.
It's getting annoying now, i get shockingly bad speeds yet Pipex too tell me that whoever i go to for another broadband deal i will struggle for a good speed, might try and get something from them now, will ring them tomorrow see what they say now mwuahahaha!

i've got my broadband down to 9.99 for 6 months with blueyonder
altho its been f**kd recently.... droppin a connection
they are comin to fit a new cable for me next week...
and i managed to get the 9.99 offer extended for an extra 3 months

roadhog

Yesterday i phoned AOHELL to cancel my account because i can only get a … Yesterday i phoned AOHELL to cancel my account because i can only get a max download speed of 1 meg and i was paying for 2 meg on their gold package @£24.99 a month.Told them i wanted to change isp's but they informed me that whoever i was with i would still only get a max speed of 1 meg.As an incentive for me to stay with them i got a free wireless router,my monthly fee knocked down to £9.99 a month with the first 2 months free,needless to say i stayed with them on another 12 month contract...ah well,better the devil you know

Before I try my luck with AOL could you please inform if the £9.99 a month is for the whole term of your new 12 month contract.and did they keep you on gold or downgrade to silver?..like you I am on the gold package and have never received a 2mb download speed so am not a happy bunny.
Your advice would be most appreciated

roadhog

Just got the same deal! I am made up and they have thrown in the router as well - I got told the same about the download speed, I am on the silver package Thanks roadhog :thumbsup:

daz1969

Just got the same deal! I am made up and they have thrown in the router … Just got the same deal! I am made up and they have thrown in the router as well - I got told the same about the download speed, I am on the silver package Thanks roadhog :thumbsup:

Thanks daz1969...did the same as you (should have done it months ago) and yes success for the £9.99 deal and a free wireless modem...the latter they only wanted to give if I agreed to a £14.99 deal but I pleaded that I had been a loyal customer for many years and they gave in to my wish.

i`ve rang and aol have offered me at 9.99 a month. got them to put in e-mail and i`ve just replied saying thanks but unless you can offer me 2 months free and a free router i`m not going to renew.....let u know what happens!

My router arrived today! Well chuffed with it :thumbsup:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j273/daz_1969/mexican.gif

yes i phoned telewest saying i was leaving for sky

was on 4mb and also had supreme cable tv(best tv option)

they knocked £8 off the broadband and increased to 10mb

and halved my cable tv to £7

so was paying £43

now paying £25 a month

superb result!

On similar lines I rung to cancel my subscription with lovefilm after using the offer they had sent for 3 months for the price of 1. He asked why I wanted to cancel to which I replied that the offer had come to an end, and he promptly reinstated it for me another three months for the price of one.

Another thing with ISP's especially Tiscali they don't automatically reduce your monethly payment when they offer new customers new deals. For example they recently dropped my broadband package by a pound a month (not a lot but £12 a year is a saving) to new customers. My payment remained at the higher cost, so I sent and email asking could I have the lower price, eventually they reduced my payment and I saved my £12.

Someone I know asked for a router from AOL as they were offering it to new customers, and AOL sent it... no problems... which aint bad...

As for me... I am now on Tiscali £9.99 2MB broadband with free weekend calls apparently... due to them not wanting me to leave.

just a quick update,router came, router got sold on ebay for £42.00
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244922
    2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428114649
    3. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA1889
    4. Anyone else bored of video gaming1321

See more discussions