Groups

Question : How to install Win 7 and not get stuck on searching for updates?

Hi all

I'm not particularly tech savvy so I could do with a little help. I have two laptops both of which require full Win 7 re-installs. I have discs for both, both early versions of Win 7, both 64 bit. One laptop is a retail Win 7 Home premium, the other has the original HP reinstall discs. Both install fine and go through the Microsoft/Windows update process and both get stuck after hours of updates on the 'searching for updates'. This was a known fault with the update process about 18 months ago but presumably the update still downloads as part of the updates from Microsoft. Basically means I cannot get all the newer updates as it never stops searching.

I've tried to sort this out but the solution seems to be huge edits of registry code which is crazy. Anyone able to point me in the right direction for an easier fix? The 'fix tool' doesn't seem to work. Thanks

21 Comments

There is a windows update roll up for July 2016. Search for update KB3172605 and try installing that first. It will twice the number of updates windows needs to find.

Original Poster

Thanks will try that later

I had this problem recently and this is what I did.

First, I installed the Windows 7 Convenience Rollup.

Instructions here

Then I used WSUS Offline to download some more updates.

See here

This is a tool for downloading Windows updates and it also saves actual update installers to your hard disk so you can copy them to another PC and avoid having to redownload all the updates.

Anyway, I received about 25 updates from WSUS. After that, Windows Update started working again and found a few more updates.

Install windows ten instead. 7 is dead

alcurtis93

true.

just google windows 10 accesibility and you can upgrade for free on official microsoft site

it sounds as tho the op doesn't want win10 which is very wise. personally I tried 10 and went back as 10 is not a good system.

jonnithomas

it sounds as tho the op doesn't want win10 which is very wise. … it sounds as tho the op doesn't want win10 which is very wise. personally I tried 10 and went back as 10 is not a good system.

​10 is excellent. It's the normal one crap Windows one great one order. XP great, Vista crap, 7 great 8 crap. 10 great....

Original Poster

HamanBasher

true.just google windows 10 accesibility and you can upgrade for free on … true.just google windows 10 accesibility and you can upgrade for free on official microsoft site

​Thanks, but I hate it. I'm afraid I'm old school when I could understand what was going on with my files etc. Sure I'll be forced to succumb one day

tommy6000009

​10 is excellent. It's the normal one crap Windows one great one order. … ​10 is excellent. It's the normal one crap Windows one great one order. XP great, Vista crap, 7 great 8 crap. 10 great....

for it to be 'great' it should at least be able to do everything that the previous version did and work without issue with the devices that the previous OS did. it didn't it makes decisions for the user as 'microsoft knows best' that require registry editing to stop.

Windows 10 wants to provide the facilities and UI available in a smartfone when it's not a smartfone. sure provide those gimmicks as an extra but not at the detriment of the main functionality.

BlackCloud

​Thanks, but I hate it. I'm afraid I'm old school when I could understand … ​Thanks, but I hate it. I'm afraid I'm old school when I could understand what was going on with my files etc. Sure I'll be forced to succumb one day

People won't be as happy once Microsoft puts its software licensing pricing on the OS. After all do they really think Microsoft just gave away Windows 10 ? I'm staying on 7 as long as I can and then moving to Apple.

alcurtis93

Many will disagree with you.

The windows 7 update servers are now poop on clean installs best to do them offline.

I had the same problem and I just gave up. Why don't you just upgrade to Win10 for free. Win10 is so much better than Win7 (this is coming from a die hard Win7 fan), once you've installed Win10 install classic shell and this will make your Win10 look and feel like Win7 (takes less than 30 sec to do).

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 4th Jan

jonnithomas

for it to be 'great' it should at least be able to do everything that the … for it to be 'great' it should at least be able to do everything that the previous version did and work without issue with the devices that the previous OS did. it didn't it makes decisions for the user as 'microsoft knows best' that require registry editing to stop. Windows 10 wants to provide the facilities and UI available in a smartfone when it's not a smartfone. sure provide those gimmicks as an extra but not at the detriment of the main functionality.

​That's your opinion. For me it just needs to be able to do everything I want it to do. Skipped 8 as it had that stupid touchscreen phone look and I couldn't use it. Turned off all the secret Big Brother 1984 stuff so people can't see the lists of people I've murdered, my top secret plans to take over the world and the various others schemes I don't want them finding out about me. So far so good.

Depending on the age of the discs there might be a service pack you can jump to (iirc sp2 is the current)

tommy6000009

​That's your opinion. For me it just needs to be able to do everything I … ​That's your opinion. For me it just needs to be able to do everything I want it to do. Skipped 8 as it had that stupid touchscreen phone look and I couldn't use it. Turned off all the secret Big Brother 1984 stuff so people can't see the lists of people I've murdered, my top secret plans to take over the world and the various others schemes I don't want them finding out about me. So far so good.

Yes, of course it's only my opinion. everything on HUKD is a subjective observation Happy new year.

I find the following solution works a treat - wu.krelay.de/en/

As further Windows updates are released the info on the page is updated to suit.
    Edited by: "vultura" 4th Jan

daletharper

this is the only one that worked for me

That fixed it for me as well two weeks ago. I just installed the two updates linked though and didn't bother changing all the settings.
    Edited by: "dcx_badass" 4th Jan

Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully have a go today.

Very helpful info and links. Nice to have as knowledge and reference. (_;)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sky11
      2. Iptv1227
      3. Hifi Speaker cable choice?46
      4. best place for fishing tackle?11

See more discussions