Groups

Question regarding choice of godparents...

My mum has asked if I would become my little sisters godmother. But we dont know its allowed as i am her sister, does it make any difference that she has a different father, i am a lot older than my sister, she is 6 and i'm 22 (not that it makes any difference).

Point is, is it ok for me to be her godmother as i am her sister?

Ive tried searching online but with no real answer.

Many thanks in advance.

18 Comments

Hiya, I am not really sure sorry. But I can't see why not...... hope you can be though

Original Poster

Thankyou, i hope so too, just cant find any decent information

My Sis is mine:thumbsup:

Absolutely, it doesn't matter in the slightest if u are related - congratulations to u :-D

i would have thought it would be ok as you are saying that if anything happens to your mum you would take care of your sister

my nan & grandad died when my aunt was 10 & my other aunt (her sister) adopted her so would have thought being a godparent to your sister would be fine :thumbsup:

i can see no reason why this would not be allowed hope you can what a lovely idea

Cant see why not, are you fully aware of the responsibilities and potential implications?

Thats what made me refuse my mates request, as I didn't want the responsibility of raising his child in the unlikely event of his demise.

DKLS;5072608

Cant see why not, are you fully aware of the responsibilities and … Cant see why not, are you fully aware of the responsibilities and potential implications?Thats what made me refuse my mates request, as I didn't want the responsibility of raising his child in the unlikely event of his demise.

i don't think that happens these days...it's more about being a mentor and good example for the child and generally guiding them down the right path etc

Original Poster

yes thankyou for all your help! knew there'd be some helpful people here Im am aware of it all thanks for you concern :thumbsup:

You can choose whoever you like to be your child's godparents, questions aren't asked as to what relation they are, it's just names required. A godparent is someone who promises to look over their godchild and if anything should happen to there parents, would be willing to take that child in and look after him/her. Perhaps as there is such a large age gap between you and your sister it is quite fitting that you are her godmother as I am sure that you would be more than happy to look after her if needs be. If you want proper clarification, just ring your local church office and ask them but I'm sure they'll say the same.

DKLS;5072608

Cant see why not, are you fully aware of the responsibilities and … Cant see why not, are you fully aware of the responsibilities and potential implications?Thats what made me refuse my mates request, as I didn't want the responsibility of raising his child in the unlikely event of his demise.

That would not happen unless it was stated in a will, these days at least. A godparent is someone who takes an active interest in the welfare of the child and in a church ceremony promises to ensure that the child will be brought up knowing God. Wouldn't do it for anybody as couldn't stand there and pronise the last!

queenlush;5072654

i don't think that happens these days...it's more about being a mentor … i don't think that happens these days...it's more about being a mentor and good example for the child and generally guiding them down the right path etc

i thought the same as you its more about being a good mentor and helping them through life

Ive tried searching online but with no real answer.

Do you go to church?

Original Poster

not for a long while, my mum was waiting for a callback about it but thought i'd ask here as there's usually someone that knows!

Banned

god parents are not susbstitute parents should anything happen to the parents of said child, they are there to keep the child on the right path, and has absolutely nothing to do with taking over the care should anything happen to the parents, as for you being your sisters godparent there is no reaosn why you cant be

Anyone can be a Godparent, The pledge is that you will guide, advise and bring up the child according to God's Christian way, it is a religious ceremony.

It will be fine, some churches request that godparents have themselves been baptised through. When I arranged my babies baptism the vicar said that sometimes that's a problem because many adults weren't baptised as children.

My godparents became Jehovah Witnesses :P

I think it would be wonderful for you to be your little sister's Godmother

hellfire;5072681

That would not happen unless it was stated in a will, these days at … That would not happen unless it was stated in a will, these days at least. A godparent is someone who takes an active interest in the welfare of the child and in a church ceremony promises to ensure that the child will be brought up knowing God. Wouldn't do it for anybody as couldn't stand there and pronise the last!

Thats a relief, I might re-consider then If I am ever asked again.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767218
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1012
      3. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      4. love affairs912

See more discussions