Groups

Question regarding paypal.

I'm about to make a pretty big purchase from the FS/FT forums. I know that if you select paypal gift, you are not protected if anything goes wrong. So which option is the protected one? Because I've tried the Payment for Goods option and paypal isn't charging me extra, I thought there are something called paypal fees.

Thanks

30 Comments

I think its the seller that pays the fee's not you!

Always go protected!

None of them are really safe. Smoke and mirrors.

YOU don't incur the fees the seller does when you send an ordinary paypal payment NOT gift.

You are only covered for an internet sale IF the item goes missing(INR) item not received,you're not covered at all with paypal on any other site bar ebay for SNAD significantly not as described.

paypal will not protect you on any purchases unless they are from ebay

If you paying by paypal gift you are not as protected as normal paypal. If you are paying from a card (not sure which ones) you have to pay the fees on with a paypal gift payment anyway. Best option would be to send normal paypal and add a few pounds extra to the seller for the fees that way your covered... well as much as u can be with paypal.... Grrrr i dont like them!!lol

eyecandystyle;4537417

paypal will not protect you on any purchases unless they are from ebay

Thats incorrect,you're covered for INR

Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Do you know roughly how much the fees will be if I'm trying to send 54 pounds?

Also the seller is only covered for upto 36 pounds with Royal Mail on 1st/2nd class & recorded IF the item goes missing in the post,so from a sellers point of view anything over that should go Special Delivery.

Stolen from AV Forums, but same will apply on here:

* Buyers who use Paypal Gift get no protection at all. It's not supposed to be used to buy goods, so there's no insurance.
    * Buyers who buy goods using Paypal through ebay are fully protected.
    * Buyers who buy off here (and other websites) using Paypal are guaranteed nothing if the trade goes bad. Yes, you can put in a Paypal claim, but at best, if you win, they will only reimburse what the "seller" has in their Paypal account at the time of judgment.

LittleRedGuard;4537450

Thanks everyone!Do you know roughly how much the fees will be if I'm … Thanks everyone!Do you know roughly how much the fees will be if I'm trying to send 54 pounds?

Treefiddy :lol:

(It's actually a bit less but haven't seen treefiddy posted in a while ;-) )

LittleRedGuard;4537450

Thanks everyone!Do you know roughly how much the fees will be if I'm … Thanks everyone!Do you know roughly how much the fees will be if I'm trying to send 54 pounds?

£2.11 :thumbsup:

Fees will be roughly 2 pounds.

Original Poster

midlandscomics;4537457

Stolen from AV Forums, but same will apply on here:* Buyers who use … Stolen from AV Forums, but same will apply on here:* Buyers who use Paypal Gift get no protection at all. It's not supposed to be used to buy goods, so there's no insurance.* Buyers who buy goods using Paypal through ebay are fully protected.* Buyers who buy off here (and other websites) using Paypal are guaranteed nothing if the trade goes bad. Yes, you can put in a Paypal claim, but at best, if you win, they will only reimburse what the "seller" has in their Paypal account at the time of judgment.

-_- that doesn't sound reassuring at all.... so, isn't it just better to go with paypal gift???

Its 3.4%+20p

NO paypal gift doesnt cover you for anything at all.

Original Poster

I've got another question, the FS/FT guide advises people to exchange:

Name and address including postcode

Is there anyway to verify that the seller provided the correct address??

Obtain a landline number and it maybe listed on bt.com for example.

If the person you're buying from has feedback already it should be ok,do they ?

Original Poster

Yea he has 4 positive feedback, but I've checked what was sold and they were all minute things, the most expensive one being 10 pounds. I guess I'm just being too paranoid, since this is my first big purchase (at least what I would consider big).

Its me he's buying off.I have 4 postitive feedback and wish to use paypal so we both protected.

Banned

if you really arent happy about paying through paypal for the item, ask them to list on ebay and tell them you will pay all of the fees

deb8z;4537488

NO paypal gift doesnt cover you for anything at all.

And no form of Paypal payment guarantess anything (outside fo eBay). Nor does cheque, bank transfer or postal order tbh.

If you use common sense though, check out the sellers feedback, get their full contact details, see pics of the item in their posession, and follow the FS/FT guidelines you should be fine :thumbsup:

People have bough things off me for £55-harmony one remote though he never left feedback £22-jumpers £15 perfume-although again didnt leave feedback £7 bench jumper £3 something higher Dior.Trust me the watch has a RRP of £199.99 so just trying to get a bit of money back.
    I'LL POST IT NOW FIRST CLASS X

No it doesnt midlands but at least an ordinary paypal payment can offer something rather than nothing if there are funds in the account.

OP gemm seems very nice ,i'm sure it will be ok.

deb8z;4537683

No it doesnt midlands but at least an ordinary paypal payment can offer … No it doesnt midlands but at least an ordinary paypal payment can offer something rather than nothing if there are funds in the account.OP gemm seems very nice ,i'm sure it will be ok.

Thanks Debs.So are you. I am genuine. Will send watch now.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I've paid already, so thanks for all the advice given!

Banned

gemmy i have asked for your thread to be unlocked, you shouldnt be locking threads till deal has been fully carried out and both sides are happy and feedback left

sassie;4537983

gemmy i have asked for your thread to be unlocked, you shouldnt be … gemmy i have asked for your thread to be unlocked, you shouldnt be locking threads till deal has been fully carried out and both sides are happy and feedback left

Ah I didnt realise,I need all the feedback I can!Thanks Sassie

did the 2 of you exchange details ie landline number or check if theres ebay feedback which can be verified with a msg.
    Only asking as if something does go wrong then that'll be the first thing that'll be posted when one of you ask for help.

Banned

you may have to report it again yourself, think mine tend to go to bottom of the list, also a reminder to make sure all threads are locked down and to wait 7 days before relisting

sassie;4538632

you may have to report it again yourself, think mine tend to go to bottom … you may have to report it again yourself, think mine tend to go to bottom of the list, also a reminder to make sure all threads are locked down and to wait 7 days before relisting

Cant relist it!It has been sold and sent!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44

See more discussions