Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Question regarding Virgin Hub, DHCP, modem mode etc.

Posted 26th Apr
I've got a slightly odd setup.

I have Virgin Media, with a Hub 3.0 router. After all the discussion on here about raspberry pi I decided to install pihole on one of mine. I've got it running and it seems to work well but I have to set the DNS settings on each device as the Hub 3.0 doesn't seem to let me choose my own DNS.

Having had a quick read, I need to put it into modem mode. However I never wanted to do that because last time I tried modem mode it disabled all of the other ports on the router.

My current configuration is that the router is near the TV downstairs, and has a variety of things plugged in, one of these does go to a gigabit switch which then has a gigabit wireless router which currently has DHCP disabled. The switch and the router are upstairs at the other side of the house, via a long cat 6 cable.

Is there any way I can work with what I've currently got? I can disable DHCP on the virgin box, and enable it on the wireless router upstairs - would that work? Would it become the default gateway?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
The whole point of using modem mode is then to add your own router. So only 1 port will work on the Superhub.

You can't edit DNS on the Superhub

You need to put it in modem mode. Add a router and then change the DNS to your pihole.

That should be your primary gateway. All the Superhub is doing is acting as the modem.

Superhub > Router > Switches / APs > Devices
Edited by: "bally12345" 26th Apr
bally1234526/04/2020 22:01

The whole point of using modem mode is then to add your own router. So …The whole point of using modem mode is then to add your own router. So only 1 port will work on the Superhub.You can't edit DNS on the SuperhubYou need to put it in modem mode. Add a router and then change the DNS to your pihole.That should be your primary gateway. All the Superhub is doing is acting as the modem.Superhub > Router > Switches / APs > Devices

Came here say what you said.

OP buy a router so you can change the dns and enjoy a glorious ad free home.
I already had a router but didn't really want it next to the super hub, but needed more ports next to the super hub. I also liked the fact that I had set both the super hub and the other router to the same SSID, so they both provided wireless at opposite ends, which gave great coverage.

I've juggled things around a little so that the wireless router is next to the superhub. I've just plonked it in for now, but it all then works. Pi hole is working great. Super hub set to Modem Only

I'll tweak around with a few bits tomorrow - if the worst comes to the worst, I'll have to buy another gigabit switch to give a few more ports upstairs - I'll also have to see how wireless coverage goes.

I was just hoping there was a way to get the second router to do all the DHCP stuff but leave the super hub running as well, but I couldn't get it to play ball.

Thanks for the replies
Ahh OK I get what your saying but you would just need to run another cable back next your router and connect a switch there or use a powerline adapter if you don't want to run another cable and then add switch to that.
I had a similar issue with a bt smart hub 2. I just disabled dhcp and allowed pihole to take control of dhcp. been working flawlessly since. only problem is a lot of the deal links on here don't work now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions