Question - Retaining mobile phone number on same network

Posted 17th Mar
I have just got a decent deal with Vodafone via Mobile Phones Direct but am currently already on Vodafone. I have a free three PAYG sim, and have requested a pac code to port my number to the three sim, and I have activated this sim online and put in the port number request.

So my question is, do I need to buy a top up for the three sim, or can I just port back out to the new Vodafone sim without topping up? If I have to top up, what happens to the unused credit on the three sim?

my port request should go live today, and my new sim is on its way. I don’t urgentlyneed to use the phone so don’t need to top up if I don’t have to.
Community Updates

Groups

11 Comments
The cost of the text message to request PAC (from 3) should be zero, so theoretically no need to topup.
Any optional topup balance is lost.
Thanks AndyRoyd
unclecuddles17/03/2020 11:27

Thanks AndyRoyd

Just a watch out, though it doesnt cost anything I tried it a few weeks ago with one of threes free data sims, even though I used it as a PAYG it didnt allow me to port the number even with credit on it. Spoke to Three after nothing happened after getting the confirmation text that this was down to it originally being a data sim. If yours is a proper PAYG you shouldnt have issues.
eslick17/03/2020 12:03

Just a watch out, though it doesnt cost anything I tried it a few weeks …Just a watch out, though it doesnt cost anything I tried it a few weeks ago with one of threes free data sims, even though I used it as a PAYG it didnt allow me to port the number even with credit on it. Spoke to Three after nothing happened after getting the confirmation text that this was down to it originally being a data sim. If yours is a proper PAYG you shouldnt have issues.

Not convinced OFCOM would accept deliberate restriction of exclusively data sim number portability, but unintentional issues may occur occasionally and if the network can sort without too much hassle then likely of no great inconvenience to the customer.
I did the same not so long ago, went from BT mobile, to BT mobile via Smarty.
£20 sim deal (on a one month term, paid by debit card and not direct debit with no credit check) with a £16 cashback, so wasnt a great outlay, but a smooth transition with no issues
eslick17/03/2020 12:03

Just a watch out, though it doesnt cost anything I tried it a few weeks …Just a watch out, though it doesnt cost anything I tried it a few weeks ago with one of threes free data sims, even though I used it as a PAYG it didnt allow me to port the number even with credit on it. Spoke to Three after nothing happened after getting the confirmation text that this was down to it originally being a data sim. If yours is a proper PAYG you shouldnt have issues.

Definitely a PAYG sim.
02 requires a top up if 10£
unclecuddles17/03/2020 15:35

My PAYG is Three?

Again, not convinced the regulator OFCOM would permit a network to charge customers for the specific communication of wanting to leave that network. The PAC request sent by the customer via text 65075 to the network should be no cost, but 3 also includes online and multiple cancellation options via phone
three.co.uk/sup…ree
Ok. So I have successfully ported the three. Now trying to obtain a pac code but getting a message “oops we can’t process your request at the moment due to a system issue”. Registered online and tried to request online but getting a similar message. Says call 333. I suppose I will have to call them
Tried again today and the PAC code came through, so should be able to port back to Vodafone now. Thanks for the help.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants