question time about speed cameras

15 replies
Found 6th Aug 2009
Just wonderd if the yellow box speed cameras can catch speeding drivers travelling towards them?i often see motorbikes going fast past them but of course they have no number plated on the front

15 Comments

no they cant!!! I do it all the time in my car...When there is a speed camera on the other side of the road, i speed up a bit and when it flashes its quite funny to see the expression of the drivers on the other side

it dont matter

I thought they could as they have the road markings on both sides of the road sometimes.

Magic_monkey;5949356

I thought they could as they have the road markings on both sides of the … I thought they could as they have the road markings on both sides of the road sometimes.

I suppose they do it so we think' they must be able to catch us on both sides' and slow down without having to pay for 2 cameras.

stewby;5949428

I suppose they do it so we think' they must be able to catch us on both … I suppose they do it so we think' they must be able to catch us on both sides' and slow down without having to pay for 2 cameras.

Keep thinking that and end up with points on your licence then.

DAMNOME;5949437

Keep thinking that and end up with points on your licence then.

I would never risk it, just summising from what was said previously. I drive a Xsara Picasso diesel so the chances of me going fast enough to be caught are very slim.

If it has a visible flash you cant get prosecuted travelling towards them :thumbsup:

Banned

If you are driving towards a standard GATSO type camera you cannot be done for speeding, regardless of whether there are markings on the road or not.

http://www.road-angel-uk.com/images/Gatso_450.jpg

The reason for markings on both sides of the road is so you cannot pass the GATSO in excess of the limit on the wrong side of the road and thus avoid penalty. The markings are key to proving your speed.

dimebars;5949670

The reason for markings on both sides of the road is so you cannot pass … The reason for markings on both sides of the road is so you cannot pass the GATSO in excess of the limit on the wrong side of the road and thus avoid penalty. The markings are key to proving your speed.

Guess they'll just drive on the grass to the side of the road then?:-D

Just found this comment, referring to various speed camera types, on speedlimit.org.uk/faq…tml

Q: I have been flashed by a Gatso on the opposite side of the road when driving towards it? Am I likely to be prosecuted?

A: No. A Gatso camera can only catch vehicles travelling away from it. When there is no film in a Gatso, the trigger threshold for a flash is often lowered, and the camera may be set to also flash approaching vehicles. This is what gives rise to the phenomenon you have observed.

It is important to distinguish Gatsos from Truvelo cameras, which do catch oncoming vehicles, but only emit a faint infra-red flash. Until recently, these have been very rare in the North-West, but are now becoming more common - for example, there are four on the A57 through Glossop in Derbyshire.

I have no knowledge either way, but always slow down on the opposite side too. Saw the following about these Truevelo cameras - Truvelo cameras are becoming increasingly more commonplace, counties such as Northamptonshire use predominately only Truvelo cameras speedcamerasuk.com/Tru…htm

So, it's worth checking out what camera types you're passing.

Gatso's are capable of reading the speed of oncoming cars but not government approved for doing so.

DON'T speed towards a Truvelo camera. They work in both directions and are approved to do so.

http://noticket.net/phantomshield/cameras/truvelo_speed_camera.jpg

/edit bah pipped at the post

dimebars;5949670

The reason for markings on both sides of the road is so you cannot pass … The reason for markings on both sides of the road is so you cannot pass the GATSO in excess of the limit on the wrong side of the road and thus avoid penalty. The markings are key to proving your speed.

Oh i see, thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Truvelo cameras (as detailed above) cannot catch the number plate of a motorbike speeding towards them, I've seen Truvelo pictures of motorbikes wheelying towards the camera. However the police have managed to get speeding convictions from motorcyclists caught front on by a Truvelo by noting down all of a bike and rider's details when they've been pulled over and then matching them to Truvelo pictures. With a combination of details they've been able to get a conviction such as the rider having relatively rare leathers/helmet, a bolt missing from the fairing, a modification to the fairing and one panel sprayed to a non-standard colour.

There's an error with the section above about the Truvelos though, they don't use an infrared flash which wouldn't be visible - instead they have a magenta filter across their flash which means when they go off the flash is bright and clearly visible even in daylight. What tends to catch people out with Truvelos is that they have been used to replace a Gatso and the Gatso markings are still there (Truvelos don't use these, they use sensors embedded in the road), I've seen people swear blind it was a Gatso and they were caught oncoming but it's been a Truvelo every time.

A dummy Gatso or one that's run out of film will tend to only flash once whereas they have to flash twice to have usable evidence. Never assume a Gatso is a dummy one though, forces can and do switch the internal parts around to swap the unit between being a dummy and a live unit.
John

Abz;5949158

no they cant!!! I do it all the time in my car...When there is a speed … no they cant!!! I do it all the time in my car...When there is a speed camera on the other side of the road, i speed up a bit and when it flashes its quite funny to see the expression of the drivers on the other side

Suppose your getting away with because your speeding up after the camera can take the number plate.

Stainy;5950234

/edit bah pipped at the post

Great clear info mate!

just watch out for this...

]http//ma…1.2

Look at the lines on the floor.. and then the camera comes in.

Lines first.. then camera!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Computer upgrades89
    2. Invisalign dental braces in London22
    3. Whey protien629
    4. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...811

See more discussions