Groups

Question to parents: how do u get ur lil uns to tk their antibiotics?!

Any tips or tricks?! my 7 yr old is a good boy and will tk his meds when he is ill....my 4 yr old is very poorly at mo and has been given erythromycin....but wow he hates it. when he was younger id pinch his nose and hed have to swallow it.....but now he wont do that and spits it up....

sounds bad i know, i told the nurse i struggle getting him to tk it but she said u just gotta be cruel to be kind.... i tried to be nice and bribe him if he took it on his own/let me give it to him..but hes just not listening....did get some in him but was messy business with most of it going all over the sofa.... and his clothes!

any tips/ideas?

44 Comments

My youngest (4) has never taken medicine. She even went through an operation without any pain relief! The only way we can get any kind of medicine down her is to hide it in either hot chocolate, milkshake or home made smoothies/milkshakes.

Also, another thing to hide it in is chocolate sauce and then pour it on a little bit of ice cream.
    Edited by: "galareho" 9th Feb 2011

i take it it must be horrible tasting, could you try maybe mixing it in with something to try take the taste away, my daughter takes medicine no prob infact she kicks up a fuss if i give my son some and not her lol im sure that will change when shes older.

Mix into a strong-flavoured cordial or juice.
    Or fill a syringe with the medicine & squirt the contents into the back of the patient's throat.

Alternatively, bribery (as you mentioned); take the medicine & you can have some chocolate to take the taste away afterwards (or whatever is the designed 'treat').

BFN,

fp.

Totally sympathise with you - we have to go through it every time our 4 year old has to get antibiotics which has been a lot lately. We have to use those special syringes (without the needle obviously) and practically have to hold her down. The syringe is a lot easier than a spoon as once you get it in its just a case of pushing the plunger quickly and its in!

kaks26

Totally sympathise with you - we have to go through it every time our 4 … Totally sympathise with you - we have to go through it every time our 4 year old has to get antibiotics which has been a lot lately. We have to use those special syringes (without the needle obviously) and practically have to hold her down. The syringe is a lot easier than a spoon as once you get it in its just a case of pushing the plunger quickly and its in!

We can't even use the syringes. She somehow closes off her throat and if any does go in she brings it back! Such fun.........

galareho

We can't even use the syringes. She somehow closes off her throat and if … We can't even use the syringes. She somehow closes off her throat and if any does go in she brings it back! Such fun.........

Been there a lot too - its such a nightmare. Its just luck if we do manage to get it in. Always feel like I've gone a round with Mike Tyson after doing medicine time lol.

Thing is when she's been in hospital she's absolutely fine with the nurses doing it and takes it no problem. They say she's only allowed home if she keeps taking it and she always nods etc. but then turns into something out of the Exorcist when we do it at home X)

Original Poster

im using the syringe but i cant get it past his teeth.....i ended up almost on top of him holding his limbs and then pinching his nose and holding his mouth......he still managed to spit it all out!

cant bribe him as he doenst want to eat anything or do anything....running a temp for a long time now and bearly eating due to sore throat.....

i like idea of putting it in other foods, but hes not really doing nmuch but taking a few sips at a time of water/juice....which wouldnt get him the 5ml i need 4 times a day....

dcx, sounds like u're onto a winner...haha..did make me laugh!!

and wow...galhero ur daughter had no pain relief! its crazy isnt it how stubborn kids can be!

pink ka..my 7 yr old is nuts as well...he's like can i try it ...i want to have some....haha! i buy calpol the proper stuff at home, so they tk it as its the nicest tasting one...but the antibiotics are all nasty flavours....plus hes stubborn

thanks for all ur suggestions guys, im gonna wait for hubby to get home so we can both team up against the might of the 4 yr old. will delay his doses waiting for him, but at least i wont waste half of it!

Original Poster

kaks26

Been there a lot too - its such a nightmare. Its just luck if we do … Been there a lot too - its such a nightmare. Its just luck if we do manage to get it in. Always feel like I've gone a round with Mike Tyson after doing medicine time lol. Thing is when she's been in hospital she's absolutely fine with the nurses doing it and takes it no problem. Tthey say she's only allowed home if she keeps taking it and she always nods etc. but then turns into something out of the Exorcist when we do it at home X)

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my son does that!! he disloacted his elbow a few months back so went to a&e and they gave the yucky tasting ibuprofen to him in a huuuuuuuuge syringe...i was like nah he wont tk that, she gave me a shut up woman look, handed him the syringe and he took it all with no probs! WHY DO THEY DO THAT?!

Aw, I hope he gets better soon. I've been lucky with mine - the first time they had medicine, they were really poorly, and IT WORKED - so they now associate the medicine spoon with the absolute knowledge that they WILL feel better very soon. They actually ask for medicine now, when they have a headache or a tummy ache!

kaks26

Been there a lot too - its such a nightmare. Its just luck if we do … Been there a lot too - its such a nightmare. Its just luck if we do manage to get it in. Always feel like I've gone a round with Mike Tyson after doing medicine time lol. Thing is when she's been in hospital she's absolutely fine with the nurses doing it and takes it no problem. They say she's only allowed home if she keeps taking it and she always nods etc. but then turns into something out of the Exorcist when we do it at home X)

Our daughter is that stubborn that she wouldn't even let the nurses give her anything when she was in hospital! The nurse didn't believe me when I said we can't get medicine in her until I showed her what happens when I try. She believed me then!!!

It doesn't get any better - my son is 17 and when he had swine flu last year I had to take the Tamiflu capsules apart and mix the contents with chocolate mousse because he refuses to swallow pills.

Original Poster

galareho

Our daughter is that stubborn that she wouldn't even let the nurses give … Our daughter is that stubborn that she wouldn't even let the nurses give her anything when she was in hospital! The nurse didn't believe me when I said we can't get medicine in her until I showed her what happens when I try. She believed me then!!!

at least she didnt show u up! haha...so they didnt have any tricks to get her to tk it....?

Original Poster

Butterbean

It doesn't get any better - my son is 17 and when he had swine flu last … It doesn't get any better - my son is 17 and when he had swine flu last year I had to take the Tamiflu capsules apart and mix the contents with chocolate mousse because he refuses to swallow pills.

haha...i reckon he knew if he complained he could get choc mousse!!

magicbeans

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my son does that!! he disloacted his elbow a few … OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my son does that!! he disloacted his elbow a few months back so went to a&e and they gave the yucky tasting ibuprofen to him in a huuuuuuuuge syringe...i was like nah he wont tk that, she gave me a shut up woman look, handed him the syringe and he took it all with no probs! WHY DO THEY DO THAT?!

Oh its so annoying - you feel like you know nothing and useless as well when you're in there.

Sometimes we have to have a glass of water or juice so she can drink straight away because some of them are pretty disgusting, especially the ones with the wee grainy bits in (they make such a mess of your clothes lol).

magicbeans

at least she didnt show u up! haha...so they didnt have any tricks to get … at least she didnt show u up! haha...so they didnt have any tricks to get her to tk it....?

lol, the nurse had to resort to our way with the hot chocolate! She only had a bit so put up with the pain of having her tonsils and adenoids out instead! Mums do know best (most of the time!!). oops, best go and pick them up from school!!

galareho

Our daughter is that stubborn that she wouldn't even let the nurses give … Our daughter is that stubborn that she wouldn't even let the nurses give her anything when she was in hospital! The nurse didn't believe me when I said we can't get medicine in her until I showed her what happens when I try. She believed me then!!!

Aw poor you - how do get her to take anything? Must be a total nightmare when you think she's starting to become ill. Girls are the worst - think we're all programmed to be stubborn! Does she take Calpol or just refuse to take anything point blank?

Original Poster

someone said it felt like a round with Mike Tyson...that made me LOL! so true!

if only he was eating/drinking the i could use these clever lil ideas,

thanks anyways guys

kaks26

Aw poor you - how do get her to take anything? Must be a total nightmare … Aw poor you - how do get her to take anything? Must be a total nightmare when you think she's starting to become ill. Girls are the worst - think we're all programmed to be stubborn! Does she take Calpol or just refuse to take anything point blank?

If she has a temperature we use disprol dissolved and added to warm milk. She knows theres something in there cos theres a slight taste but its called 'magic milk'. She's happy to drink that. With anti b's though we pray its the banana flavour one and make homemade banana milkshake or hot chocolate. It depends on her mood too! Thats all we can do!

Oldest 2 have been no bother taking medication,but the baby who is 16mths,he not like Calpol,so I give it in 1 them infant syringes and squirt in mouth,but I suppose a 4 yr old be less tolerant of that. I suggest if it can be put in a drink,ask at chemist if ok to put in.

Does he like smarties? Try and make it into a bit of a game. Tell him that there's nasty soldiers inside him trying to hurt him, and you have to send in the Army to kill them all. Tell him the Army are in the nasty medicine, & it tastes nasty because that's the only way you can kill the enemy, but the Army are protected from the bad taste by the smarties. Let him decide how many smarties he needs to take away the bad taste. (Oh, if only there was a book written on what parents have gone through!)

Just wondering if it is possible to get this dose in tablet/capsule form. Would he be willing to swallow a pill with a drink?

No horrible taste that way.

Original Poster

cis_groupie

Does he like smarties? Try and make it into a bit of a game. Tell him … Does he like smarties? Try and make it into a bit of a game. Tell him that there's nasty soldiers inside him trying to hurt him, and you have to send in the Army to kill them all. Tell him the Army are in the nasty medicine, & it tastes nasty because that's the only way you can kill the enemy, but the Army are protected from the bad taste by the smarties. Let him decide how many smarties he needs to take away the bad taste. (Oh, if only there was a book written on what parents have gone through!)

good idea....if he wanted to eat!! will keep that in mind though..kids love that sort of thing!

i dont think he can swallow a pill as his throat is sore.

weirdly the only thing he has eaten is cucumber.... so he had some of that post calpol and then a bit of choc and a few bits of crisp....nurse said just get anything inside him... gotta give him next dose in a bit.

was mental when we were trying to get the dose in him when hubby got back.... both of us restraining a 4 yr old... yikes...my poor 12month old decided shed crawl over to see what the fuss was about and the 4 yr old was kicking away like mad and managed to get her...so she started crying as well...maddness!

round 3 in a bit!

My mate puts it in milk shake, so if the medicine is banana flavour then she does a banana milkshake.

It might sound gross, but can you get them in pessary form? Then it's just shove it up and leave it to do it's antibiotic magic-ness!

magicbeans

the only thing he has eaten is cucumber

One of the major supermarkets - either Sainsburys or Asda I think - are doing special heart shaped cucumbers for Valentines day. £1 for half a cucumber but if he's poorly and all he fancies is cucumber it might make a special magic treat for him.

EDIT: It's Sainsburys:
    http://files.the-group.net/library/jsainsbury/client_upload/Image/heartcucumbers.jpg
    No GM crops or anything it's just the shape is made by the farmers making a special indentation on the branch as the cucumber grows.

I'm not having a go at all (Im a Mum myself), but could it be more about the fact youre pinching his nose and holding him down.. Or do you have to go through this with everything, like Calpol etc?

If his throat is sore, can you mix it with some pure orange and make some small ice-pop things.. The orange should take the taste away and give some vit c to help him get better?

Nikki999

I'm not having a go at all (Im a Mum myself), but could it be more about … I'm not having a go at all (Im a Mum myself), but could it be more about the fact youre pinching his nose and holding him down.. Or do you have to go through this with everything, like Calpol etc? If his throat is sore, can you mix it with some pure orange and make some small ice-pop things.. The orange should take the taste away and give some vit c to help him get better?

i very much doubt that this method was a first resort!! but the ice pop idea is good!

no advice just wanted to wish him better soon xxx

sickly sweet

It might sound gross, but can you get them in pessary form? Then it's … It might sound gross, but can you get them in pessary form? Then it's just shove it up and leave it to do it's antibiotic magic-ness!

You can get painkillers as a pessary (they used them on our 4 year old in hospital) but you're not allowed to use them at home. Its a shame cos they worked really well and would make our lives easier too!

Erythromycin. Bad memories of that.............my eldest was given a course once and it made him so ill. He was throwing up and crapping everywhere for a week really bad.

Original Poster

Sy my eldest doesnt suit erythro either and DS2 has had an intresting poo this morning...... i only asked for it in the hope he might tk it as he hates amox (aka YELLOW MEDICINE!)

nikki i hate holding him down but we try bribr him with ANYTHING to get him to tk it normally. he loves calpol and tks that no probs....we said we get him any choc, any toy from toys r us, play the wii but hes like nope. husband is gonna go get a toy today and wrap it in shiny paper ....and say do u want this present, (he wont know what it is and will be curious!) and maybe he will say ok and tk it (why dont i think this will work!!)

SS haah yeah i saw that deal....sainsburys is far and cant go with him as he is ill, but defo gotta pick some up for him

pessary form.... that woulkd be better as he couldnt spit that back at us! the french love those sort of things!

All 3 of mine love yellow medicine X) If they ever go to the docs they ask for it. lol

Original Poster

yeah, eldest likes yellow. they both like pink.....and dr. brown bear medicine is the benelyn coughs medicine as its nasty, but peppa had to have it and she didnt like it...but she was brave!

piriton is minty medicine.... DS2 has it for eczema flare ups....DS1 gets jealous he misses out on it...lolz!

its just antibiotics we cant get him to tk!"!

The way i do it with Pennicillin which they all hate is they take a mouthful of drink and then take the medicine to mask the taste.

Poor kids.......we pump all kinds into them. lol

monkey madness

i very much doubt that this method was a first resort!! but the ice pop … i very much doubt that this method was a first resort!! but the ice pop idea is good! :)no advice just wanted to wish him better soon xxx

I never said it was (nor did I think it).

I can remember that yellow medicine actually! And (URGH!) the smell of dettol always reminds me of my Mum putting it in the bottom of a bucket when I felt sick.. That still gives me shivers!!

I think your best bet (if the bribing doesn't work) is just hiding it then.. maybe in a drink, or that ice lolly idea. Probably orange juice or something strong enough to take the taste away, but a drink you can give at other times of the day too (so maybe not orange, or else he'll be going for #2's all day!), then he won't suss whats coming if that drink comes more often than at certain times of the day.
    It is horrible I can imagine, having to hold my son down a little for his jabs was bad enough, let alone doing it 3 times a day..

I just thought too.. Maybe with this toy you're planning on getting, maybe you could make someone up? Like a Santa type character.. Tell him someone very special will leave him a present if hes a big boy with his medicine? We used to 'ring Santa' when he got poorly in the Winter.. my fella would pretend to ring him, tell him our LO was ill and that he'd been a big brave boy etc, then he'd hide him a toy somewhere.. It just brightened up his day and made him smile, somehow it made it more special than if we just gave it him. Now hes older though I doubt it would work!

Good luck btw x

Original Poster

thanks nikki....sadly because of the viral infection in his throat he's not eating much at all and only taking sips of water here and there.

he manages a few slices of cucumber at most..cant really hide it in there....and he wint have enough drink to tk 5mls of his antibiotics.....those are awesome ideas though so will use them for future illnesses as long hes not as poorly hes not eating.

i did the whole, there are baddies insde u and white medicine has goodies in it to fight the baddies but he wasnt intrested....am hopeful that we can convince him with a shiny present tonight!

Still no joy MB? Hope it works with the pressie then (probably cost you a small fortune if he expects one every 4 hours lol). Another ploy of mine was I used to tell DD that she'd have to go back into hospital if she didn't take it, which sometimes worked but not always.

Good luck for later!

Is there someone else who can give it to him - someone like a neighbour or loosely related friend/family member. Sometimes if it's someone vaguely 'strange' to them they behave much better, and just do it, as they don't know how this stranger will respond to their playing up. Just a thought. Hope he starts to feel better, it's so stressful having a poorly one. Just cross fingers the others don't catch it and are ill one after another!

Banned

Tell him if he doesn't take it you will get him a girlfriend

Original Poster

kaks nope no joy...... gonna have to give it 3 times a day as opposed to 4 as i need to 'team up' with hubby...i have to hold him and he puts it in his mouth..he's kinda got a way of putting the syringe in his mouth at an angle which he cant close his mouth....but he still spits it back. he bit his dad really hard yesterday haha....little monkey!
    and we tell him if u dont drink it u r going back to hosp....as he has had febrile convulsions in the
    past...so no lying there!!

FC thats a really good idea, tried to get my dad (ie grandada) to do it to no avail....will stick with the messy way of doing it! thanks for well wishes...if the 7 yr old gets it he will tk the medicine happily and the 1 yr old wont really realise...could mix it in her food if i had to...this one just inst eating so thats why meds are so hard to give him

thanks
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2137
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would30123
      3. Spotify Family Premium share823
      4. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1616

See more discussions