Questions about the Xiaomi Gateway as an Alarm

Found 31st Oct 2017Edited by:"AzNDeals"
Just wanted to know some information before I buy a gateway; currently do not own any smart devices in my home besides an Echo Dot and not looking to purchase any more in the short term (well before Black Friday anyway (lol))

I was doing some general watching of YouTube videos the other night and ended up on videos like this: youtube.com/wat…GVw

I then found out how cheap it was and I've been considering buying one even though I don't really need one; I live on the top floor of a flat where Joe Public cannot enter without first being given access via an intercom. I've lived here for a while now, and generally the area is very safe, I can't remember the last time anything bad has happened but given the price of this, I thought that I might as well just buy it for the sake of it and the sheer customization options that go along with having one.

My question is simply how to disarm it. Is there any way physically to disarm it beyond using my phone? e.g. hiding away a physical switch in a drawer in case my phone is dead; I don't really fancy having the gateaway go off for extended periods of time just because I'm having to wait for my phone to charge/boot up.

tl;dr Would you recommend a Xiaomi Gateway as a basic alarm?
Community Updates
Ask
3 Comments
Sorry can't comment on the Xiaomi one but I have the Samsung SmartThings hub which is quite similar and has a built in alarm SHM they call it.
I doubt you get a actual physical alarm unless it cuts with a siren?
When my shm gets tripped when it's armed I get a notification or a text no siren and I log into the app and clear it otherwise it keeps reminding me.
But I've also bought a smart xiaomi button that works with the hub and I can have that set up that when I press it it disables the alarm but it won't stop the reminders I need to log into the app to do that.
In guessing it's a similar set up with them.
But I would be tempted to buy the SmartThings hub now while it's on offer for £50 at Amazon and you can connect xiaomi devices to it like the contact sensors etc
Original Poster
stefromuk5 h, 20 m ago

Sorry can't comment on the Xiaomi one but I have the Samsung SmartThings …Sorry can't comment on the Xiaomi one but I have the Samsung SmartThings hub which is quite similar and has a built in alarm SHM they call it.I doubt you get a actual physical alarm unless it cuts with a siren? When my shm gets tripped when it's armed I get a notification or a text no siren and I log into the app and clear it otherwise it keeps reminding me.But I've also bought a smart xiaomi button that works with the hub and I can have that set up that when I press it it disables the alarm but it won't stop the reminders I need to log into the app to do that.In guessing it's a similar set up with them.But I would be tempted to buy the SmartThings hub now while it's on offer for £50 at Amazon and you can connect xiaomi devices to it like the contact sensors etc

Great, that's exactly what I wanted to know!
I've never really looked into the Samsung SmartThings area, as I'd always deemed it to be too expensive as a set, but I never realised that I could connect third party accessories with it. I think I've just found the best of both worlds - a native english app and product, but with cheap third-party parts. Winner!
Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.
AzNDeals17 h, 53 m ago

Great, that's exactly what I wanted to know! I've never really …Great, that's exactly what I wanted to know! I've never really looked into the Samsung SmartThings area, as I'd always deemed it to be too expensive as a set, but I never realised that I could connect third party accessories with it. I think I've just found the best of both worlds - a native english app and product, but with cheap third-party parts. Winner! Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

No probs wish I knew that at the start as I bought the starter kit for £139
But saying that I love the presence sensor that comes with it just hook it onto my sons keyring and we get a text when he's home from school.
And the multi sensors aren't bad as they do the temp and vibration also.
And also the power plug that's with it reads power usage so I have it set of the power drops below 50w turn the plug off (sons Xbox and tv )
But they're just overpriced for me to buy a good amount of them
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants