Questions on obtaining full motorbike license?

10 replies
Found 6th Jan 2011
Basically I want to go in for my full motorbike license as I can't afford the car anymore but I'm confused as to what size bike I can ride. I used to have a 125cc motorbike for 2 years under a CBT but that expired in may. To get my full motorbike license would I have to do my CBT again then my theory and then practical? Also after passing can I ride any bigger bikes? I'm 19. I don't really want a 125cc as I do quite abit of motorway driving. Cheers.

10 Comments

direct.gov.uk/en/…867

If you have a full car licence you may ride motorcycles up to 125 cc and 11 kW power output, with L plates (and/or D plates in Wales), on public roads, but you MUST first satisfactorily complete a CBT course if you have not already done so.

Standard motorcycle licence (A): if your test vehicle is between 120 and 125 cc and capable of more than 100 km/h you will be given a standard (A) licence. You will then be restricted to motorcycles of up to 25 kW for two years. After two years you may ride any size machine.

Direct or Accelerated Access enables riders over the age of 21, or those who reach 21 before their two-year restriction ends, to ride larger motorcycles sooner. To obtain a licence to do so they are required to

* have successfully completed a CBT course
* pass a theory test, if they are required to do so
* pass a practical test on a machine with power output of at least 35 kW

To practise, they can ride larger motorcycles, with L plates (and/or D plates in Wales), on public roads, but only when accompanied by an approved instructor on another motorcycle in radio contact.
Edited by: "midjet666" 6th Jan 2011

Original Poster

Ahh that sucks, I'd have to wait 2 years to ride anything bigger than a 125. You can't take a 125 on a motorway...Unless it takes into account that I have had a CBT for 2 years previously?

Pauladin91

Ahh that sucks, I'd have to wait 2 years to ride anything bigger than a … Ahh that sucks, I'd have to wait 2 years to ride anything bigger than a 125. You can't take a 125 on a motorway...Unless it takes into account that I have had a CBT for 2 years previously?

Tbh I think it will take it into account. When was the last time you rode a bike? Maybe you should phone them up and ask if it'd be taken into account?

Original Poster

midjet666

Tbh I think it will take it into account. When was the last time you rode … Tbh I think it will take it into account. When was the last time you rode a bike? Maybe you should phone them up and ask if it'd be taken into account?

The last time was in may, I will enquire. Although i remember someone saying that you have to be 21 to ride anything over 125 but not sure if thats true.

Pauladin91

The last time was in may, I will enquire. Although i remember someone … The last time was in may, I will enquire. Although i remember someone saying that you have to be 21 to ride anything over 125 but not sure if thats true.

It says in my first post about being 21 then you're able to ride something larger than 125 sooner, but it may just be that. I'd deffo ring up and enquire.

This might be useful to you : Get On

ive commuted to coventry via motorway on my zx6r for a month and it wasnt a bad ride but I tried it with my cg125 a few times and theres a world of difference with the cg125 I can only get to like 65mph and sometimes i can hit 70mph i even managed to hit 73mph when it was a small hill lol.

As far as cheapness goes though if your ok riding at like 60-70mph on the motorway then the 125 is the way forward since my cg is amazing with juice I can usually get like 225 miles+ on about £11 worth of petrol.

with all that said I prefer using my zx6r on the motorway best to have the power there to get to where I need to quicker

Original Poster

Mo786

ive commuted to coventry via motorway on my zx6r for a month and it wasnt … ive commuted to coventry via motorway on my zx6r for a month and it wasnt a bad ride but I tried it with my cg125 a few times and theres a world of difference with the cg125 I can only get to like 65mph and sometimes i can hit 70mph i even managed to hit 73mph when it was a small hill lol.As far as cheapness goes though if your ok riding at like 60-70mph on the motorway then the 125 is the way forward since my cg is amazing with juice I can usually get like 225 miles+ on about £11 worth of petrol.with all that said I prefer using my zx6r on the motorway best to have the power there to get to where I need to quicker

Thats what I had mate, the CG125! I loved it. It was unreal on petrol, it ran on nothing! I just couldn't see it doing well on the motorway without revving its **** off, plus whats it like for wind?

Banned

You can ride any bike at 19 but it will have to be restricted to 33bhp. My R6 is restricted and still goes max 90mph and is fast enough off the line.

You will have to do your cbt and theory then do the mod 1 and 2 on a 125. The test is real easy if you can ride a bike comfortably.

kcnw9

You can ride any bike at 19 but it will have to be restricted to 33bhp. … You can ride any bike at 19 but it will have to be restricted to 33bhp. My R6 is restricted and still goes max 90mph and is fast enough off the line.You will have to do your cbt and theory then do the mod 1 and 2 on a 125. The test is real easy if you can ride a bike comfortably.

Is this definately correct? I was wondering this too, I heard about the 33bhp thing before but noone could confirm it. Im also 19, rode my 125 for about 18 months and then I sold it as I changed jobs and rarely needed it, now im looking at getting another one but I really want to go straight to something bigger...
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Leicester sack their manager!710
    2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!564060
    3. The HUKD Wuntu code sharing thread! (Three Mobile)91184
    4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7851474

See more discussions