Quick Alcohol Purchasing Age Question

Found 3rd Dec 2007
Heya,

I was told a few weeks ago by somebody that it is legal for a person under the age of 18 to be 'served' in a bar/pub as long as the entire pub is on hire for an event, and that it is a completely private function. The idea came up again today and I was just wondering if there really is any truth behind it...?

Many thanks, this one's been bugging me for most of the day and Google doesn't seem to say yay or nay. :roll:

1. Misc
  2. Alcohol
17 Comments

as long as no money is exchanging hands IMO

I dont think thats true. Could be -

You can however at 16 purchase half a glass off lager/cider or a glass of wine in a pub if buying a meal [IN SCOTLAND ONLY]

In england you can do the same but your parents must buy it - not you.

As there is no leagal age for drinking alchol just buying it, as long as no money chaged hands you should be fine.

However as the 'hall etc would have to be hired presumably with a payment made it does turn into a bit of a grey area

The legal age to purchase alcohol is 18. People aged 16 and 17, with the licensee's permission, may consume wine, beer or cider with a table meal in specific areas of the premises, providing they're with an adult and the adult orders it (England & Wales only, Scotland no adult required to be present). The legal age for the purchase of liqueur chocolates is 16. The legal age for drinking in one's home is 5 provided parental consent is given. Children under 5 must not be given alcohol unless under medical supervision in an emergency.It is illegal to sell alcohol to someone who already appears drunk. You may not buy alcohol for a drunk person on licensed premises. All off-sales are advised to ask for photographic ID if the person looks under 21.

thank god for cut & paste!!!!

It is illegal to sell alcohol to someone who already appears drunk. You … It is illegal to sell alcohol to someone who already appears drunk. You may not buy alcohol for a drunk person on licensed premises

And that bit there makes the law and ass ! I just wish Licensees were taken to task on it, perhaps we could venture out on a Friday / Saturday night then.

(Rant over)

I've never been asked for I.D :x

jennybubbles

waiting for that fateful day i get asked for my bus pass!!!!:-(

bitseylango

waiting for that fateful day i get asked for my bus pass!!!!:-(

Guess I should be glad I havn't been asked for that yet :lol:

thankful for small mercies....thats me!!

I dont think any age enforcement will stop kids drinking

Im 18 and i dont drink because tbh it tastes like pee ( its a phrase)
But then they do call it ****

If an underage person wants to drink they go to parties simple - i know loads of people who are like 14 15 who get drunk all the time and i pity them and throw them a bone

Id rather have a cup of hot chocolate (god i sound old , "mmm these werthers are nice")

A situation that came up with me a few years ago, was duty manager of a superstore and a member of staff had seen some teenagers picking up bottles of alcohol. We waited until they went to the tills so that we could ask for I.D. but their parents were there and went to buy the alcohol for them. I refused to serve them based on the fact that I believed it was being bought for minor (illegal), however they had a very good point which was that it was for a private party so it was ok for them to drink it. I still refused based on the fact that it is illegal to sell alcohol if you believe it is being purchased for minors. What would you have done?

Benjimoron

A situation that came up with me a few years ago, was duty manager of a … A situation that came up with me a few years ago, was duty manager of a superstore and a member of staff had seen some teenagers picking up bottles of alcohol. We waited until they went to the tills so that we could ask for I.D. but their parents were there and went to buy the alcohol for them. I refused to serve them based on the fact that I believed it was being bought for minor (illegal), however they had a very good point which was that it was for a private party so it was ok for them to drink it. I still refused based on the fact that it is illegal to sell alcohol if you believe it is being purchased for minors. What would you have done?

I'd have done the same thing.

Fact is, you're right, it is illegal, and it's a crime for which you personally are held responsible for, not just the shop. This means that to sell the adults alcohol you'd be risking a hefty fine and the loss of your job, which just isn't worth the risk.

When I worked in a holiday park and had a nasty boss and supervisor, they informed me that these people were buying the drink for their kids. They spent £50 on bottles of Vodka and the like, then as soon as they left the store and walked down the road my boss went with a security guard and caught the parents handing kids whole bottles of vodka each.

They confiscated them and put them back on the shelves and my boss gloated how they got free money

Anyway I dont drink often unless I am with friends, I can go for months without drinking at all then one night just feel in the mood, then might go out weekly for a few weeks then not again for months.

I only usually get the urge to drink when I cant i.e work or class next day and have to be up at 8am.

I would drink more but its expensive plus you get a bad hangover the next day, and knowing me I am shy in person but I chat to everyone and flirt with every woman I meet on a night out, then get embarressed when I see friends next day.

But I would smoke weed but not all the time as you dont get hangovers. Expensive though.

Do whatever you want.........but the key word is moderation

Although that word will not be cropping up on Saturday night in Liverpool !!!!!!!

the laws changed in 2003 it now states:

The Licensing Act 2003 maintains the position of making it illegal to sell alcohol to a person under 18 years of age and removes the previous exemptions.
This means it is an offence to buy alcohol for someone under 18yrs with the monthly shopping and then bring it home for their later consumption. If it is spontaneously decided to share a glass of wine from a bottle with a person under 18 then the alcohol was not purchased with the intention at the time of sale and no offence is committed. Research shows that teaching young people to drink responsibly doesn't reduce the risk of problematic drinking later in life. In fact current research shows that we may be teaching them how to binge drink.
It is also an offence for a person under 18 years to consume alcohol on licensed premises.
It is also an offence to buy alcohol and give it to someone under 18yrs - except that a person may buy beer, cider or wine for someone over 16years and under 18yrs to go with a table meal and that they are accompanying that person.
It is also an offence to send a child to obtain alcohol. E.g. a person over 18yrs orders and pays for alcohol over the phone and then they send the child to collect it.
It is a defence to sell if the person had no idea they were under 18 and no cause to have such a belief, or that they satisfied themselves that they were over 18 - For this reason most premises adopt a challenge 21 policy and demand to see only a passport, photo driving licence or PASS accredited card as proof of age. Nothing else should be accepted.
It remains an offence to provide alcohol to a child under 7yrs

Banned

jennybubbles

I was ID'd at a superstore recently I'm 24, was a little shocked as the girl had just waved through two girls who looked about 14-16 buying alcopops! :?

lol dont take offence wait till your 44 and remember it, will make you feel heaps better
Post a comment
@
    Text