Groups

Quick currency exchange question

Hi Gang
    It's a stupid question but I'm having trouble with it

I have a balance in my PayPal account in USD ( US dollars). When is the best time to ask PayPal to convert to gbp

Is it when the dollar is weak such as now or wait for it to strengthen? I'm not sure what will get me more pounds when converted

Hope that made sense

Thanks in advance

13 Comments

Weak dollar will get you more pounds obviously.

Paypal gives you awful rates anyway. Just leave it in dollars.

p_ist_a

Weak dollar will get you more pounds obviously.

As OP is converting dollars to pounds then strong dollar will give you more pounds not weak.

wait for the dollar to strengthen

Yes, you have to wait for USD to strengthen, your best time to convert was before the high court decision on Brexit

Original Poster

Great. Thanks guys that clears it ups. I think I'll listen to the coolguy as PayPal do have rubbish rates

I've only got a usd balance and i use PayPal regularly. It naturally takes the payments from the usd balance

Am I losing out (slightly) every time I make a purchase and PayPal work out how many dollars to deduct?

sydney871

As OP is converting dollars to pounds then strong dollar will give you … As OP is converting dollars to pounds then strong dollar will give you more pounds not weak.

I'm sure he meant that but the terminology may have thrown him.

Pops

Can you transfer it to a cash card in Dollars that will convert it to GBP free of charge like-

news.iceplc.com/_ac…940.

bandit17

Yes, you have to wait for USD to strengthen, your best time to convert … Yes, you have to wait for USD to strengthen, your best time to convert was before the high court decision on Brexit

Your totally wrong.
    if he had $100 dollars to sell on the 23rd june it would have been worth £67.57.
    Today that $100 converting to £ would get £80.50
    I used bank rates

Original Poster

This is interesting. The first answers were logical and most likely correct
    However, I've read up on it and it says the pound is the weakest it's been against the dollar for 31 years

Surely if I have dollars, I should do it when the pound is weakest against the dollar i.e. Now according to google

Am I making a mountain out a molehill? The PayPal issue balance is only $700

Basically, focus on the maths of it. If the pound is worth more to the dollar today than it was yesterday then you can get more pounds for your dollar on exchange now. When you use language such as a currency being stronger/weaker than the other then it is a subjective expression when comparing to a range of currencies.

The people above are all saying the same thing (their maths is correct) but have been caught out in language.

Pops
    Edited by: "popolou" 10th Nov 2016

$700 at 1.23 is £560 at 1.33 its £526 since its around 1.23 at the moment now has never been a better time to exchange it. A few years back we got $2 to the pound, everything over there was dirt cheap, not any more.
    Edited by: "eslick" 10th Nov 2016

Original Poster

Right got it finally
    Thanks all much appreciated.
    I'll exchange it now thanks to Donald trump
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3955
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66