Groups

Quick iphone question

I was thinking of buying an iphone contract, but thought of this ...

can i buy an Pay as you go iphone from o2 for £440 then buy a sim only contract from them and use it in the iphone. It works out cheaper and can have a 12 montract if i like and i ccan get more minutes and texts. Will this work ? Thanks

7 Comments

hi mike, i bought an payg iphone, then got the quidco £100 cash back deal with a sim only online deal and pay £19.57 for 400 mins and unlimited txts and internet, phoned up o2 afterwards and they configured my uiphone for the internet

Original Poster

dazzerb;6928461

hi mike, i bought an payg iphone, then got the quidco £100 cash back deal … hi mike, i bought an payg iphone, then got the quidco £100 cash back deal with a sim only online deal and pay £19.57 for 400 mins and unlimited txts and internet, phoned up o2 afterwards and they configured my uiphone for the internet

Cheers for that ! so they dont mind you doing that

I'm actually considering doing this and have a couple more questions:

When you buy an iphone from apple or o2, don't you also get a PAYG Sim card which has free web and wifi bolt ons?

Because once you get the simplicity deal, you get 1 bolt on - and most ppl would chose web... so can you basically carry around your other PAYG sim card in case you need wifi?

Also I would like to know how o2 feels about all of this quidco stuff... are they happy for you to go for this deal to use specifically for the iphone?

Thanks!

Frukoz;6928608

I'm actually considering doing this and have a couple more questions:When … I'm actually considering doing this and have a couple more questions:When you buy an iphone from apple or o2, don't you also get a PAYG Sim card which has free web and wifi bolt ons?Because once you get the simplicity deal, you get 1 bolt on - and most ppl would chose web... so can you basically carry around your other PAYG sim card in case you need wifi?Also I would like to know how o2 feels about all of this quidco stuff... are they happy for you to go for this deal to use specifically for the iphone?Thanks!

yes will work fine may not be cheaper this way though

Yeah I did this - works out cheaper over the 18months if you went on the contract

Its just the initial £400 you have to fork out

If I remember (and calculated) correctly, a £35 monthly contract for 24months plus the 90 quid or whatever that you need to pay up front comes out as £1 cheaper than if you were to buy the phone and take out the 2x12 month simplicity deals.
    So basically over 2 years, you can save at least £100 through cashback and with a bit of luck £100 again after 12 months. Then there is the cashback for the apple shop: 4% = 17.60

So you could save up to £216.60 over the course of 2 years.

...oh and you get more texts and minutes!

There was quite a long thread on this on the money saving expert site a while ago but it may be out of date now.

I have just done this too , 2 months ago, it's pretty simple and I had no problems . Your iPhone will work out of the box with the simplicity sim except for Internet access. Only two settings need to be changed for your iPhone to work with a simplicity sim , and this info is freely available on net.

A couple of points not mentioned so far......

Try and buy a payg iPhone from carphone warehouse or o2 and they will tell you that a payg iPhone will only work with payg sims . This is a lie , they will work with any 3g sim .

Also, buy your payg iPhone. From the above and they will charge you a 'mandatory top up' of at least ten quid. You can call o2 customer services and have this mandatory top up transferred to your simplicity contract , sometimes they get stroppy about it . If they do this it will cancel that payg sim and you will not be able to use it for wifi access.

Also , take good care of your iPhone , screen protectors and cases are A rip off in the shops but online you should get both for less than a fiver all in . Keep your iPhone in good nick and it'll still be worth 250 this time next year and you can start again with
    an iPhone 4gs+ or whatever : )
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767509
      2. GIVEAWAY - Clear out of duplicate CD Keys from Humble Bundle I have yet to …55
      3. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691428
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553814

See more discussions