Quick MOT question

Found 16th May 2012
My car is due MOT next week, but the power steering went around 8 months ago. The cost to get fixed has put me off (approx 400 for a new pump) as the car isnt really worth it. If it can go through the MOT and last another 6 months then bonus.

For info car is Skoda Fabia 1.9SDI

Any ideas if it will require a fix to pass the MOT?

Thanks
Greig

1. Misc
  2. Mot
  3. Skoda
25 Comments

The steering will be checked so I would presume if it doesn't work it will fail.

lol

motester.co.uk/

Steering: Inside the car MOT checksSteering wheel and steering column: … Steering: Inside the car MOT checksSteering wheel and steering column: steering wheel is in acceptable condition steering wheel is securely attached to the steering shaft upper bearings of the steering column are inspected for wear Steering shaft is checked for excessive end float The clamping bolts are all checked for security split pins and locking nuts are also checked. 'free play' in the steering is checked* All flexible couplings and universal joints are checked.*Free play allowed depends on type of steering: 75mm for non-rack and pinion, 13mm for rack and pinion steering. Where there are several joints between the steering wheel and the rack, up to 48mm on a 380mm diameter wheel may be accepted.Reasons for failure: Steering wheel weakened by modification, cracks, fractures, in a condition that hampers proper control or likely to injure the driver’s hands.Note: Cracks or incompleteness of the covering skin of a steering wheel or hub, are not a reason for rejection. a) an adjustable steering column will not lock in a fixed position b) movement between the shaft and steering wheel c) excessive radial movement (play) at the top of the steering column between the column and the shaft indicating a badly worn top bearing. Note: Some vehicles have flexible top bearings for the steering column. With these more than average movement is acceptable. d. insecurity at the steering column top mounting bracket. Excessive steering shaft end float. Insecurity, excessive play or deterioration of a flexible coupling or universal joint. A retaining or locking device missing or insecure.Under bonnet checksThis varies vehicle to vehicle; some of these items cannot be observed from under the bonnet on some makes and models. security of the steering rack or steering box and its mountings play in steering joints Inspection of any other swivel joints which form part of the vehicles' steering system which can be readily inspected from under the bonnet.Under vehicle checks: All the steering joints are inspected by the Tester whilst the steering is loaded by turning the steering wheel from side to side, or by the use of approved wheel play detectors Power steering systems are checked with the engine running The security of attachment of the steering rack or steering box is checked both with respect to the tightness of nuts and bolts, and structural cracking or corrosion of the vehicle chassis where it is attached Whilst the vehicle stands on special swivel plates the wheels are turned from lock to lock and checked for smoothness of operation and to ensure that the wheels and tyres do not foul either the structure of the vehicle or any brake pipes or hoses with the wheels jacked the wheel bearings are checked steering rack gaiters and front outer constant velocity joint boots are examined metal and/or rubber bushes are checked as are split pins, locking nuts and other locking or retaining devices which relate to steering components. On some cars there will be rear wheel steering which is checked from beneath the car.

What an odd question.

Of course it should fail if they find it

Although you can get an mot on cars without power steering so I don't know really :-)
Edited by: "olympians" 16th May 2012

My neighbour had a similar problem earlier this year - new pump was hundreds, plus getting it fitted meant the vehicle was best to scrap. Luckily they got a local mobile mechanic, who sourced one from a scrappy £25 and fitted it in under an hour, and charged £25 labour.

You will need it fixed for the MOT. Is it not a nightmare to drive without it anyway?

Distract them and put something funny on your dashboard you never know they may not get to finish testing your car altogether. Hang on show them this thread lol

If power steering is optional fitment on the vehicle but has been disconnected in such a way that there is no adverse effect on the steering, that is not a Reason for Rejection.

But if its not an option then: Power steering malfunctioning or inoperative or evidence that power assistance has been removed or disconnected when it is known that power steering is standard on the vehicle will be a reason for rejection.

Full manual here motuk.co.uk/man…htm

http://i47.tinypic.com/2dker0w.jpg

Buy a second hand pump from scrap dealer and take it to a local mechanic, who as mentioned above should be able to fit it in less than 2 hours.

My Brother in law did mine for free, part cost me £35 delivered from online scrappy.

No, it should fail & your broken ass car should be taken off the road & your licence revoked for being one of those drivers.

buy a push bike

Original Poster

forgot id posted. cheers for the comments.

no its not a nightmare to drive as my arms are now like popeye's. havent really got the time to source from a scrappy.

looks like a possible fail then.

lanc_red

forgot id posted. cheers for the comments.no its not a nightmare to drive … forgot id posted. cheers for the comments.no its not a nightmare to drive as my arms are now like popeye's. havent really got the time to source from a scrappy. looks like a possible fail then.

You can do it online, just google it, parts come next day in most cases. Takes 15 mins.

Not just a fail - but been illegal to drive for the last 8 months.

Original Poster

Milkfloat

Not just a fail - but been illegal to drive for the last 8 months.

really? i have a valid MOT certificate from last year......

Original Poster

ZedEx

You can do it online, just google it, parts come next day in most cases. … You can do it online, just google it, parts come next day in most cases. Takes 15 mins.

whats the site mate?

lanc_red

That doesn't mean it's legal to drive, Just a requirement.

I'm not sure if he is correct though.

Valid mot from last test date doesn't mean that any time upto the next test its "road legal"
Edited by: "Nailez" 16th May 2012

Original Poster

yeh understand the MOT valid thing, it wasnt the point i was really getting at.

as i understand it, if VOSA or the Police stopped me & checked my car they could deem my car unroadworthy and impound. either way i'll look at a fix or buy or new motor.

lanc_red

whats the site mate?

I would try Gumtree first, see if there is a local mechanic willing to fix it at your house, give him a call and see if he would source a secondhand part too. It will not take you long to do and will save you a fortune if he does.

Banned

lanc_red

still illegal and your insurance is invalid as well

Why is it a fail?

Banned

Shengis

Why is it a fail?

read post #7 oO

I can't see why it'll fail myself. Needs fixing though.

you could call a garage and ask them this question?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants