Groups

quick question

You techy lot are always helpful in giving answers to this sort of thing.

I've been connecting a monitor to my laptop and having the same thing on both screens.

Somehow, I've knocked the setting off and now I've just got an extension of the desktop, so I can drag a window onto the monitor.

Any ideas how I get it back to the way it was - i.e. same thing on each screen?

rep for help given

cheers dudes.

23 Comments

if i'm correct you can buy a KVM switch?....

Press & hold Function(fn) key and press F5 key. then choose the setting you want. I think it's the one with two screens you need.
    Hope this answers your query.

Original Poster

taurus_the_bull;5750224

if i'm correct you can buy a KVM switch?....

Dunno - worked without one before.

simples,
    right click your desktop;
    got to properties;
    got to settings tab;
    Click on the 2 square;
    then untick the box which says extend my desktop

Original Poster

prassanchitt;5750226

Press & hold Function(fn) key and press F5 key. then choose the setting … Press & hold Function(fn) key and press F5 key. then choose the setting you want. I think it's the one with two screens you need.Hope this answers your query.

Thanks - trying this but nothing happening.

when i plugged a screen into my daughters lappy ( after i broke the screen ) im sure it asked me if i wanted to copy the lappys screen so try unplugging the monitor and then pluggin in again.

Original Poster

bfjem;5750238

simples, right click your desktop;got to properties;got to settings … simples, right click your desktop;got to properties;got to settings tab;Click on the 2 square;then untick the box which says extend my desktop

Right clicking on desktop doesn't give me a properties option. says graphics properties but then different from above afterwards.

I'm using vista btw if that helps.

control panel ... display then settings ?

For vista it's right click desktop, personalise, then display settings

untick extend the desktop

Sorry I am an XP follower; but as above essentially same thing but through the control panel the display settings; then look for something about extending desktop

Original Poster

ChipSticks;5750343

For vista it's right click desktop, personalise, then display … For vista it's right click desktop, personalise, then display settingsuntick extend the desktop

Yeah tnaks chips - this is what I thought. When I do it, the monitor just says no signal and turns itself off. Been working fine up until earlier.

karaokecolin;5750402

Yeah tnaks chips - this is what I thought. When I do it, the monitor just … Yeah tnaks chips - this is what I thought. When I do it, the monitor just says no signal and turns itself off. Been working fine up until earlier.

oh charming lol

to resolve that I would untick the extend button unplug the monitor reset the lap top then when its rebooted re-connect

Original Poster

bfjem;5750356

Sorry I am an XP follower; but as above essentially same thing but … Sorry I am an XP follower; but as above essentially same thing but through the control panel the display settings; then look for something about extending desktop

Thanks - this just extends the desktop area which allows me to drag a window onto the monitor display. I want both displays to be the same if you know what i mean.

bfjem;5750238

simples, right click your desktop;got to properties;got to settings … simples, right click your desktop;got to properties;got to settings tab;Click on the 2 square;then untick the box which says extend my desktop

When you rmb on the desktop what menu options do you get ?

Original Poster

choc1969;5750485

When you rmb on the desktop what menu options do you get ?

Hi Choc.

I get:

View - Then options for the desktoop icons
    Sort by - then options to sort the icons.
    Refresh
    Graphics properties
    Graphics options

For the other posters, untickin the extend desktop option doesn't work, even after re-booting. It just results in a 'no signal' on the external monitor.

Does it have these similar settings ?

http://images.ask-leo.com/display_properties_multiple_monitors.png

Easy.....usually Fn + (F# Key that has a square symbol on it) ie. Fn+F2 - press repeatedly to cycle through... both screens on then one on and the other off etc.

Original Poster

No Choc.

Dunno how i get a pic of mine up but the 1 & 2 screens are opp. way round.
    screen 1 is at 1280x800 pixels, screen 2 is at 800x600.

Also the tab-down bit on yours where it syas viewsonic etc. is different.

Original Poster

thedarkjedi;5750626

Easy.....usually Fn + (F# Key that has a square symbol on it) ie. Fn+F2 - … Easy.....usually Fn + (F# Key that has a square symbol on it) ie. Fn+F2 - press repeatedly to cycle through... both screens on then one on and the other off etc.

Yeah its F8 on mine - just turns the monitor off.

Original Poster

Naffing me off now. I'll just keep fidddling with it.

Thanks for your help everyone. Keep suggestions coming & I'll keep checking them out.

karaokecolin;5750643

No Choc.Dunno how i get a pic of mine up but the 1 & 2 screens are opp. … No Choc.Dunno how i get a pic of mine up but the 1 & 2 screens are opp. way round.screen 1 is at 1280x800 pixels, screen 2 is at 800x600.Also the tab-down bit on yours where it syas viewsonic etc. is different.

You have to hightlight 2 and click the settings

if graphic options opens a menu then you should be able to click on:
    graphic options>output to>dual display clone>select the 2 monitors.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927344
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767218
      3. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1012
      4. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917

See more discussions