Groups

quick question

can 1 person hold 2 car insurance policies on 2 different cars?

13 Comments

Yeah, they could hold one policy in each hand, park the cars close together and stand with a foot on each car.

(Yes.)

yes, a lot of people have 2 (or more) cars.

Original Poster

thank so my oh could be the policy holder on a fiesta and also on a focus and i could be a named driver on the focus. only checking as it £300 cheaper

Yes, but you may only use your NCD on one policy.
    Edited by: "FrootCake" 10th Jan 2011

browny24

thank so my oh could be the policy holder on a fiesta and also on a focus … thank so my oh could be the policy holder on a fiesta and also on a focus and i could be a named driver on the focus. only checking as it £300 cheaper

Unless he is the main driver of the other car its fraud and could render the insurance void.

harlzter

Unless he is the main driver of the other car its fraud and could render … Unless he is the main driver of the other car its fraud and could render the insurance void.

Correct the offence is called "Fronting" and it is actually a criminal offence and the person driving the car "you" could be prosecuted for driving with no insurance

Fronting - the practice of an experienced motorist fraudulently insuring … Fronting - the practice of an experienced motorist fraudulently insuring a vehicle that a younger person will drive - is actually no laughing matter. If you're caught, your insurance policy is likely to be deemed invalid and any claim you make could be rejected. Young people found to be fronting may be prosecuted for driving without insurance. Conviction for this offence can result in a hefty fine or six penalty points being added to the driver's licence - which, in the case of a newly-passed individual, would effectively mean an automatic ban. The older person involved in any case of fronting is also likely to face punishment. He or she could be prosecuted for insurance fraud and may even be sent to prison if found guilty.

Edited by: "karenhornby" 10th Jan 2011

Original Poster

the situation is my oh owns and uses the fietsa everyday i am a named driver on her insurance. i want to buy a focus but the insurance is sky high. it works out £300 cheaper if she is the main policy holder and have myself as a named driver, so her having 2 polices and me the named driver on both. is this allowed as iam abit confused she will also use the focus from time to time. thanks

browny24

the situation is my oh owns and uses the fietsa everyday i am a named … the situation is my oh owns and uses the fietsa everyday i am a named driver on her insurance. i want to buy a focus but the insurance is sky high. it works out £300 cheaper if she is the main policy holder and have myself as a named driver, so her having 2 polices and me the named driver on both. is this allowed as iam abit confused she will also use the focus from time to time. thanks

No it is fronting and illegal, if she is the policy holder she has to be the main driver.

browny24

the situation is my oh owns and uses the fietsa everyday i am a named … the situation is my oh owns and uses the fietsa everyday i am a named driver on her insurance. i want to buy a focus but the insurance is sky high. it works out £300 cheaper if she is the main policy holder and have myself as a named driver, so her having 2 polices and me the named driver on both. is this allowed as iam abit confused she will also use the focus from time to time. thanks

As long as you are listed as the MAIN driver for the Focus, it'll be OK. She can be the policy holder for both, and even the legal owner for both, but if you are the main driver you need to be down as the main driver, otherwise you are fronting (using the car more than the main driver). You may find the quotes you have received will alter when you change the driver type from named to main. Do not use the same NCD twice though, that's another naughty! You can be the MAIN driver, and not the policy holder.
    Edited by: "FrootCake" 10th Jan 2011

Original Poster

Thanks for the reply everyone

what if they both use the cars about the same amount of time each?

yes but only no claims only used on one car

bargainhunter2009

yes but only no claims only used on one car

Some give it to you on both now.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Free JackpotJoy Plate56
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717