Quick question about a double glazed 'obscure' window

Found 12th Dec 2012
A number of obscured double glazed windows installed like in the bathroom etc. One had to be 'replaced' as it was a plain glass instead of obscured.

A different glazier came out (from same firm) and replaced it- but that piece has been put in differently from the rest of the windows - the printed glass side is on the INSIDE of the house, whereas the previous guy put the printed side to the OUTSIDE of the house?!

The embossed surface is on the inside of the cavity (so there is just plain glass that needs to be cleaned)

BUT

I would like to know how most privacy can be obtained - with the printed glass to the inside of the house or the outside? It might be my dodgy eyes, but it seems to be its much harder to peek in when the obscure glass side is to the inside of the house.

How should it be? what's the correct way?
Community Updates
MiscWindows
17 Comments
if the glass is a replacement for an old house, the chances are they do not have K glass or equivalent. Therefore it doesn't really mater which side the clear glass is on. Usually though, the clear in inside of the house and the pattern on the outside with the embossed in the cavity.
Banned
I sell and install double glazing and the obscure normally goes on the outside because the clear piece is coated with the low 'e' to help with insulation , you cannot coat obscure glass with low e coating , the fitter must be thick because Pilks or Saint G put a sticker on the clear side saying 'install this side to interior '

Edited by: "goldmax" 12th Dec 2012
Banned
just turn it round yourself, use a palette knife to take beads out , easy
goldmax

I sell and install double glazing and the obscure normally goes on the … I sell and install double glazing and the obscure normally goes on the outside because the clear piece is coated with the low 'e' to help with insulation , you cannot coat obscure glass with low e coating , the fitter must be thick because Pilks or Saint G put a sticker on the clear side saying 'install this side to interior '

but thats only IF they have a "K" glass or low "E" value glass. usually for older double glazing as you dont need a FENSA cert they install a float glass.
Banned
Rupz

but thats only IF they have a "K" glass or low "E" value glass. usually … but thats only IF they have a "K" glass or low "E" value glass. usually for older double glazing as you dont need a FENSA cert they install a float glass.

Either way the fitter should have matched the other obscure units in the house , fool proof method to please customer and regs
Original Poster
aah, so the general consensus is that the obscure glass pane sits on the outside.. Is it worth mentioning that the 'back' of the patterned glass is 'plain' so its smooth on the outside- could THIS smooth surface have been coated?
this is a picture of the sticker that was salvagedhttp://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/sammysammysamsam/Alex%20Bike/glass.jpg
The actual owner came and fixed the last window and said 'this is how we always do it- (obscure on the inside) whereas his employee fitter had obscure to the outside! I prefer obscure inside cos it seems more blurry when trying to look into the house- but if it means compromising on insulation properties then i'd rather he turn-around the single window, 'stead of all the others.

Does that make sense?
Edited by: "samwants2save" 13th Dec 2012
Banned
You have two sheets of glass in a dgu , for bathrooms etc one is obscure glass,one is clear glass, manufacturers always coat the clear sheet with the 'K' or ''low e ' ,this should face the room for max benefit ,end of story
If it is a rented property, don't worry about.
Original Poster
@goldmax, ain't gonna argue with a pro! Point taken. I'm gonna ask him back to change the single window around. Think he thought he'd gotten away with pulling a fast one by saying 'that's how we always do it!'.. Well he did get away with, but not for long ey
Banned
samwants2save

@goldmax, ain't gonna argue with a pro! Point taken. I'm gonna ask him … @goldmax, ain't gonna argue with a pro! Point taken. I'm gonna ask him back to change the single window around. Think he thought he'd gotten away with pulling a fast one by saying 'that's how we always do it!'.. Well he did get away with, but not for long ey

just tell him you think it sticks out like a sore thumb because it doesn't match the others, imagine relying on some firms to glaze your whole house , you cannot tell if clear dgu's are in correct by just looking at them but we do have an electronic tool which can check , we get periodic checks from Certass or Fensa for this , even if it is replacement windows
Edited by: "goldmax" 13th Dec 2012
samwants2save

@goldmax, ain't gonna argue with a pro! Point taken. I'm gonna ask him … @goldmax, ain't gonna argue with a pro! Point taken. I'm gonna ask him back to change the single window around. Think he thought he'd gotten away with pulling a fast one by saying 'that's how we always do it!'.. Well he did get away with, but not for long ey

It is the Landlords property, as long as he/she is happy with the window and it does not breach any laws, then there really isn't a problem. The Landlord may well charge you for the cost of this change.
Banned
Inactive

It is the Landlords property, as long as he/she is happy with the window … It is the Landlords property, as long as he/she is happy with the window and it does not breach any laws, then there really isn't a problem. The Landlord may well charge you for the cost of this change.

In that case I suggest OP tells landlord she is experiencing lots of condensation in said bathroom and hint that the glass is fitted different to the other units , tell him you are noticing black spores growing and ventilation doesn't seem to help , landlord will soon get onto it X)
goldmax

In that case I suggest OP tells landlord she is experiencing lots of … In that case I suggest OP tells landlord she is experiencing lots of condensation in said bathroom and hint that the glass is fitted different to the other units , tell him you are noticing black spores growing and ventilation doesn't seem to help , landlord will soon get onto it X)

That is just the kind of dishonesty that gives double glazing salesmen a bad name. No wonder nobody seems to trust them.:(
Banned
Inactive

That is just the kind of dishonesty that gives double glazing salesmen a … That is just the kind of dishonesty that gives double glazing salesmen a bad name. No wonder nobody seems to trust them.:(

don't be pathetic, I get called back if I do something which the customer is unhappy with , you say they will charge , they are the ones who give us a bad name , its in the wrong way round , the fitter cannot deny this fact , effing 'bad name ' , my ass , GROW UP
Edited by: "goldmax" 14th Dec 2012
I had one window fitted obscure outside and one inside, the one with it inside has condensation problems but not the other. I think I will have to change it as the glaziers are no longer in business,
gebex

I had one window fitted obscure outside and one inside, the one with it … I had one window fitted obscure outside and one inside, the one with it inside has condensation problems but not the other. I think I will have to change it as the glaziers are no longer in business,

Thank you for your information.

What are you having for tea?
Banned
gebex

glaziers are no longer in business,

They are they are making a right mess of United.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants