Quick question about paint/gloss if anybody can help?

10 replies
Found 4th May 2010
Is it just oil based paint/gloss that yellows due to lack of daylight?
I posted a few months ago about my white gloss in the hallway yellowing very quickly, since then I've found out it is because it gets no daylight, or very little. So despite sanding them down & repainting they are yellow again! (have been using oil based paint)
Going to use a water based paint this time, will that still yellow? Also do I need to strip the other stuff off completely or just rub it down?
Thanks

1. Misc
  2. Paint
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Paint
10 Comments

Original Poster

And looking online at paint am I right in thinking that the quick drying gloss is water based?

Iv'e never had white gloss go yellow, even when it's been 5-10 years old.

Original Poster

greg_68;8522530

Iv'e never had white gloss go yellow, even when it's been 5-10 years old.

I hadn't until I moved here a yr and a half ago. The hallway is very dark with no windows & from googling apparently lack of sunlight causes oil based gloss to yellow over time :thinking:

Just paint it yellow to start with :thumbsup:

Ah. I've often wondered why the white gloss work on the window sill goes yellow under my lamp-stand. Now I know! Thanks!

I just had some painting done and the decorator said gloss was not the done thing as much nowadays, he told us to have satin on the doors and skirtings.

Original Poster

Penny Saver;8522675

Ah. I've often wondered why the white gloss work on the window sill goes … Ah. I've often wondered why the white gloss work on the window sill goes yellow under my lamp-stand. Now I know! Thanks!

Now you know, mystery solved :thumbsup:
scoff;8522933

I just had some painting done and the decorator said gloss was not the … I just had some painting done and the decorator said gloss was not the done thing as much nowadays, he told us to have satin on the doors and skirtings.

I dont very much like gloss, would like to varnish it but would take too long atm & would make the hall even darker. I've got some vinyl silk thats waterbased, I may give that a try :thumbsup:

I noticed this yellowing on my bathroom door the other day while hubby was painting it....hadn't noticed it as such b4 but really notices when it's been half painted lol

Original Poster

hannah19790;8523018

I noticed this yellowing on my bathroom door the other day while hubby … I noticed this yellowing on my bathroom door the other day while hubby was painting it....hadn't noticed it as such b4 but really notices when it's been half painted lol

I know it looks awful once you notice it & it really bugs me. Have repainted about half a dozen times in a yr and a half.

louiseb84;8523030

I know it looks awful once you notice it & it really bugs me. Have … I know it looks awful once you notice it & it really bugs me. Have repainted about half a dozen times in a yr and a half.

You could get that plastic skirting. I've got it in the living room, and it's great. No fuss, no painting EVER! Just wipe with a cloth, and it's new again!!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Wow apple you really are bad67
    2. I thought the 'Dementia tax' had gone for good,apparently not.920
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769457
    4. The HUKD Wuntu code sharing thread! (Three Mobile)98197

See more discussions