Expired

quick question - Are Gollies banned from being sold?

Found 16th Dec 2011
on my little site someone is selling 2 gollies and people are crying about them being racist and banned therefore not allowed to be sold is this true?
Community Updates
Misc
40 Comments
Banned
It is not illegal to sell them. You can buy them on Amazon, etc.
What!? Political correctness gone mad if it is true! oO
Original Poster
jellybaby22

Don't think it's the law...but most places don't sell them anymore...

just dont wanna remove it incase people are just incorrectly informed..... my little girl loves playing with my MIL gollies when we go round there :\
theyre not illegal afaik...just bad taste
They use to be on the jam when i was a kid and i always thought they were horrible..
Banned
what are gollies?
2sly

what are gollies?

http://bigyellowtaxi.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/golliwog.jpg
Original Poster
richto

It is not illegal to sell them. You can buy them on Amazon, etc.

cool thanks, just people being divs
Banned
plumberman01

theyre not illegal afaik...just bad tasteThey use to be on the jam when i … theyre not illegal afaik...just bad tasteThey use to be on the jam when i was a kid and i always thought they were horrible..

right thuuurre
ilovepink

cool thanks, just people being divs

no just bad taste! seriously!
The only people who think Gollies are offensive are people who think other people might think them offensive.
There was one for sale in a charity shop window near where I work a couple of months ago.

It was gone by the time the EDL march happened.
jellybaby22

Everything could be considered offensive these days, barbie ...she's an … Everything could be considered offensive these days, barbie ...she's an unrealistic example of what a woman looks like according to one mum at my daughters school...she actually finds barbie offensive?.. Lol

Thats because shes a fat ginger scottish trout.
Banned
nah, be honest people, they are kinda bad taste, they played on a stereotype of big lips, wirey haired buffoons. i agree with plumberman
Banned
Wouldn't put one up in my window...
jellybaby22

Though you were describing me there X)Your actually not wrong...she's … Though you were describing me there X)Your actually not wrong...she's built like action man too X) proper muscly woman..she scares me slightly

I wouldnt say that about you....

you're a brunette X):p
My nan bought my daughter one a while ago, but for some reason she freaked out when she saw it and it lives at nanna's in a drawer! lol
Banned
Don't see what the big fuss is. Although they look a bit scary!
Original Poster
thanks all, seems members are now having a debate about it :\
Banned
ilovepink

thanks all, seems members are now having a debate about it :\

it is distasteful though ilovepink imho
good we debate it though
Slave trade is alive and kicking still but its not being done by whites on blacks so its all ok.... and before some do-gooder says it isnt ask some of the people being trafficked into the UK to work in the sex trade,or domestic servants working for rich foreign families in London,or even the Africans being enslaved by the Bedouins.
Banned
hooray henry

Slave trade is alive and kicking still but its not being done by whites … Slave trade is alive and kicking still but its not being done by whites on blacks so its all ok.... and before some do-gooder says it isnt ask some of the people being trafficked into the UK to work in the sex trade,or domestic servants working for rich foreign families in London,or even the Africans being enslaved by the Bedouins.

true say
or the gulf states enslaving millions of people from asia to work to death for them.
we are very lucky we live in britain
Original Poster
Warp7

it is distasteful though ilovepink imhogood we debate it though

i meant on my site, although the majority dont have a problem with it, not fair of me to ban something for sale which isnt banned
Predikuesi

The only people who think Gollies are offensive are people who think … The only people who think Gollies are offensive are people who think other people might think them offensive.

That is one of the most intelligent comments ever stated about the subject of Golliwogs. Well said, thank you.
Honestly don't see what the fuss is about.....had one as a child and LOVED it till it fell to pieces.....never once looked at it and made any association with skin colour....it was just my Golly and much loved. Have to say I think the Politically Correct Brigade have an awful lot to answer for!
luvvlychocolate

Honestly don't see what the fuss is about.....had one as a child and … Honestly don't see what the fuss is about.....had one as a child and LOVED it till it fell to pieces.....never once looked at it and made any association with skin colour....it was just my Golly and much loved. Have to say I think the Politically Correct Brigade have an awful lot to answer for!

i guess i just hated them as a kid...never saw anything nice about them for kids...i do think it was ott that they wrote the golly out of enid blyton tho
Banned
ilovepink

Not illegal to sell, there is something about retail shops not being allowed to advertise in the window

Any forget the gollys whats your site

EVERYONE TO PINKIES SITE
Predikuesi

The only people who think Gollies are offensive are people who think … The only people who think Gollies are offensive are people who think other people might think them offensive.

Very true........I know lots of black people my generation who still have their stuffed gollies and I have my pin badge collection X)
Edited by: "choc1969" 16th Dec 2011
Banned
ilovepink

i meant on my site, although the majority dont have a problem with it, … i meant on my site, although the majority dont have a problem with it, not fair of me to ban something for sale which isnt banned

cool
i hate to be politically correct, but they were originally a **** take of black people
from a time when we white people thought blacks were a subspecies
a bit like having a lions head on your wall, shot by the aristocracy

i can understand why its a collectors item, and i can understand why most of the people who collect them have not a bad bone in them

just i do think its distasteful
unless we all get over ourselves and take the **** out of everything, which would probably be more healthy

i am happy to be corrected though
churchill

oops X)
Banned
choc1969

Very true........I know lots of black people my generation who still have … Very true........I know lots of black people my generation who still have their stuffed gollies and I have my in badge collection X)

do love to hear Choc1969's opinion
Banned
the golly is very collectable
Banned
ok i repent
i love gollywogs
i love their big lipped grin, and i love their big afro's
man do i love to see some dancing sir, oh yes sir, thank you sir
I sell them in my shop. Some people think they are banned though where they got that idea from nobody knows - must be easily led!
I have sold gollies to two different black people - they each bought two - they came in twice each. They laugh at them and think they are really cute - as we do because we sell them.
If you went to - say Africa, and saw white coloured rag dolls in a toy shop window, would a white person be offended? I wouldn't - I would just think it was a soft toy. The whole world is going mad with all this PC stuff. We live on a planet where everyone should be treated the same and no one should have the right to tell anyone else where they can live. The sooner we teach the brainless this reality, the sooner racism will disappear.
If life comes visiting from another planet, would they discrmininate - no they would just eat us regardless of colour!
Let's all get along.....................
dcx_badass

Yes, due to some moaners the slave trade is sadly now banned.Oh you meant … Yes, due to some moaners the slave trade is sadly now banned.Oh you meant the dolls.

This reminds me. In York, there's an estate agent called Blacks. Because of this, everywhere you go in hte city you'll see signs like this:

http://pics.kuvaton.com/kuvei/blacks_for_sale.jpg
Banned
http://www.gollydownunder.com/HKG%2006.jpg

no problems downunder....suprise suprise

gollydownunder.com/gol…tml

Edited by: "casparwhite" 28th Jan 2012
Banned
Would it be legal to sell a gay doll?
Banned
Elton Chong

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/funny-gifs-proboscis-monkey-eating.gif
deleted265520
Elton Chong

Please don't influence Miles.
Banned
http://to55er.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/inflatable-male-doll.jpg

I had to google that in private browsing lol X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants