Quick Question Car insurance

Posted 29th Oct
Hi

It’s day 16 and car insurance have asked that I provide the following for my policy the policy hasn’t even started yet which is the 5th of November:-

Front and back of the photocard driving licence of all drivers named on your policy, including yours
The unique check code from the DVLA website for all drivers named on the policy, including yours
Proof of your home address, dated within the last 3 months

Then are threatening:-

If we don’t receive the above documents by 19th November 2019, your policy will be cancelled and, in accordance with the policy terms and conditions, an administration fee of £75 will be charged. Your insurance is based upon the information given when you bought the policy.

I can provide all details of myself fine. The issue is a person that was named on my insurance has done an unforgivable thing recently. Said person won’t be within 5 miles of me now because of it. That aside I find myself in the predicament of how do I play this out for the best. Will they want to play this out for their own agenda of fees for this and that. As it’s over 14 days (ironically) my understanding is I am best explaining and then paying the amendment fee. I suppose my question is how much will they push their agenda for demanding the information above (which just isn’t possible) before they allow me to amend policy? I understand that if they cancel it puts me in a very bad situation having to declare I have had this as an insurer cancel on all future policies I take out. Do I have any protection in that the policy isn’t live? Or is it 14 days regardless?... headache
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Then ring up and cancel the policy. If you cancel it you will pay an admin fee but you won’t have to declare it as cancelled by the insurer as it’s effectively cancelled by the policy holder which you are entitled to do at any time (you will be charged an admin fee which you will have to pay).

Then just create a new policy somewhere else.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 29th Oct
Surely it’s 14 days from the policy start date the cooling off period
Give them a quick call and see what your options are
I’ve never had to provide details like that who are you even dealing with I wonder
Edited by: "snoopy18" 29th Oct
Take the person off before it starts you can amend for free before it starts and that way you can provide all info no bother
As above just take the other person off the policy.
I'm with Sky Insurance as I've always got sporty cars and for the first time ever this year they wanted all the same details you've been asked, driving licence, the dvla code to check points, and my NCB. I did say I've been with you x amount of years you already have my NCB

Oh and another thing be careful who you add on your policy or get added to. A friend of mine put me on his policy, didn't provide the above details and they kind of blacklisted him. When I went to do a quote they wouldnt touch me, seems because I was a named drive on his policy I've been blacklisted with them as well. That was with Hastings Direct
Edited by: "Toon_army" 29th Oct
As said above, get them to just remove the other "named driver" from the policy. They won't require any of their details if they are not going to be part of the policy, will they. If they charge a small 'amendment' fee then so be it. At least it solves your immediate issue.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Regards, Phsy.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 29th Oct
Is the other named driver your misses?
tregs29/10/2019 18:25

Is the other named driver your misses?

No lol not my misses. She’s sorted now
My sister had similar from Churchill demanding copies of both sides of her photocard licence. I don’t know how I would manage with my old paper licence.

It’s unfair to impose these demands, having kept their intentions secret until after the cooling off period.
Edited by: "Doug_" 29th Oct
Doug_29/10/2019 20:02

My sister had similar from Churchill demanding copies of both sides of her …My sister had similar from Churchill demanding copies of both sides of her photocard licence. I don’t know how I would managed with my old paper licence.It’s unfair to impose these demands, having kept their intentions secret until after the cooling off period.

Yes I have noticed there seems to be a big boom in further verifications. It’s probably a great business model for insurance companies to “check” after the 14 days. So if there are any mistakes they can impose their fees to line their pockets. I don’t have a problem in them verifying, that’s a positive thing to check everyone is telling the complete truth & iron out mistakes. In the email these were the utter bs justification of why, which are all bs. I only ran one quote & it was through confused, didn’t change dates of held license & what does 12am have to do with the price of bread?

Our checks relating to your insurance policy have shown:

-Multiple quotes were requested with different dates of how long you held your driving licence
-Multiple quotes were requested with different dates of how long your named driver(s) held their driving licence
-12:00:00 AM
Indemnity purposes.

Spill the beans on what this person has done...I’m curious...
This is a scam. I can't recall the company but they are on one of the comparison sites they give you the cheapest quote and than ask for ridiculous amounts of stuff. If you give the DVLA password, why do they need copy of your license.
The scam is you fail to meet any of thier multiple demands. Cancel your insurance and keep your big deposit and charge you £75 admin fee
Some people gave all the information only to be still sent correspondence stating they need the info , making people resubmit all the info.
Edited by: "adamderak" 29th Oct
Who the heck did you insure with?! If the person isn’t in your life, they also don’t need insurance. I’m sure this info was all in the T&C’s when you signed up. You/your vehicle/your additional drivers must be some kind of risk to have all these terms imposed. Presumably they were chosen by you as your best/only option, so you probably have to suck it up unfortunately. The worst I’ve ever had insisted upon was my NCD proof.
Doug_29/10/2019 20:02

My sister had similar from Churchill demanding copies of both sides of her …My sister had similar from Churchill demanding copies of both sides of her photocard licence. I don’t know how I would manage with my old paper licence.It’s unfair to impose these demands, having kept their intentions secret until after the cooling off period.

Have you not changed address since 1998?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants