quick question : does adding pci based cards expire the warranty on my dell pc ??

34 replies
Found 19th Feb 2009
there was no seals etc to be broken .... but would it void my warranty ?

34 Comments

Original Poster

anyone ??????

dont know but u need to feedback me sir

Original Poster

yea yeah when i remember

I wouldn't becuase you could tell if someones has opened a machine up, fingerprints lack of dust dust in pockets etc. But how longs the warranty for and how long you had the machine?

No, it doesnt void the warranty.

But if it does break dont tell them you have changed anything or they will not help.

Original Poster

i changed it when i got it ........ the same day :lol: i added a wireless card & graphics

i got it 27/4/08...... im looking to sell so need to know if the warranty is void (not like its gonna be needed.... never had a problem with the pc)

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;4422670

No, it doesnt void the warranty. But if it does break dont tell them you … No, it doesnt void the warranty. But if it does break dont tell them you have changed anything or they will not help.

all they would need to do is remove the 2 pci devices and send to dell ???

faevilangel;4422679

yeh, to be on the safe side.
but tbh i dont think they would care if there are extra cards unless they were causing the problems.

faevilangel;4422679

Sorry but you going to say remove two cards, the tech guys will notice the fact that screws might have threading and the lack of dust in two areas. I'm pretty sure any company would want to get out of a warranty if covering certain parts.

hey fae, is pc done yet

Original Poster

Adam2050;4422693

Sorry but you going to say remove two cards, the tech guys will notice … Sorry but you going to say remove two cards, the tech guys will notice the fact that screws might have threading and the lack of dust in two areas. I'm pretty sure any company would want to get out of a warranty if covering certain parts.

not like the pc is gonna get a major error :lol:

unless the buyer is a twit and does something

Adam2050;4422693

Sorry but you going to say remove two cards, the tech guys will notice … Sorry but you going to say remove two cards, the tech guys will notice the fact that screws might have threading and the lack of dust in two areas. I'm pretty sure any company would want to get out of a warranty if covering certain parts.

So, you are saying that a computer, which is meant to be interchangeable and upgradeable will have its warranty void if you add a tv tuner etc to it?
Doesnt sound right.

I know they wont help you if you have changed the os, but I havent heard of any problems with added pci cards, ram or hdd's etc.

Original Poster

Cluffy321;4422707

hey fae, is pc done yet

not had chance ....... stuff going on ...... will try it friday when im off work

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;4422713

So, you are saying that a computer, which is meant to be interchangeable … So, you are saying that a computer, which is meant to be interchangeable and upgradeable will have its warranty void if you add a tv tuner etc to it?Doesnt sound right. I know they wont help you if you have changed the os, but I havent heard of any problems with added pci cards, ram or hdd's etc.

im sure dell would repair (for the last 68 days) even if i changed the pci cards

faevilangel;4422723

im sure dell would repair (for the last 68 days) even if i changed the … im sure dell would repair (for the last 68 days) even if i changed the pci cards

Yeh im sure as well.

deathtrap3000;4422713

So, you are saying that a computer, which is meant to be interchangeable … So, you are saying that a computer, which is meant to be interchangeable and upgradeable will have its warranty void if you add a tv tuner etc to it?Doesnt sound right. I know they wont help you if you have changed the os, but I havent heard of any problems with added pci cards, ram or hdd's etc.

I'm saying its dependant of warranty lets face it theres so many people claiming to know a lot about pcs because they installed a printer these days and they don't want to admit to themselves they stuffed a computer till they call you up saying oh this isn't working, well why is agp card rammed in the pci slot. Not saying any of you are muppets but you know what I mean. Easiest thing is just to phone them and ask about the warranty and adding cards.

Phoned up sony yesterday said id taken the hard drive out of the ps3 and it wasnt a problem

Original Poster

Adam2050;4422732

I'm saying its dependant of warranty lets face it theres so many people … I'm saying its dependant of warranty lets face it theres so many people claiming to know a lot about pcs because they installed a printer these days and they don't want to admit to themselves they stuffed a computer till they call you up saying oh this isn't working, well why is agp card rammed in the pci slot. Not saying any of you are muppets but you know what I mean. Easiest thing is just to phone them and ask about the warranty and adding cards. Phoned up sony yesterday said id taken the hard drive out of the ps3 and it wasnt a problem

im a pc builder (im building one for cluffy :lol:) so i know difference between agp and pci

so this is resolved dell would fix but unlikely to be needed

faevilangel;4422740

im a pc builder (im building one for cluffy :lol:) so i know difference … im a pc builder (im building one for cluffy :lol:) so i know difference between agp and pci :)so this is resolved dell would fix but unlikely to be needed

Wasn't aimed at you was aimed at buyer (hyperthethical if thats how you spell it).

I doubt the pc's going go wrong anyway. Still have parts from 15 years ago. Had machines that worked for that long, I really don't see how people break things that don't have moving parts..

Also I have a lot of cables im trying to shift if your in need of any just ask.

Original Poster

Adam2050;4422744

Wasn't aimed at you was aimed at buyer (hyperthethical if thats how you … Wasn't aimed at you was aimed at buyer (hyperthethical if thats how you spell it).I doubt the pc's going go wrong anyway. Still have parts from 15 years ago. Had machines that worked for that long, I really don't see how people break things that don't have moving parts..Also I have a lot of cables im trying to shift if your in need of any just ask.

i have custom built a few pc's and ripped open a couple of dell's & hp's and never gone wrong

so i dont know how people mess them up (mostly its the hd that fails)

i have more than enough cables (unfortunately,) but thanks :thumbsup:

faevilangel;4422751

i have custom built a few pc's and ripped open a couple of dell's & hp's … i have custom built a few pc's and ripped open a couple of dell's & hp's and never gone wrong :oso i dont know how people mess them up (mostly its the hd that fails) i have more than enough cables (unfortunately,) but thanks :thumbsup:

Yeh it frustrates me too.

Cables man so many, think im going to start a gallery of them. Don't want to through them just incase I ever need them

Original Poster

Adam2050;4422754

Yeh it frustrates me too.Cables man so many, think im going to start a … Yeh it frustrates me too.Cables man so many, think im going to start a gallery of them. Don't want to through them just incase I ever need them

yea i say the same :lol: always someone wanting one ........ or i end up needing it :lol:

No, it doesn't - simple question, simple answer. Just advise the buyer to remove the cards before making a warranty claim

Original Poster

any idea how much it would be to extend warranty if the buyer wishes ???

faevilangel;4422779

any idea how much it would be to extend warranty if the buyer wishes ???

Not sure, but TBH its probably not worth it on a desktop... (Most likely thing to go is a hard drive, and if that breaks its not the expense but the loss of data thats the pain....)

Original Poster

jah128;4422816

Not sure, but TBH its probably not worth it on a desktop... (Most likely … Not sure, but TBH its probably not worth it on a desktop... (Most likely thing to go is a hard drive, and if that breaks its not the expense but the loss of data thats the pain....)

all my data is backed to a usb hd so im safe :lol:

if my hd failed i would just send to the manufcturer (think they are seagates but not sure) under the hd warranty

faevilangel;4422837

all my data is backed to a usb hd so im safe :lol:if my hd failed i would … all my data is backed to a usb hd so im safe :lol:if my hd failed i would just send to the manufcturer (think they are seagates but not sure) under the hd warranty

Yeah, it *should* be under a 5 year warranty anyway if its a Seagate (but I'm not 100% the ones shipped to Dell/other OEMs are given the same warranty). Its one of those things - build you own from OEM parts and most bits are covered by at least a 2 year warranty anyway, buy a prebuilt system and its not so clear cut...

If you wanted to make sure, you can look on the drive and enter the serial number on the Seagate site and it will tell you the drives warranty status :thumbsup:

Original Poster

jah128;4422850

Yeah, it *should* be under a 5 year warranty anyway if its a Seagate (but … Yeah, it *should* be under a 5 year warranty anyway if its a Seagate (but I'm not 100% the ones shipped to Dell/other OEMs are given the same warranty). Its one of those things - build you own from OEM parts and most bits are covered by at least a 2 year warranty anyway, buy a prebuilt system and its not so clear cut...If you wanted to make sure, you can look on the drive and enter the serial number on the Seagate site and it will tell you the drives warranty status :thumbsup:

will have a look if i get chance, thanks for that :thumbsup:

just checked on the pc settings and they are western digitals .. know if i can check their warranty ??

Heres the Seagate link: support.seagate.com/cus…jsp

Most the other manufacturers have a similar service I think, check 'support' on their webpages....

Original Poster

jah128;4422871

Heres the Seagate link: … Heres the Seagate link: http://support.seagate.com/customer/warranty_validation.jspMost the other manufacturers have a similar service I think, check 'support' on their webpages....

the western digital one is websupport.wdc.com/war…asp

any idea what price i should look for ?? (last time i asked a mod closed cos people kept offering :o)

Intel core2duo e4500 2.2ghz cpu
stock intel heatsink
3GB of Ram
2 x 500 TB hard drives
Nvidia 8400 GS graphics card
Belkin 54mbps wireless card (no idea on model # etc)

Its not a bad spec but 2nd hand desktops are a bit hard to sell - maybe £2xx ish (a 1GB drive is ~£70 new, the chips worth about £50, the ram £25 plus the graphics, vista and the rest etc)

Original Poster

liddle ol me sold a less powerful one, less hd space and less ram for £220 or so so looking around £250 ???

the 8400 gs is about £30-£40

Yeah you might get that, I'd probably accept £2xx if it was offered though. You could take one of the drives out and make it a USB drive (or put it in your new desktop) though... Its all down to where you sell it really, you would probably get the most selling locally, then maybe ebay, then here...

Original Poster

jah128;4422934

Yeah you might get that, I'd probably accept a lower price if it was … Yeah you might get that, I'd probably accept a lower price if it was offered though. You could take one of the drives out and make it a USB drive (or put it in your new desktop) though... Its all down to where you sell it really, you would probably get the most selling locally, then maybe ebay, then here...

im downgrading to laptop so gonna keep both drives in it (i have everything backed to a 250Gb usb drive so i got enough storage :))

im gonna try here first then see if ebay gets it

thanks for your advice

No probs, stick it on here for £250 and see if you get any offers... (I'll remove my commented prices to not jeapordise your sale but you've quoted me so best blank it out there too!)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244871
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322826
    3. Misco about to go into administration912
    4. Add one, leave one game54315392

See more discussions