Expired

Quick question, why does my Crucial (Micron) RAM have Hynix chips?

Found 18th Apr 2013
Last I was aware Micron and Hynix were rivals of each other. I have a 4GB DDR2 6400 800MHz Crucial stick with Hynix chips on it.
Bought from Amazon UK direct in 2011.
Did someone just stick the Crucial label on a 4GB Hynix RAM and also put it in in a very legit looking Crucial blister package, or do Crucial aka Micron get in bed with Hynix from time-to-time for the chips?
Community Updates
AskCrucialRAM
10 Comments
Micron and hynix did have a joint venture at one point. Micron had a stake in hynix and also bought some of hynix fab plants.

Crucial runs as a separate company. Although they do mainly supply micron stuff they do also buy in from third parties, and after all memory chips are commodity products.
Original Poster
mas99

Micron and hynix did have a joint venture at one point. Micron had a … Micron and hynix did have a joint venture at one point. Micron had a stake in hynix and also bought some of hynix fab plants.Crucial runs as a separate company. Although they do mainly supply micron stuff they do also buy in from third parties, and after all memory chips are commodity products.

Yeah I did find the first point of yours online about a joint venture back in 2001 I think.
Your second point though is more like this...Crucial IS Micron. Just Micron use the Crucial name for retail.

As far as I am aware there should be no reason for a Crucial (read as Micron) stick of ram to use Hynix chips.

Cheers for the quick reply - I have bought Crucial/Micron RAM for over 20 years and never had a stick with Hynix chips on until now which makes me wonder...
I've seen it mentioned a couple of times but always in relation to memory for macs eg

vitaphone.net/web…tml

Original Poster
I went direct for the answer in a Crucial chat right now and they are interested as they just confirmed we NEVER use Hynix chips.
Original Poster
I will post the chat in here soon just emailing pics to them.
be interesting to see the respnce given that they clearly do use hynix.
Original Poster
Here's the chat and the pics...
Original Poster
Welcome to Crucial's.com's Expert Online. An Expert Online agent will join you in a moment... Please do not begin typing until you have been connected to an agent.

Hello, my name is Sydni . How may I help you?

Me: Hi sorry to take up your time. I am concerned with a stick of Crucial Ram I have bought direct off Amazon UK.

Sydni : Are you living in the UK?

Me: It is a 4GB DDR2 SODIMM 6400 800MHz and I hoped I could check if you ever use Hynix chips

Me: yes in UK sorry

Sydni : No, we never use Hynix chips.

Me: I was under the impression that Hynix were a rival as I have always bought Crucial/Micron RAM for 20+ years

Me: that is what i thought

Sydni : They are a different manufacturer.

Me: The item has a Crucial sticker on it and came in an official looking Crucial blister package

Me: I can run a program on it called Speccy by Piriform which gives me all info about the stick of RAM and even that reports it as Crucial

Me: is there some kind of fraud happening do you think?

Sydni : Was if from a individual seller on Amazon or from Amazon as a company reseller?

Me: Actually from Amazon themselves so Amazon UK 2 secs i will paste it in....

Me: Items Ordered Price
1 of: Crucial Sodimm Laptop Memory Upgrade (4GB,200-pin,DDR2 PC2-6400,Cl=6,1.8v)[Personal Computers]
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

Me: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. is Amazon direct

Sydni : Okay. So, you said that you ran that diagnostic tool and it said Hynix? Is there any issues with the modules?

Me: sorry i said earlier that using speccy which i just installed again it reports this....

Me: in summary of my system a Samsung N510 ION netbook

Me: RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (6-6-6-18)

Me: and the detailed area states this for ram

Me: RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 2
Used memory slots 1
Free memory slots 1
Memory
Type DDR2
Size 4096 MBytes
Channels # Single
DRAM Frequency 400.0 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 6 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 6 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 6 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 18 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 24 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 41 %
Total Physical 2.50 GB
Available Physical 1.46 GB
Total Virtual 5.89 GB
Available Virtual 4.95 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 1
Slot #1
Type DDR2
Size 4096 MBytes
Manufacturer Crucial Technology
Max Bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Serial Number FFFFFFFF
Week/year 11 / 07
SPD Ext. EPP
JEDEC #3
Frequency 400.0 MHz
CAS# Latency 6.0
RAS# To CAS# 6
RAS# Precharge 6
tRAS 18
tRC 24
Voltage 1.800 V
JEDEC #2
Frequency 333.3 MHz
CAS# Latency 5.0
RAS# To CAS# 6

Me: Earlier you typed: Sydni : No, we never use Hynix chips.

Sydni : Manufacturer Crucial Technology. Size 4096 MBytes. That's good. What particularly are you requesting me to look at?

Me: I just found this someone emailled me the link: http://www.vitaphone.net/weblog/geek/crucial-hynix.html

Me: I'm just trying to find out if I have been missold Hynix ram or not by Amazon

Sydni : No, and I can't confirm that information because we don't ship modules from Hynix. He was maybe talking about ordering a module from a reseller who also sold Hynix and used there own discretion to ship out that product. I also don't see a Crucial sticker on that module. So he obviously was just shipped a Hynix module.

Sydni : Your's says Crucial and your computer recognizes it as Crucial, so there shouldn't be an issue for you regardless.

Sydni : Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Me: I don't see a Crucial sticker on that photo either to be honest with you however on my actual stick of RAM in this netbook I'm chatting to you on, there is a very pristine Crucial sticker on a stick with Hynix chips.

Sydni : How are you determining they are Hynix?

Me: I realise you are asking if there is anything else politely to end this due to time constraints for you so I will end on this.. thankyou for you resonses and help advice on this matter, I leave this chat advised by yourself that Crucial do NOT use Hynix chips ever. Many thanks

Me: they actual chips have hynix printed on them

Me: the actual i meant

Me: hey hang on that web link i sent you look closer again

Me: the left of the stick has a Hynix sticker on it (orange text) but the right side has a Crucial sticker on it (Blue logo/black text)

Me: http://www.vitaphone.net/weblog/geek/crucial-hynix.html

Sydni : If you want to send in an attached photo we can look into this for you. This is for all purposes a Crucial modules covered by our warrantee. We may use some of the same parts as Hynix, but it is definitely not an issue of stock where we just ship out a different brand.

Sydni : That's the only reason I can think of that the module would have printed on it Hynix.

Me: I have to say I have found you very helpful and would be happy to send photos of the packaging and the front and back of the 4gb stick - how would be best

Me: Just upload them to a service with cloud storage for images?

Sydni : You can send an e-mail to crucialeusupport@micron.com.

Sydni : As an attachment.

Me: ok will do in the next 10mins - also I have no problem if Crucial/Micorn are/were using Hynix chips at any point, but I don't want to have been mislead by Amazon nor would I think you guys would want to be misrepresented if you have never used Hynix chips on your sticks of RAM

Me: *Micron

Sydni : We will await your e-mail. I was happy to assist you, and I hope I was able to answer all of your questions today. Thank you for visiting Crucial.com, and have a wonderful day.
Thank you for using Expert Online. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.
Thats a maybe then ?
:-)
Original Poster
mas99

Thats a maybe then ?:-)

Cheers for your help mas99 and the link I passed on to Syndi in the chat here's the actual 100% fact answer from Crucial via email to me...

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your reply. I can confirm that you have not been miss sold your new memory modules and these are Crucial parts.

Although we are a manufacturer and the majority of time we use our own Micron chips from time to time we do use other companies memory chips and Hynix is a company we can use.

Please be assured that you are still receiving the same quality RAM and these parts go through our very stringent testing procedures and we would never put inferior parts in our memory.

If you have any further questions or need further help, just let me know.

Kind Regards

James Anderson
eCommerce Sales and Support Agent

So there you go, Crucial do actually use Hynix chips sometimes (I'm guessing it was mainly for the 4GB DDR2 SODIMMS as I bet they did not sell many of those!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants