Quick survey if you can answer yes or no and maybe a bit of feedback thanks .

Found 9th Mar
would the lovely lot on hotukdeals answer this question.

if a local person in your area setup a catering services for parties like birthdays anniversaries ,selling sandwiches kebabs samosas pakoras curries and rice would you consider buying these items or is this type of food no very popular at these events. thanks
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
We have a few places that do this already. Local sandwich shop and a bakery dose it. You really need to try and see how it goes. Opinions on business ideas can differ but if you can afford to try then get on with it. Good luck and hope it works out for you
I'd say it depends on the area and if people you think may be interested in the type of food being sold will be hosting/attending the party. Good idea would be to ask people in your area if they would like the food you are selling and base the food choices on that (I am assuming this is a local catering service).
jamie01518 m ago

I'd say it depends on the area and if people you think may be interested …I'd say it depends on the area and if people you think may be interested in the type of food being sold will be hosting/attending the party. Good idea would be to ask people in your area if they would like the food you are selling and base the food choices on that (I am assuming this is a local catering service).

Haven't started yet just checking if it would be worth it or if even peeps would consider this type of food. How can I ask people in local area .I'm thinking it's should be similar across the country the view on if this is a suitable food type to be ordered say 2/3 days before the event or is it seen easier to use a takeaway on the day
MynameisM57 m ago

Haven't started yet just checking if it would be worth it or if even …Haven't started yet just checking if it would be worth it or if even peeps would consider this type of food. How can I ask people in local area .I'm thinking it's should be similar across the country the view on if this is a suitable food type to be ordered say 2/3 days before the event or is it seen easier to use a takeaway on the day

I meant that some areas might have different demographics so different food choices - the UK is quite multicultural after all. I would consider the types of food you listed for a more casual party (or maybe for snacks) but if you are hosting in a posh area, more premium events might be going on so less people may be interested.

If you think you've got an good idea, 100% go for it - good luck!
Yes provided they were properly registered, with food hygenine rating etc
Most people think of party food for events. For me it would be the stuff you get at the supermarkets as party food.
cmdr_elito27 m ago

Yes provided they were properly registered, with food hygenine rating etc

Bit of works in the spanners I arranged a appointment with the local council so they can come and suggest any important things I need to do to the kitchen. Know they have emailed me saying the boss has said they need charge 100 pounds for this visit seems very odd. Maybe I should register the business and start after 28 days that way I can feel for the amount of interest and see if it's too much pressure etc and also that way the council can come when they want for free very odd .
I'd need to find out if they really were...
33412213-gftSh.jpg
I have never used a catering company or plan to in the future. If I did I wouldn't choose that food.

But your local area could be very different to mine. So I suggest you research demand in the area you're planning to cover.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 9th Mar
ScubaDudes36 m ago

I have never used a catering company or plan to in the future. If I did I …I have never used a catering company or plan to in the future. If I did I wouldn't choose that food.But your local area could be very different to mine. So I suggest you research demand in the area you're planning to cover.

Thanks all info appreciated I'm similar never order takeaways either but thought there must be some demand any idea how I can find out demand in local area without going on social media and announcing my idea. Cheked there's 1 or 2 similar setups on fb in my area but that food doesn't seem like what I would be ordering looks more English type even though some things are listed as Chinese so maybe it would be a good that seems quite busy.
MynameisM15 h, 37 m ago

Bit of works in the spanners I arranged a appointment with the local …Bit of works in the spanners I arranged a appointment with the local council so they can come and suggest any important things I need to do to the kitchen. Know they have emailed me saying the boss has said they need charge 100 pounds for this visit seems very odd. Maybe I should register the business and start after 28 days that way I can feel for the amount of interest and see if it's too much pressure etc and also that way the council can come when they want for free very odd .

After reading this I'm sorry but its a big fat NO the reason been you are a risk to public health.

No food hygiene rating
I'm guessing as you don't like the sound of the £100 fee you have no public liability insurance which could be £100s for this type of high risk food.
I'm also guessing you have not done a food hygiene course level 2 or higher which the council will want to see.

Do not set up a bussiness selling food with out a food rating. You have absolutely no clue what you are doing the council will give really good adive for the £100 fee. Even if you buy the food from asda just to cook and didn't make it from scratch it's high risk food. For instance if you prepare food from home only you or people who are employed by you can use the dedicated toilet which the council will ask you about. Nobody else can use that toilet while you are working /preparing food including public or people who live with in your house. To me it sounds like you want to wing it as cheaply as possible. If that's the case I hope I have put you off doing it because the risks are too high you get it wrong you could be sued and public health will take you to court also and you will have fines and a criminal conviction.

If your serious about doing it then please take this as harsh advise and do it right.
larrylightweight34 m ago

After reading this I'm sorry but its a big fat NO the reason been you are …After reading this I'm sorry but its a big fat NO the reason been you are a risk to public health. No food hygiene ratingI'm guessing as you don't like the sound of the £100 fee you have no public liability insurance which could be £100s for this type of high risk food.I'm also guessing you have not done a food hygiene course level 2 or higher which the council will want to see.Do not set up a bussiness selling food with out a food rating. You have absolutely no clue what you are doing the council will give really good adive for the £100 fee. Even if you buy the food from asda just to cook and didn't make it from scratch it's high risk food. For instance if you prepare food from home only you or people who are employed by you can use the dedicated toilet which the council will ask you about. Nobody else can use that toilet while you are working /preparing food including public or people who live with in your house. To me it sounds like you want to wing it as cheaply as possible. If that's the case I hope I have put you off doing it because the risks are too high you get it wrong you could be sued and public health will take you to court also and you will have fines and a criminal conviction. If your serious about doing it then please take this as harsh advise and do it right.

I take the advice and have done must of the research. The point isn't about the council charging the 100 pounds it's more that they booked the appointment for me and everything and later the emailed to say that a new fee has been added the environmental officer apologised and has asked me if u want to keep the appointment or cancel it.

I think u have misunderstood me I haven't got anything in place haven't sold or started anything Yet I have considered all the insurance liability etc. Done the food hygiene course at level 2 as that is a good course to do.
But the issue is this if the council comes out and suggests works that maybe are too unrealistic or expensive then I wouldn't start this business. this I don't have a unlimited budget to throw at this project but it's definitely not like how u are putting it. If I register with the council it's free and I can legally start after 28 days that's the advice on the government website. but then the council will come out at some point Too inspect my property anyway for free so seems odd they can't offer this in first place. it would be all legal but like you say I may have missed out something vital or important so I wanted them to come out and suggest anything that needs doing. The main issue is there's really no full guidelines to follow for a home based food business vs one from a commercial property it's really upto each council and there health environmental officer to decide so the laws are a abit ambiguous on this subject. They maybe more lacked or strict on different things aswell. E.g. would they allow 2 bowl sink instead of the 2 sinks I'm commercial properties and possibly 1 fridge instead of 2 etc etc.
Edited by: "MynameisM" 10th Mar
MynameisM40 m ago

I take the advice and have done must of the research. The point isn't … I take the advice and have done must of the research. The point isn't about the council charging the 100 pounds it's more that they booked the appointment for me and everything and later the emailed to say that a new fee has been added the environmental officer apologised and has asked me if u want to keep the appointment or cancel it. I think u have misunderstood me I haven't got anything in place haven't sold or started anything Yet I have considered all the insurance liability etc. Done the food hygiene course at level 2 as that is a good course to do. But the issue is this if the council comes out and suggests works that maybe are too unrealistic or expensive then I wouldn't start this business. this I don't have a unlimited budget to throw at this project but it's definitely not like how u are putting it. If I register with the council it's free and I can legally start after 28 days that's the advice on the government website. but then the council will come out at some point Too inspect my property anyway for free so seems odd they can't offer this in first place. it would be all legal but like you say I may have missed out something vital or important so I wanted them to come out and suggest anything that needs doing. The main issue is there's really no full guidelines to follow for a home based food business vs one from a commercial property it's really upto each council and there health environmental officer to decide so the laws are a abit ambiguous on this subject. They maybe more lacked or strict on different things aswell. E.g. would they allow 2 bowl sink instead of the 2 sinks I'm commercial properties and possibly 1 fridge instead of 2 etc etc.

Now we got that out the way and you sound a bit more serious. It's a difficult bussiness to run from home that's for sure but not by any means impossible keep book and logs of everything keep cleaning logs aswell tbh there is just too much for me to write on here. I'd wait for that council appointment any thing you not sure of ask they are great at helping.

Good luck
Jumpingphil11 h, 26 m ago

Pointless idiot.

Oh you naughty boy
Haven't you read this:
hotukdeals.com/fee…142
We're all supposed to be nice to either other now. No name calling is allowed.

I won't report you though, because I'm not offended.
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell9th Mar

I'd need to find out if they really were...[Image]

What does that actually me I never clicked in.
MynameisM3 h, 31 m ago

What does that actually me I never clicked in.

You mentioned about wanting a "local" person.
The character in my post is from the TV show "The League of Gentlemen" and one of their catchphrases is: "Are you local?".
Edited by: "Derek_Horatio_Shatwell" 11th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants