Quickest CPU to replace an 13-2120?

Found 24th Oct 2017
Looking to try and upgrade my system to better play current games (1080 max resolution). Considering a GTX1060 graphics upgrade, but thinking that the old i3-2120 could also do with replacing. Can anyone tell me what the fastest gaming CPU is that will fit in my mobo (think it's a socket 1155)?

Many thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
9 Comments

What is the make and model of your motherboard?

i7 3770K probably your best bet providing you have a z68 or z77 board which supports it and overclocking

2500k or 3570k would do nicely it you don't have I7 money

2700K, but how much you willing to spend?
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 24th Oct 2017

Original Poster

parsimony22 h, 40 m ago

What is the make and model of your motherboard?

Thanks for looking, it's a Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3

Original Poster

RiverDragon820 h, 51 m ago

2700K, but how much you willing to spend?

Think I was just wanting to make sure I was looking at the right chips before seeing what they went for and deciding where the sweet spot was for me. Thanks for posting

Original Poster

So to give an idea, I want a system that's ready to play Far Cry 5. I'm not bothered about anything above 1080 resolution, and if I have to turn some bells and whistles down/off fair enough. But I want it to play at a decent frame rate and still look good, if you know what I mean

Johnny.Bravo39 m ago

So to give an idea, I want a system that's ready to play Far Cry 5. I'm …So to give an idea, I want a system that's ready to play Far Cry 5. I'm not bothered about anything above 1080 resolution, and if I have to turn some bells and whistles down/off fair enough. But I want it to play at a decent frame rate and still look good, if you know what I mean

get a 3770K

your motherboard supports it assuming your bios version is F13 or newer.

best you can get on that platform and it'll be good for gaming for a while.

Have a look at this website to get a comparison of CPU performance on LGA1155 cpubenchmark.net/soc…tml
Start with the fastest then drop back depending on your price range.
i7 3770K will be very good but expensive.
Double check that your chosen CPU is compatible with your motherboard here gigabyte.com/Mot…-10
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions