Found 26th Oct 2010
OK. Thinking of installing this on a small optiplex I have but just want a few pointers. the box I want to install it on has windows 7 installed with a load of vm machines that i use for testing etc.

i dont want to install xbmc directly onto this box as i feel it may interfere with all my other stuff? am i right?

therefore can i install it onto a usb stick and run xbmc as & when i need it on this machine & when i dont, simply unplug and boot from the win7 hd for all my other stuff.

advice appreciated.

1. Misc
  2. XBMC
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. XBMC
6 Comments

Banned

Yes, xbmc live installs nicely on a USB.

Original Poster

master_chief

Yes, xbmc live installs nicely on a USB.

ok, cheers. i have a NAS box with all my media stored on it. would I simply need to point xbmc to this box/share for it to pickup all my films/music etc. i take it that altho on a USB stick it would save all the settings after removal/shutdown etc.

Yes you just add the NAS box is as a source, the USB has a area for storing settings so it will remember the settings. The main issue I had with the USB version was getting the video settings correct, it seemed to detect my display incorrectly.

Banned

scoopy2scoops

Yes you just add the NAS box is as a source, the USB has a area for … Yes you just add the NAS box is as a source, the USB has a area for storing settings so it will remember the settings. The main issue I had with the USB version was getting the video settings correct, it seemed to detect my display incorrectly.

Forgot about this thread. Yes I had similar problems with the Live version that an install resolved but it did give me a good idea of the state of XBMC.

Original Poster

gonna give this a test over next week or so. ive heard some rave reviews about it since its initial release years ago, but never got round to it! now ive got a nice little box to install it on it would be a shame not to give it a go. cheers & I'l report any install here for other to read.

It really is awesome
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. BrightHouse to pay £14.8 MILLION in compensation to 249,000 customers55
    2. And you think you are having a bad day?11
    3. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games1219
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread429114688

See more discussions