Quiet extractor fan recommendation?

Found 7th Feb
Which ones are better the ones which switch off with the light or the ones which are in a timer?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Timer if its for the bog. Or for a shower/bath room to remove moisture and prevent condensation/black mould. Non timer if its in the kitchen.

Used three of these last year from Screwfix and am very happy
2041H Xpelair DX100BTS Extractor Fan 1 23.99

Note that effectiveness is governed by the length of pipe work, any bends in it and (enormously) by any grill over the exit from the pipe. Beware of blow back (wind coming back into the room) reducing effectiveness. If the exit faces the prevailing wind, use a cowl.
Edited by: "ccnp" 7th Feb
Just don’t go for a light pull switch, the click on/off sound will be more annoying than the extractor fan.
Toptrumpet55 s ago

Just don’t go for a light pull switch, the click on/off sound will be more …Just don’t go for a light pull switch, the click on/off sound will be more annoying than the extractor fan.

good point
ccnp21 m ago

Timer if its for the bog. Or for a shower/bath room to remove moisture …Timer if its for the bog. Or for a shower/bath room to remove moisture and prevent condensation/black mould. Non timer if its in the kitchen.Used three of these last year from Screwfix and am very happy2041H Xpelair DX100BTS Extractor Fan 1 23.99Note that effectiveness is governed by the length of pipe work, any bends in it and (enormously) by any grill over the exit from the pipe. Beware of blow back (wind coming back into the room) reducing effectiveness. If the exit faces the prevailing wind, use a cowl.

Can you just wire that one direct to the nearest lighting circuit? Fed up with having to put a humidifier in my shower room every morning so might go for fitting one of these if they are straighforward

cheers
You need a permanent live feed although some can work off the switched supply by using a capacitor. TBH, as this is in a shower, you should get an electrician (I would) and your responses suggests that would be a good idea. If it's upstairs with roof space access, a sparky should have no problem finding a spare live.
Edited by: "ccnp" 7th Feb
Thanks ccnp, chocci
An extra live wire is needed for the timer type fan, this can be taken from the switch or the switched live in the light fitting. You will also need an extractor fan switch.
ccnp2 h, 46 m ago

You need a permanent live feed although some can work off the switched …You need a permanent live feed although some can work off the switched supply by using a capacitor. TBH, as this is in a shower, you should get an electrician (I would) and your responses suggests that would be a good idea. If it's upstairs with roof space access, a sparky should have no problem finding a spare live.

Thanks. I think I'll leave it as is then as an electrician, plus the fan, an isolating switch and knocking a hole through isn't going to come cheap.
Edited by: "chocci" 7th Feb
Worth checking out whole house ventilation as it uses a heat exchanger to save of heat loss.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants