EXPIRED

Quiet PSU for use with Q6600

Hi everyone. I brought one of the Dell Quad Cores (Inspiron 530) that were on sale in Tesco the other week, and now I'm looking to upgrade the PSU after I added a Radeon 4850 GFX card and 4gb of DDR2 6400 RAM.

What would be a decent replacement for the stock PSU? Of course it would have to be as cheap as possible as well

Thanks

11 Comments

Original Poster

Will these PSU fit a Micro-ATX case? Thanks again

Beware. Dell machines of old had non standard connectors for the power supplies. Check that you current motherboard will accept the standard connectors. Also, I heard stories of the connectors being the same, but the lines being swapped around. Check very carefully first before you blow up some expensive components.

Original Poster

I believe other people have brought the same PC and changed the PSU over, so I hope I'd be ok doing the same :thumbsup:

The case is a bit tight though..........

Corsair are good

Why do you need to upgrade the PSU?

benwoodcock;2933129

Corsair are good :)Why do you need to upgrade the PSU?

4850 pusing the stock PSU probably.. Plus when you OC the Q6600 (which you really should do ..its nice at 3.1ghz :-D ) it eats more power

Original Poster

I think the GFX is now pushing the PSU a bit too far, just as you said. Also, I'd like one that's a bit quieter than the stock one.

EDIT: How do you OC the CPU on a Dell? I thought it wasn't possible?

Hi guys,

I bought one of these systems too :thumbsup:

I was hoping someone could clarify a decent graphics card I can use for Video Editing type of stuff and also if this would require a PSU update?

Does anyone know what kind of RAM these machines use? I want to upgrade to 4MB Ram but dont know which is compatible?

Any ideas guys...

Original Poster

You can go up to an Nvidia 8800GT (512mb) GFX card without needing a PSU. These can be brought for about 90 quid :thumbsup:

If you go to Crucial.com, they have a piece of software that scans your PC and tells you what memory you have in your PC. The RAM I had in mine was 2 x 1GB DDR2 667mhz (PC 5300)

Banned

ValiantSaint;2947747

You can go up to an Nvidia 8800GT (512mb) GFX card without needing a PSU. … You can go up to an Nvidia 8800GT (512mb) GFX card without needing a PSU. These can be brought for about 90 quid :thumbsup:If you go to Crucial.com, they have a piece of software that scans your PC and tells you what memory you have in your PC. The RAM I had in mine was 2 x 1GB DDR2 667mhz (PC 5300)

can you recommend any particular one,pny etc,,reason i ask some say 400,450 watts or over on the side of the box and!:?

Banned

got it to go nvidia drivers of all things ,,,like **** of a shovel now!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Car Leasing Deals (Audi, Golf or Scirocco)11
    2. Electricity11
    3. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    4. Which Camera?!!!22

See more discussions