Quitting a job

Posted 15th Sep
I am quitting my job after 21 years of service because i am leaving the country. I will hand my resignation 30 days before i need finishing as requested. Does anybody know if a employer and an employee can have a consensual termination of contract in the UK. They do them in some European countries but never heard of it in the UK, saying that i have been working for so long that i don't know what the UK laws allow or not. Thank you
J
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
_Tris_15/09/2020 23:22

Why you leaving ? Was it boris?

No ;o), I am French and I have been living here for 31 years with my British wife and children. Just going to live a more rural, quiet life. I paid my due working for nearly 45 years, time to chill out a little bit
32 Comments
Where you off to?
Good Luck in your new Adventure.
I can't help on the termination contact, but.

Make sure you do this if you are leaving the country for a long time.
gov.uk/tax…-uk

You must tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if you’re either:

• leaving the UK to live abroad permanently
  • going to work abroad full-time for at least one full tax year
If an employer accepts an employee's notice to quit, the termination is deemed consensual.
Just quit! They will replace you in a heartbeat. Obviously they will need some form of notice.
How many days holiday have you got? You might be able to deduct them off of your notice period.
I recommend speaking to your employer about it.
If you mean can the 30 days be shortened/lengthened if both sides agree, then yes it can.
Pandamansays15/09/2020 23:06

If you mean can the 30 days be shortened/lengthened if both sides agree, …If you mean can the 30 days be shortened/lengthened if both sides agree, then yes it can.

No, what i meant was, i will give my notice (my manager now knows that i am going), but for example in France, you can get a consensual end of contract, and this allow you to enlist for example in a training course more easily.
Willy_Wonka15/09/2020 22:59

How many days holiday have you got? You might be able to deduct them off …How many days holiday have you got? You might be able to deduct them off of your notice period.

These will be paid to me when i leave if i am not taking them, that's what my manager told me

No ;o), I am French and I have been living here for 31 years with my British wife and children. Just going to live a more rural, quiet life. I paid my due working for nearly 45 years, time to chill out a little bit
jeannot1815/09/2020 23:24

No ;o), I am French and I have been living here for 31 years with my …No ;o), I am French and I have been living here for 31 years with my British wife and children. Just going to live a more rural, quiet life. I paid my due working for nearly 45 years, time to chill out a little bit

Good luck all the best😁
jeannot1815/09/2020 23:21

These will be paid to me when i leave if i am not taking them, that's what …These will be paid to me when i leave if i am not taking them, that's what my manager told me

Ok. So why are you asking the question if you have already spoken to your manager?

Every contract is negotiable so long as both parties agree & it is advisable to get it in writing to protect both parties.
Hope things go well for you

No ;o), I am French and I have been living here for 31 years with my …No ;o), I am French and I have been living here for 31 years with my British wife and children. Just going to live a more rural, quiet life. I paid my due working for nearly 45 years, time to chill out a little bit

You are definitely going to rural France for the cheap wine, you can't hide that fact from us!

Can I come please?

Watch it! The mods like to delete comments like this. Or maybe its just mine.
My last but one job was a short notice one, I was heading to another job and my employer at the time didn't have any project work to give me. I went to my boss (face to face) and outlined why I was doing it, I was very polite and gave him the justification. He was sorry to see me leave, but he allowed me to finish in two weeks instead of four.

My original contract was still four weeks, but I got a letter of acceptance saying that we mutually agreed to reduce it to two. Their HR put the letter together.

So in summary, yes it's possible, just ask.
So is it the case that if you resign then you aren't eligible to get on the training course? But if the company lets you go then you are?

I'd talk to your manager and see what can be done. Maybe they can give you a letter confirming the end of your contract by mutal agreement?
The issue you will have is that the employer will want to make sure that they are not opening themselves up to any potential legal claim.
Are you sure that for that length of service your notice period is only a month?
clostridium_botulinum15/09/2020 22:45

If an employer accepts an employee's notice to quit, the termination is …If an employer accepts an employee's notice to quit, the termination is deemed consensual.

IF? Surely if an employee wants to quit, they cannot refuse (ok they can offer a bigger carrot) but they cannot dismiss it, didn't we abolish slavery?
Enjoy your freedom.
Willy_Wonka15/09/2020 23:30

Ok. So why are you asking the question if you have already spoken to your …Ok. So why are you asking the question if you have already spoken to your manager?Every contract is negotiable so long as both parties agree & it is advisable to get it in writing to protect both parties.

Because I spoke to the Dole people in France, apparently i am entitled to get something but it is better if i have parted from my current job in a consensual manner. First time in my life i will be claiming benefits, feels strange but if I deserve something why not. I will try to find a job though but not sure who want to hire an old 59 years old grumpy guy
JimboParrot16/09/2020 09:24

Are you sure that for that length of service your notice period is only a …Are you sure that for that length of service your notice period is only a month?

Apparently yes, i am not management, if i were it would be up to 90 days
slimy3116/09/2020 07:54

My last but one job was a short notice one, I was heading to another job …My last but one job was a short notice one, I was heading to another job and my employer at the time didn't have any project work to give me. I went to my boss (face to face) and outlined why I was doing it, I was very polite and gave him the justification. He was sorry to see me leave, but he allowed me to finish in two weeks instead of four. My original contract was still four weeks, but I got a letter of acceptance saying that we mutually agreed to reduce it to two. Their HR put the letter together. So in summary, yes it's possible, just ask.

Thanks for that, that exactly what i need
PenguinsForAll15/09/2020 23:50

You are definitely going to rural France for the cheap wine, you can't …You are definitely going to rural France for the cheap wine, you can't hide that fact from us!

Wine? What's that...
jeannot1816/09/2020 10:10

Because I spoke to the Dole people in France, apparently i am entitled to …Because I spoke to the Dole people in France, apparently i am entitled to get something but it is better if i have parted from my current job in a consensual manner. First time in my life i will be claiming benefits, feels strange but if I deserve something why not. I will try to find a job though but not sure who want to hire an old 59 years old grumpy guy

You won't get full benefits from England if you leave the job on your own accord. You would need them to make you redundant.
Willy_Wonka16/09/2020 15:22

You won't get full benefits from England if you leave the job on your own …You won't get full benefits from England if you leave the job on your own accord. You would need them to make you redundant.

I won't be claiming from England but France, all i need to do is work only 1 day out there (any temping position will do) and then I can claim. I would prefer to work part time maybe as I don't like the idea of claiming benefit, but if i cannot find anything and I am entitled to something, i will have to take it
Make your leaving date the last day of the month to get the leave entitlement. Most firms don't give leave credit for working part of a month.
Post a comment
@
    Text